2020 Raptor with 4800 miles is still leaking water inside

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ron Lanza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just noticed condensation under my passenger floormat a few weeks ago. Haven't checked it lately though.
Thanks to reading this post I will go check it again now and hope it was a one time event ??

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I will ad my experience here hoping it helps someone.
I have a 2020 also. A couple of months ago I smelled moisture and found the passenger carpet was soaked. i pulled off the Ford performance plate and the entire channel was full of water. I researched this and all the usual suspects, ac drain, sunroof etc. I found a YouTube video talking about this and he mentioned that his father had a 2020, the dealer tried 3 times and never fixed it. They found that 4 rubber plugs were left out from the factory where the a pillar runs down the firewall. I looked and mine were missing also. I bought a set of 4 from the dealer and installed them and my truck is dry.
To look open the hood and look with a flashlight where the antenna wire runs down. If you see 4 square holes they’re missing. Mine were good on the driver’s side.
Longshot but I would still be looking if I didn’t run across this.
Wow, that is so odd for that to be missed at the factory.

glaneher

Reaction score
Well I have a story for you too. I bought my 2018 Shelby raptor new in 2019 summer and within a week a heavy rain caused water to come through the headliner and headliner switches. I made the dealer come and pick the truck up and they did find a sunroof leak which they then supposedly fixed. The truck is almost always garaged so was hard to know if fixed but has been in rain a couple other times in the last 2 years and yes it leaked again. The most recent was 1 month ago with a very heavy rain in Detroit area. In addition I was finding water in the passenger footwell which I thought was related last summer. But it persisted and the truck smelled musty. They said they found no leak when I brought it in (it has dried by then). That happened recurrently until someone sent me a link to an AC condenser problem which was causing the water on the floor (a different issue than the sunroof leak). This was after a year later and I brought it to dealer and showed them the bulletin from the link and they looked into it. The result was mold noted in area from front passenger to rear passenger carpet for which they cleaned up and replaced my entire carpet. This was an AC condenser issue and they fixed it after taking the entire dash off. So I brought the truck home after that and that very same day (it was the day it rained hard and it happened to be out in the rain that night because I had to work) I came home to a soaked headliner on the drivers side and partly soaked sunshade on that side. Still waiting for an appointment for this (next week finally at a different dealer now than the one I purchased at) and am considering a lemon law suit because I am concerned the truck has permanent damage. Let me know what you all think I should do. I love the truck but it is defective! I have Ford now involved in the process because I want something to be done. I am wondering if i will regret not taking action.

Matches

Reaction score
Hello Guys...need some help. I have a 2020 Raptor with 4800 miles on it and it is leaking water. The first time I had condensation on the inside of windshield and rear windows and the front passenger footwell was wet. I took a video and the dealership found the the AC condensation line was kinked and replaced it with an elbow fitting.

The second trip was for condensation on the inside of the windshield again. Again, took a video and showed it to the dealer, but they said that they could not replicate the problem. On the paperwork, the tech stated that the factory mesh wind deflector is attracting moisture...that was his half-assed diagnosis!

The third time, I opened the passenger rear door and found water standing on the rubber floor mat. The door was dry so I was wondering if it was coming from the sunroof. Took it back with a video and again they said that they could not replicate it. They instructed me to speak to the Service Manager when he returns from vacation...?

Any ideas? This is ridiculous for a $70k pickup with 4800 miles. I had a 2018 Raptor and the engine ate itself with 900 miles on it. The dealer, themselves, purchased it back from me as they said Ford will never stand behind their products. I thought I would give a Raptor another try and now this &$%#. Is it me or are you guys experiencing the same type of BS? Wife is an attorney and she said that there are numerous articles in law journals/discussions about problems with the Raptors are and all of the consumer lawsuits... There is no doubt that it is a cool truck, but there is a limit.

Thanks,

Marc
Marc,

I have a 2020, and had the same problem at 900 miles. The absolute best decision was to call Ford Corporate (800) 392-3673 and get a case number opened.

Have your purchase date, VIN, and mileage ready. After they got involved, I got traction on getting it fixed. Make sure they replace anything showing rust (interior clips, shifter brackets, hood release spring) and the interior carpet and pad.

According to the paperwork, the sunroof drains at the FWD end of the cab were not tightened down, and water filled the door sill trough, overflowed, drenched the carpet. If you pull the "Ford Performance" door plate, you should be able to see if you have water/moisture in there after rain.

Best of luck,
Matt

Reaction score
Marc,
Sorry to hear ‘bout your leak, super bummer, but know that man is flawed and unfortunately we make mistakes. But man made, man broke, so I’ll be damned if man CAN’T fix it!

Here’s what I found on my 2017 Raptor SCREW:

ONE of my leaks was from the roof seam sealant at d/s rear just before the rubber roof drain 90°. It’s a nonhardening sealant that’s painted over and looks like a fat bead of silicon. They applied it from front to rear and stopped just short of fully sealing roof to pillar allowing water enter cab. Bummer part was it moved from Apillar/brake pedal when parked level to flow down d/s b-pillar at rear seat belt bracket and fill wiring trough under entry step covers (Ford performance cover) when parked on incline. Super frustrating when diagnosing!

Another leak was in tandem of the first. Rear glass slider plastic drain (located behind rear center headrest) was cracked and allowing water to enter cab instead of seeing outside. Truck leans to rear/driver’s side in driveway and would pool in that corner of the cab until full enough to wick into carpet (caught in time and dried out rear carpet by lifting and allowing to air dry for 2 weeks) and drip into wiring trough under entry step covers.

AFTER sealing rear glass plastic drain I washed my truck and noticed water AGAIN in that rear/driver’s corner of cab…GRRRR. It happened to be my rear slider seal on driver’s side failed and folded away from glass so when I rinsed back window from passenger side, it shot straight into cab! It’s summer so I’ll replace before rainy season.

First, always check sunroof drains, you can literally take a garden hose and flow water down front two drains, rears I leaned truck rearward and let garden hose water travel down sunroof track to rear drains. Bonus is you also get to check entire sunroof track frame for leaks. Feels weird with a garden hose inside truck with sunroof open but worked for me. Another time I dropped headliner to visually inspect drain tub clamps.

I'm sure I missed something but I hope this helps. As hard as water leaks are, don’t give up! Just because you see it at one end doesn’t mean it’s not coming from the other lol. Good luck.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well I have a story for you too. I bought my 2018 Shelby raptor new in 2019 summer and within a week a heavy rain caused water to come through the headliner and headliner switches. I made the dealer come and pick the truck up and they did find a sunroof leak which they then supposedly fixed. The truck is almost always garaged so was hard to know if fixed but has been in rain a couple other times in the last 2 years and yes it leaked again. The most recent was 1 month ago with a very heavy rain in Detroit area. In addition I was finding water in the passenger footwell which I thought was related last summer. But it persisted and the truck smelled musty. They said they found no leak when I brought it in (it has dried by then). That happened recurrently until someone sent me a link to an AC condenser problem which was causing the water on the floor (a different issue than the sunroof leak). This was after a year later and I brought it to dealer and showed them the bulletin from the link and they looked into it. The result was mold noted in area from front passenger to rear passenger carpet for which they cleaned up and replaced my entire carpet. This was an AC condenser issue and they fixed it after taking the entire dash off. So I brought the truck home after that and that very same day (it was the day it rained hard and it happened to be out in the rain that night because I had to work) I came home to a soaked headliner on the drivers side and partly soaked sunshade on that side. Still waiting for an appointment for this (next week finally at a different dealer now than the one I purchased at) and am considering a lemon law suit because I am concerned the truck has permanent damage. Let me know what you all think I should do. I love the truck but it is defective! I have Ford now involved in the process because I want something to be done. I am wondering if i will regret not taking action.
Did the upfitter modify anything around the roof console or roof opening when the converted it into a “Shelby” edition? The most common reason for water leaking through the front of the headliner is clogged sunroof drains. Environmental debris clogs the tubes, causing the trough to overflow which results in a leak. If you pour water on the roof you should see it come out of the drain tubes at the bottom of the truck.

glaneher

Reaction score
No the only mod was a sticker on the roof. Otherwise that part of the truck is stock. But I have had it to the dealer and they said nothing about the drain tube. Should they not have checked this?? I am bringing it to a different dealer and hope to have a different result. I will leave it out on a real rainy day and we will see if they finally fixed it. I love the truck so I hope they can. But I also will not tolerate continued leaking of water into it and will need an extension of my warranty for anything related to that issue from Ford. Does that seem reasonable??

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No the only mod was a sticker on the roof. Otherwise that part of the truck is stock. But I have had it to the dealer and they said nothing about the drain tube. Should they not have checked this?? I am bringing it to a different dealer and hope to have a different result. I will leave it out on a real rainy day and we will see if they finally fixed it. I love the truck so I hope they can. But I also will not tolerate continued leaking of water into it and will need an extension of my warranty for anything related to that issue from Ford. Does that seem reasonable??
Inspecting and testing the drain hoses is part of the diagnosis for a roof opening panel leak; it’s called out in the Workshop Manual pinpoint test. As far as any extended warranty, you can call Ford customer care and see what they say.

Idaho

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went through a similar problem. Took it in and they could not replicate the problem. Brought it home it leaked next time it rained. Took it back they could not replicate. THEN I realized the angle of the truck that I park on my driveway is not flat so I took a measurement on my phone and gave it to them. They put the front tires up some to replicate the angle and BOOM - water pouring into the truck. There was a rivet in the rear passenger roof rubber piece that was not fully attached that was allowing water into the cab of the truck and was running down the seatbelt into my daughters seat. They fixed that on the first visit. Leaked again - they popped the rear glass and redid the rivet again and it fixed it but their fix looked really bad so I made them redo it. No leak for a year, in Southern CA because it didn't rain. First time it rained it leaked again. THIS time the service manager, because it was documented 3 times, noted "customer wants buyback" which in turn Ford sent down a tech and they figured it out instantly. They cleaned everything up and good as new now with no issues since.

Sounds like you are 3 tickets in so might be time to hit them with "customer wants buyback". I did not actually want it and told the service manager that but he replied "that will get them to send a guy immediately to figure it out". Good luck.
You said the issue was figured out instantly once the tech came down. What was the solution to fix this?