2021 F150 "work truck" faster than a Raptor.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mister Pinky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahhh TFL....drag races and rock crawling.

At least Ben Hardy, as cringy as he is, takes his trucks to the desert where these trucks were designed to run.

That’s not the point of the video. They’re trying to illustrate the difference the new Powerboost makes over the previous generation’s best motor.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That’s not the point of the video. They’re trying to illustrate the difference the new Powerboost makes over the previous generation’s best motor.

So you do it with two completely different vehicles instead of two that are the same except for the motor? That would actually be easy to do. And it would be a meaningful test. These guys are not rocket surgeons. They're clickbaiters. But they appear to be making money because their audience is not made up of brain scientists ...

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
agreed on the clickbait.

Now, take the same two trucks and line up on barstow main, or zoo road...

Or hell, anything with a couple of miles of bumps.

It would be cool to see someone take a hybrid truck and do midtravel, a cage and rear links, with some 40s and glass.

I'd bet that as long as you were able to fool all of the sensors, the thing would decimate most.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Leading me to think why Ford hasn’t realized power #’s yet. The Raptor is not the street 0-60 machine many think, but really an off road performer with plenty of power for what it needs. But Ford can’t have this new Gen 3 running slow at the back of the pack even on road, I would think against its work truck. But this will be the problem Ford will face when it’s BEV F-150 comes out and makes everything else look slow. But that this isn’t all apples to apples anyway.

which is why IMO they’re going to be slapping the big boy GT turbos on this final swan song of the “HO 3.5 EB” - it won’t be used in any other vehicle in fords lineup.

then the Raptor to get will be a “regular” one....a tune would make it ridiculous

my guess is higher compression ratio, revised intake/exhaust, & bigger snails giving it 500-550hp & 600tq

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Remember, they are also testing a mile above sea level. Even with turbos, you still lose power due to the lower air density. The PowerBoost’s electric motor is unaffected by altitude, giving it an advantage. In professional testing (C&D, Motortrend), the Raptor is slightly faster 0-60:

Raptor: 5.1
PowerBoost: 5.4

Reaction score
I have a 2018 XLT 5.0 liter and it is consistently faster than my gen 2 raptor. If you want something fast try a mustang or other poser mobile, if you want a really cool high performance off roader then the raptor is your ride.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a 2018 XLT 5.0 liter and it is consistently faster than my gen 2 raptor. If you want something fast try a mustang or other poser mobile, if you want a really cool high performance off roader then the raptor is your ride.

i drove one for a week across the Midwest recently & it didn’t feel quicker than my raptor, felt adequate, Raptor feels like it has more grunt off the line (b/c 4.10s I’m sure) & has noticeably more midrange

the 5.0 does seem to have more top-end stock

but sweet spot to me continues to be a tuned HO 3.5.......if they ever put this engine in a mustang I’d own one in a heartbeat

and while I agree a truck- Raptor or otherwise- Is not ever going to be “fast” or perform like an actual sports car/SUV- the Raptor does a pretty good job @ pretending, & on the street (@ least where I live) w/ all the potholes, uneven pavement, winding roads etc a tuned gen2 Raptor IS fast b/c you can hustle it around on those kind of bad road conditions in a way I simply cannot when I’m in my 700+ whp built Vette (especially when in AWD or if you’ve added deavers— why the IRS is gonna be huge in gen3 for eliminating wheel hop)

a truck w/ 450whp/500rwtq riding on 35”s w/ 4.10s, a 10 speed, a long travel suspension, & ability to run in AWD isn’t exactly a slow vehicle either lol

Last edited:

Richard Hinsley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Leading me to think why Ford hasn’t realized power #’s yet. The Raptor is not the street 0-60 machine many think, but really an off road performer with plenty of power for what it needs. But Ford can’t have this new Gen 3 running slow at the back of the pack even on road, I would think against its work truck. But this will be the problem Ford will face when it’s BEV F-150 comes out and makes everything else look slow. But that this isn’t all apples to apples anyway.
We will see a electric Raptor very soon. Electric trucks will make us look like dinosaurs. That's fine , I'll keep my dino.