2020 Transmission Issues ...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hey guys,

The new owner of a 2020 Ford raptor, 7,000 miles on it, and now I'm having transmission issues. Apparently, this is a known issue that ford seems to disregard.

The truck "bucks/clunks" when shifting into gears 3/4/5, or when downshifting. My truck was at the local dealer, they found that clutch B was sticking. The valve body was replaced, all software was updated, all pressure lines were tested, along with transmission fluid being checked and good. I picked up the truck, after driving it for a bit I'm having the same issues again, now with more.

Today I was driving while in 10th gear? I had to take my foot off the gas, went to re-apply it to the gas pedal to take off and the transmission dropped into 4th/5th/6th, and never re-engaged, causing my engine to revline. I immediately took my foot off the gas, 4 seconds later I wait for the revline to come down, to gently re-apply the gas pedal and the same thing happened.

Everything above was done in normal mode, the clunking seems to occur when the engine is more when the transmission is cold, but will occur when its hot also. The only problem is this occurs intermittently. I was told the whole "the truck adapts to your driving.. blah blah blah"

I mentioned to them that maybe it could be a driveshaft issue? But it seems like most owners are consistently having these issues. Just wondering if anyone can shed some light on the above, it seems like i need a new transmission, but I'm trying not to jump through as many hoops as possible to get one.

Braaaaptor

Starbucks Enthusiast
Reaction score
The first issue is fairly common and a well documented quirk of the 10R80 transmission. Personally mine had a clunky 3rd gear in normal mode especially when the transmission was cold in the morning once setting off. I say had because I have a TCM tune via Cobb/Goosetune that has dramatically improved the feel and smoothness of the transmission. It can still be a little weird on the first shift or two in the morning but once warm it's night and day difference for how it was before. Since issue 2 is popping up I wouldn't recommend this solution to you as you seem to have an ongoing issue that necessitates dealer involvement and I wouldn't tune this issue away in the middle of getting it resolved.

Issue 2 seems downright dangerous and definitely worth continued trips to the dealer IMO. Paging @FordTechOne to offer some better support, I would continue to document your issues since the truck is so new and possibly consider trying a different dealer if that's feasible.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There is no “known issue” that is being disregarded, nor are “most owners consistently having issues.” If there were a known issue, there would be a TSB. Is the truck completely stock?

If your transmission is shifting abnormally harshly and neutraling out, there is clearly an issue that needs to be properly diagnosed. If the dealer repaired it and nothing changed, they misdiagnosed it. I would suggest contacting Ford Customer Care and requesting that a field engineer be involved since the dealer seems to be having trouble accurately diagnosing the concern.

Beinkounter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My transmission shift from 5 to 6 on sport mode, feels like the truck was violently rear ended. Ford said its normal and expected because thats what sport mode does!

Tried explaing to them that all other gears shift like butter on sport mode except 5-6, but they wouldn’t budge.

So I would say it isn’t beyond Ford to ignore an issue and pretend it doesn’t exist.

DFS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My transmission shift from 5 to 6 on sport mode, feels like the truck was violently rear ended. Ford said its normal and expected because thats what sport mode does!

Tried explaing to them that all other gears shift like butter on sport mode except 5-6, but they wouldn’t budge.

So I would say it isn’t beyond Ford to ignore an issue and pretend it doesn’t exist.
Since you are clearly not speaking in hyperbole, I'm shocked most other Raptor owners simply describe Sport Mode shifting as "harsh" as opposed to being "rear ended". Sport mode does shift hard in my truck as well, but not like you say.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Since you are clearly not speaking in hyperbole, I'm shocked most other Raptor owners simply describe Sport Mode shifting as "harsh" as opposed to being "rear ended". Sport mode does shift hard in my truck as well, but not like you say.

Same here. It shifts firmly but to claim it feels like “being rear ended” is a ridiculous exaggeration.

2020Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2020 trans does not operate smoothly very often.
Holds 3rd gear waaaaay too long.
Clunks and chunks.
Seems like there are common complaints.
The Dodge 8 spd is like butta in comparison.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Its not an issue if it’s functioning as designed. The 5-6 shift being slightly firmer than the others is design intent, hence why they all exhibit the same operation.