2021 New Ford F150 Reveal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johndeere99

Reaction score
I despise the piano key shifter on my navigator. Please don't go that way. When you back out of the garage or a parking space
you have to take your attention off your surroundings and refocus on the dash to make sure you get the right key for your selected gear. It's a Safety hazard in my opinion.

Idaho

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That was a curious bit as well. All the talk of a 5-link rear and yet it wasn't highlighted in any fashion during the release. I am genuinely surprised by that as it's a fairly big change and it makes me wonder if it is just common knowledge (and I missed it) so they skipped it, they didn't want to talk about it during the allotted time, or is it not happening after all?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's essentially still a '04 F150 with a slightly modified frame/suspension and the same '15+ aluminum cab.

Not sure why you continue to perpetuate this myth. Nothing is shared between a 2004 F-150 and a 2015+, never mind the new 2021 model. There is no “modified” frame or suspension; it was a clean-sheet design. Your theory about “moving crossmembers and calling it new” is completely bogus, the frames don’t even share the same metal composition, never mind design.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I wonder if the hybrid version is mated to a CVT, because that would suck.

The Hybrid F-150 uses Ford’s new 10R80MHT transmission, which is currently used on Explorer Hybrid. It has an electric motor between the engine and transmission that allows for hybrid drive, gas engine only, electric only, and regenerative braking.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I despise the piano key shifter on my navigator. Please don't go that way. When you back out of the garage or a parking space
you have to take your attention off your surroundings and refocus on the dash to make sure you get the right key for your selected gear. It's a Safety hazard in my opinion.

Looking at what gear you are selecting is a safety issue? Maybe for you it is. I always look at what gear I put vehicles in, every time- unless it's a manual of course.

You see what Ford is up against here. Someone like me thinks any shiftier on the console is stupid and a waste of space, given it's just HUGE electric switch- it doesn't actually shift a damn thing. Someone like you hates the push buttons that I think are the 100% ideal solution. Both of us want to buy a new Ford in the future, who do they listen to? They do a market study and get 50 people in a room. If 35 want a big manual shifter, we get a big manual shifter.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not sure why you continue to perpetuate this myth. Nothing is shared between a 2004 F-150 and a 2015+, never mind the new 2021 model. There is no “modified” frame or suspension; it was a clean-sheet design. Your theory about “moving crossmembers and calling it new” is completely bogus, the frames don’t even share the same metal composition, never mind design.

Nothing is the same?

Seems to me that all the 2020 F150s have the exact same vacuum actuated hubs to me as the 2004 had. Yes? No? Am I wrong?

Seems to me that the front diff in a 2010 F150 Raptor is the same part used in a 2020 F150 Raptor. Yes? No? Am I wrong?

You are 100% arguing semantics. It's all been essentially the same since they ditched the torsion bars on the 1997-2004s for the coil overs that the 2004+ F150s have run for the last 15+ years. Yeah, the frame is not EXACTLY the same, of course. They have upgraded the steel types and thickness here and there to get better torsional rigidity to keep up with the market. The shock mount moved 3 mm to get better resistance to axle wrap, more suspension travel etc, blah blah.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nothing is the same?

Seems to me that all the 2020 F150s have the exact same vacuum actuated hubs to me as the 2004 had. Yes? No? Am I wrong?

Seems to me that the front diff in a 2010 F150 Raptor is the same part used in a 2020 F150 Raptor. Yes? No? Am I wrong?

Wrong on both counts. The IWEs are a completely different design and part number, along with the reservoir, lines, and solenoid.

The front axle housing on a 2020 is a completely different part number from a 2010. They didn’t just change the suffix, which indicates a revised or updated part. Everything from the casting to the axle housing tube to the axle stub shaft is different. 2010s used a stub shaft and flange to connect the driver’s side axle; on 2015+ models the axle installs directly into the differential.

You are 100% arguing semantics. It's all been essentially the same since they ditched the torsion bars on the 1997-2004s for the coil overs that the 2004+ F150s have run for the last 15+ years. Yeah, the frame is not EXACTLY the same, of course. They have upgraded the steel types and thickness here and there to get better torsional rigidity to keep up with the market. The shock mount moved 3 mm to get better resistance to axle wrap, more suspension travel etc, blah blah.

No, you are making 100% baseless, generalized statements. What “seems to you” or what you want to believe is irrelevant, the facts are what matter.

When the frame was all-new for 2015 (no parts or components interchange), Ford used 77% high strength steel (2014 was 23%), and employed a multi-thickness cross section and through welded crossmembers. Even with the massive increases in rigidity and strength, the new frame was 60lbs lighter than the 2014 due to the use of cold rolled high strength steel.