2020 Suspension issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Is there anyone that can post the information for how to test the solenoid voltages with FORSCAN? For those of us who aren't happy with the ride on the live valve systems, it would be nice to know this for a bit of a "prediagnosis" to gain a bit more information of maybe the cause of the issues.

This would also help when dealing with a service department as you can come in with a bit of information to help steer them a bit versus hoping they find something.

@FordTechOne if you could chime in here and say if knowing this would even be helpful for a local dealership or would it be creating more hypochondriacs for dealerships to deal with?

The operation of the solenoids is measured in amperage, since current flow to the solenoid changes the shock dampening. IDS will show current to each solenoid in VDM datalogger, not sure about ForScan. The higher the current flow to the solenoid, the softer the dampening. The ride height sensors are measured using voltage, which varies depending on the position of the sensor.

As far as going to the dealer, they are trained to diagnose by customer concern. They can’t write up an RO under warranty that says “customer checked voltages with ForScan and believes they are incorrect”. So unless you know someone at the dealer who is willing to work with you, your best bet (IMO) is simply to describe the concern. So the RO would state something like “Customer states vehicle ride is extremely harsh”. The tech would then verify that and follow WSM diagnostics for that concern. If they can’t verify it, ask to demonstrate the issue to the tech or shop foreman, and if necessary compare with a like unit.

Drivin2Fst

Reaction score
Following up on this thread. I've had my VDM replaced, ride height sensors replaced and solenoids on my Live Valves replaced. The truck seems better but ever so often I feel like I get a rough ride and wobble in the steering wheel. Next time I start the vehicle it seems better.

I pulled DTC's through Forscan tonight and had a code U0146 which involves the antilock braking system. Would that have an impact on the suspension or wobble in the steering wheel?

Raptorbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, you would want to monitor the ride height sensor PID readings in the VDM.
would changing the suspension modes while parked result in different numbers, or would you need to be actively driving to see them properly change modes in regards to readings?

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've noticed differences in normal mode from time to time on my 2020. Never rides like a covered wagon, but definitely have days where it rides much more buttery than others (tire pressures remain constant, same roads I travel every day). Even time its riding smoother I check the pressures thinking they are lower, but aren't. Always thought it was my imagination, but maybe there is something to that. I do have the FFS set at medium.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
would changing the suspension modes while parked result in different numbers, or would you need to be actively driving to see them properly change modes in regards to readings?
The amperage readings to the solenoids should change by drive mode.

Raptorbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The amperage readings to the solenoids should change by drive mode.
OK so i must be on to something, because changing them results in no change. It’s just 2.17 or something around that. All my values stayed the same no matter what button I pressed.

Attachments

• IMG_3537.jpeg
    IMG_3537.jpeg
    260.6 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
OK so i must be on to something, because changing them results in no change. It’s just 2.17 or something around that. All my values stayed the same no matter what button I pressed.
That’s assuming the PIDs in ForScan are actually active; many PIDs are available for selection across multiple systems but don’t actually have live data. They will often leave PIDs inaccurate that aren’t tied to a diagnostic procedure. Before getting too far into it you may want to compare the readings with another truck if possible.

Raptorbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s assuming the PIDs in ForScan are actually active; many PIDs are available for selection across multiple systems but don’t actually have live data. They will often leave PIDs inaccurate that aren’t tied to a diagnostic procedure. Before getting too far into it you may want to compare the readings with another truck if possible.
Thanks. It’s going to ford service tomorrow anyway so they can diagnose that and b162f that won’t clear and I’ll be pushing for the shock clunk issue that they didn’t hear the first time.

robjd6

Reaction score
I also have the same exact issues. 2020 raptor rear suspension clunk and harsh ride. Dealer replaced vdm twice so far. Truck had less than 20000 miles. Still dealing with it and the warranty is up tomorrow.

UniqueTII

Reaction score
My 2020 also rides pretty terribly and I'm getting sick of hunting down the issue. So far I have new rear shocks, rebuild front shocks, new springs front and rear (Eibach and Icon) and I've lowered tire pressures to 35/32 or so. Not only is it uncomfortable, but it also feels really unstable over any serious bumps. I do see the shock amperages change when I change modes, so the VDM isn't in limp mode, but I'm starting to suspect that the ride height sensors are the issue. I recalibrate them pretty regularly and they're still 8-10mm apart when I check them. Are there troubleshooting steps for the sensors? I have a warranty but I can get both parts for right around the price of my deductible.

Also, is there something else I should be checking other than height, sensor voltage, and shock amperage to try and diagnose the issue?