2020 Transmission Issues ...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
update

Brought the truck in this morning, found that it was doing the "bucking" between gear 8/9 once in a blue moon. It was occurring 8th, gas applied and i would say 1/3 of the way to full throttle and was able to capture it on video. The transmission tech went for a ride with me, and of course, he babied it around those gears and said it was "fine, and that the car needs to re-learn my ways of driving because of the re-programming"

I told him that when I bought the truck with 12 miles on it that it needed to "learn my style of driving then, why wasn't this an issue then?" I showed him the video and he said they needed to keep the truck for a few days and drive it to have documented proof of it happening for them to move forward with any repairs.

Is the video I have enough proof to move forward? They already stated there was an issue with the valve body and one of my clutches was sticking, went ahead and attempted to repair it, and now the same issue is occurring at top end gears. They didn't fix the issue, and now a new one arises, aren't they responsible for my truck since they were the ones who messed it up even further?

And why didn't the technician let me do the driving of the vehicle when we went for a test drive?

the truck is bone stock, if there is a "class action lawsuit" regarding this

Last edited:
Reaction score
My 2020 had the same issue, really hard shift from 10th-5th particularly during a long sustained climb at highway speeds, say on a mountain pass. Three Ford dealers tried to diagnose, but it never did it around town and we don't have any hills close by so they always shrugged and said no can help. Finally it threw codes when it did it so I took it in and they replaced the Valve Control Assembly. Seems better now, but have not done the big hill yet.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
I just had my transmission replaced along with transmission cooler and lines.

The old transmission did shift hard into 5th gear and this one shifts really nice.

Seems like calling Customer Service and getting a Field engineer involved is great advice.

In my limited research I came across a few articles where it was stated the a failed by-pass valve has caused transmission failure in these transmissions although I don't believe it's common it does happen.

For what it's worth I had babied my transmission in comparison to how some folks treat them and they're supposed to be a stout transmission but anything mechanical can fail.

Good luck!

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
update

Brought the truck in this morning, found that it was doing the "bucking" between gear 8/9 once in a blue moon. It was occurring 8th, gas applied and i would say 1/3 of the way to full throttle and was able to capture it on video. The transmission tech went for a ride with me, and of course, he babied it around those gears and said it was "fine, and that the car needs to re-learn my ways of driving because of the re-programming"

I told him that when I bought the truck with 12 miles on it that it needed to "learn my style of driving then, why wasn't this an issue then?" I showed him the video and he said they needed to keep the truck for a few days and drive it to have documented proof of it happening for them to move forward with any repairs.

Is the video I have enough proof to move forward? They already stated there was an issue with the valve body and one of my clutches was sticking, went ahead and attempted to repair it, and now the same issue is occurring at top end gears. They didn't fix the issue, and now a new one arises, aren't they responsible for my truck since they were the ones who messed it up even further?

And why didn't the technician let me do the driving of the vehicle when we went for a test drive?

the truck is bone stock, if there is a "class action lawsuit" regarding this
Since the dealer has your Raptor now, did you do what @FordTechOne said to do and contact Ford about a field engineer visiting or calling the dealer to help with the diagnosis. What is this "class action law" jibberish you are talking about? Be proactive about your visit at the dealer, stay on top of things, ask the SA if he would like you to contact Ford about helping with the diagnosis, don't be smart ass about it, just let them know you are one step ahead of them and care about your vehicle getting repaired properly. Good luck.

ReconReggie19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same here. It shifts firmly but to claim it feels like “being rear ended” is a ridiculous exaggeration.

You're my man, hundred grand FordTech, but he's probably not exaggerating. Last week I was backing out of a parking lot, shifted to drive and BOOM!!! I swear to God I thought some ******* ran into the back of me. I was like WTF!! I have been having some harsh shifting that is progressively getting worse. As I'm just cruising sometimes it will shift like someone is giving me a love tap in the rear. Happened a few days ago and the screen lite up like 4th of July and went into limp mode. I was getting codes for everything. I haven't been driving in sport mode because of the harsh shifting in normal. My drop off service date is finally here 3/17 been waiting since early March. Truck is a 2017 everything stock no tune. Is there anything you recommend I tell them besides the obvious? But yes the Rearend collision shift is a real thing, I was getting ready to fight somebody, it was brutal. I had to get out to look under it to see if the rear diff cover was still intact.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You're my man, hundred grand FordTech, but he's probably not exaggerating. Last week I was backing out of a parking lot, shifted to drive and BOOM!!! I swear to God I thought some ******* ran into the back of me. I was like WTF!! I have been having some harsh shifting that is progressively getting worse. As I'm just cruising sometimes it will shift like someone is giving me a love tap in the rear. Happened a few days ago and the screen lite up like 4th of July and went into limp mode. I was getting codes for everything. I haven't been driving in sport mode because of the harsh shifting in normal. My drop off service date is finally here 3/17 been waiting since early March. Truck is a 2017 everything stock no tune. Is there anything you recommend I tell them besides the obvious? But yes the Rearend collision shift is a real thing, I was getting ready to fight somebody, it was brutal. I had to get out to look under it to see if the rear diff cover was still intact.

To clarify, I was referring to the normal shift firmness of the 5-6 shift in Sport mode, not a condition in which there is an actual transmission issue with DTCs setting. When the TCM goes into limp mode, it may turn up line pressure to avoid slipping clutches. The high line pressure is what causes the harsh engagement that you’re describing.

With the transmission shifting consistently poorly and DTCs setting, the dealer should have no issue diagnosing the root cause of the issue. Just explain to them what you wrote in your post, tell them which shifts are hard under which conditions and that multiple warnings lights came on in the cluster.