2020 Whistle Sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lewis Raptor

Reaction score
I honestly think its coming from the rear end. The pitch doesn't change with gear selection or RPM. Very slight increase in volume under load. Its still present when coasting. Only changes pitch with speed.

I got a pretty good video of the noise, was going to upload it unlisted to YouTube and let you guys hear it, to see if its the same thing.

What parts are the same between the 150 and the Raptors? What could this be coming from? It sounds like my old 3.5 with an exhaust, but definitely isn't turbo whistle.

BC119

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to schedule a service in the coming weeks with a local dealership our business has a good relationship with. I'll see what they think when I take it up to them, and see if there is a fix for it.

For what it's worth, my dad's truck, which is an exact clone of mine in white that he bought from this dealer a few weeks before I bought mine, does not make the noise. I would assume if it were a transmission issue, his would make the noise as well, as there is far less variance in this part of the driveline.

After a little digging, apparently both the Raptors and the F150s with 3.55 e locker share the 9.75" rear end. This would leave me to believe that the rear end is the culprit, as there are a lot more variables that go into lash and torque settings that could cause issues, than most other things in the driveline.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When it gets like this, it's time for all new bearings, ring and pinion in the pumpkin.
Just under 20,000 miles. Luckily it was covered under warranty.

Last edited:

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm going to schedule a service in the coming weeks with a local dealership our business has a good relationship with. I'll see what they think when I take it up to them, and see if there is a fix for it.

For what it's worth, my dad's truck, which is an exact clone of mine in white that he bought from this dealer a few weeks before I bought mine, does not make the noise. I would assume if it were a transmission issue, his would make the noise as well, as there is far less variance in this part of the driveline.

After a little digging, apparently both the Raptors and the F150s with 3.55 e locker share the 9.75" rear end. This would leave me to believe that the rear end is the culprit, as there are a lot more variables that go into lash and torque settings that could cause issues, than most other things in the driveline.

All Raptor have 4:10 gears, front Torsen and non Torsen and rear e-locker
And the whole carrier is different between 3:55 and the 4:10 gears.
Unless Ford is just throwing in an offset or thicker ring to make up the size difference.

Last edited:

lka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When it gets like this it's time for all new bearings in the pumpkin. Luckily it was covered under warranty.

My 14 did that at around 80k, they replaced the whole rear end under warranty.

66fordsvt

Reaction score
Yes that sounds like mine as well. Did your trucks do this from new? I picked mine up with 15miles and didn't hear it till later that night with around 40miles.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nope, about three years later.
It was just one day after a spirited 135-140 on an empty highway in Rhode Island.
I was on my way to Tasca Ford to upgrade the Whipple SC from Stage 1 to Stage 2.

Last edited:

BC119

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its pretty loud in reverse too apparently. Found that out on the way down my driveway headed to the gym early this morning.

I picked my truck up with 45 miles on it and I remember hearing it when I drove off the lot, but thought it was turbo noise, coming from a pretty modded 3.5 prior.