2020 Transmission Issues ...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Beinkounter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since you are clearly not speaking in hyperbole, I'm shocked most other Raptor owners simply describe Sport Mode shifting as "harsh" as opposed to being "rear ended". Sport mode does shift hard in my truck as well, but not like you say.

the reason I used hyperbole is to make the point regarding the claim that this is a feature, not a bug, which is that I understand firm shifting in sport mode and holding the gears longer, which is what happens with all the other gears. But from 5 to 6 (not exaggerating this time) its enough to spill your coffee if you are holding it, along with a noticeable thud, literally like a minor rear end collision. And I am not talking while flooring it, I am talking about normal, very light acceleration, as in 0-60 in 20 seconds driving like a grandpa. Anyway, its intermittent, and I stopped pursuing the issue with Ford because I don’t have the time or energy to deal with it. The truck is badass in every other aspect, so not a deal breaker for me.

Jason Krakauer

Reaction score
Hey - for what it's worth I just went through some similar BS w/ my '17 ... whole post on here from a few weeks back.

https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/transmission-fun-part-2.82164/

I had really hard 1-3 shifts (similar to get hit from behind ... ) and then it went into this wild 1-4-1-4 and neutral-fail nonsense when I would run it for the first time in the morning. I also had some flare-shifting in higher gears and a highway speed 9/10 shift hesitation. Long story, short - had the unit rebuilt (1x) and then torn down a second time to finally (we think) figure out there's a bad part ... one of the drums has a press-fit sleeve that "walks" and causes fluid leak-by. Read the thread for pics/explanation.

Thankfully, it's been running great for the last 1,000 miles ... all traced to that drum.

ReconReggie19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To clarify, I was referring to the normal shift firmness of the 5-6 shift in Sport mode, not a condition in which there is an actual transmission issue with DTCs setting. When the TCM goes into limp mode, it may turn up line pressure to avoid slipping clutches. The high line pressure is what causes the harsh engagement that you’re describing.

With the transmission shifting consistently poorly and DTCs setting, the dealer should have no issue diagnosing the root cause of the issue. Just explain to them what you wrote in your post, tell them which shifts are hard under which conditions and that multiple warnings lights came on in the cluster.
Roger that, Tango Mike. That's why you're Tha Man A Hundred Grand :cheers:

Turbo_lander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had my 17 with harash downshifts and even putting into drive it would clunk into gear. Ford dealer flashed a few times and problem would come back mostly after 4wd use. Then ended up doing a "mini" rebuild which included valve body and E-clutch. Got the truck back and it was fine until I put it into 4wd. Same bad shifting came back. Ended up going with a aftermarket tune and the truck shift the best it ever has but same problem came back after using 4wd. I have to reflash the transmission for it to shift right after everytime I use 4wd?!? About to flash it back to stock and have Ford look at it again.

alangsam1

Reaction score
i have a 2020 with 11000 miles. the 1 to 2 and 2 to 3 are very hard and all the rest buttery smooth. worst shifting transmission i have ever drove. makes no sense.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i have a 2020 with 11000 miles. the 1 to 2 and 2 to 3 are very hard and all the rest buttery smooth. worst shifting transmission i have ever drove. makes no sense.

Was it like that since new? Does it shift hard in both manual and auto mode? I'm curious because my '20 has 7,000 and has always shifted real nice.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
the reason I used hyperbole is to make the point regarding the claim that this is a feature, not a bug, which is that I understand firm shifting in sport mode and holding the gears longer, which is what happens with all the other gears. But from 5 to 6 (not exaggerating this time) its enough to spill your coffee if you are holding it, along with a noticeable thud, literally like a minor rear end collision. And I am not talking while flooring it, I am talking about normal, very light acceleration, as in 0-60 in 20 seconds driving like a grandpa. Anyway, its intermittent, and I stopped pursuing the issue with Ford because I don’t have the time or energy to deal with it. The truck is badass in every other aspect, so not a deal breaker for me.

Same exact issue here, 2/18. The 4-5 shift in sport is pretty violent most times, sometimes smooth though. Your description is spot on. Took it in, dealer noted the problem and agreed, Ford said it was normal. Anyone saying it's normal has not been in a truck that does it, I promise you.

I also get a flare shift going into 8th, I video'd the tachometer and you can see it rise up about 200 rpm during the shift before settling down.

If you have forscan, reset the tranny learning, it will help for a good while.

Kmorgs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only hard shift i have noticed in my 2020 is 3-4 when cold. However, i am tuned and have not noticed it with Goose TCM, only with Cobb OEM+ and Cobb Spot TCM Flash. Sounds like there is more at play then programming to me.