GEN 2 2020 Raptor - Weird issue in reverse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OEMPlus Raptor

OEM preferred....
Reaction score
Welcome, mine came with those wheels and they're starting to grow on me. I think I may keep them now. Beautiful truck man, enjoy!

Ski4Ever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That bump and shift is the electric parking brake releasing. It turns on and off depending on diffrent scenarios automatically . Remote start or opening door I believe when it engages . Your turning it on manually with the switch. When you shift selector to drive or reverse and start moving thats when you feel parking brake releasing. My theory anyways. In America most do not use parking brake normally when parking on level ground.
Is this a feature in the 2020 year Gen 2s? My 2019 never automatically applies the parking brake when remote starting or opening a door. It will automatically turn the parking brake *OFF* it if I leave it on, put the truck in gear, and then step on the gas, but I've never had it automatically turn the parking brake *ON*. Am I missing or just not understanding something here?

Welcome, mine came with those wheels and they're starting to grow on me. I think I may keep them now. Beautiful truck man, enjoy!
Wrong thread, perhaps? Or just wanted to comment on the OPs wheels?

Mike T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 19 does it all the time when it’s cold. If it’s been sitting for a week or so, it feels pretty bumpy and makes some noise. All normal with suspension unsettling, etc. it all simmers down after it warms up.

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Is this a feature in the 2020 year Gen 2s? My 2019 never automatically applies the parking brake when remote starting or opening a door. It will automatically turn the parking brake *OFF* it if I leave it on, put the truck in gear, and then step on the gas, but I've never had it automatically turn the parking brake *ON*. Am I missing or just not understanding something here?
I'm not sure what circumstances it engages. Automatically. My 19 I have sat in truck turned off, after the radio powers down 10 min or so and I saw red light illuminate for brake on dash for a second. I don't know if it engaged it or what. I remote start my truck a lot so and I think it engages without illuminating the light. It may also have to do if your towing hold brake feature on a incline when your idling. I know it's a weight savings over traditional setup. There was a rash of people getting ran over by their own cars few years ago not ford specific so it may be a safety deal to limit liability. I Bet Fordtech1 has some wisdom on this . This is just all speculation on my part.

Last edited:

Ski4Ever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what circumstances it engages. Automatically. My 19 I have sat in truck turned off, after the radio powers down 10 min or so and I saw red light illuminate for brake on dash for a second. I don't know if it engaged it or what. I remote start my truck a lot so and I think it engages without illuminating the light. It may also have to do if your towing hold brake feature on a incline when your idling. I know it's a weight savings over traditional setup. There was a rash of people getting ran over by their own cars few years ago not ford specific so it may be a safety deal to limit liability. I Bet Fordtech1 has some wisdom on this . This is just all speculation on my part.
I’d be interested in hearing @FordTechOne chime in also, because I really think you may be thinking of things that aren’t really happening, or you’re hearing something else (perhaps just the shocks adjusting themselves). The electronic parking brake makes a very distinct sound that’s not easy to confuse with anything else. If you’re not putting the brake on, I really don’t think there’s any circumstance where it will automatically turn on or not, even if you’re towing something.

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah it does make a different sound when hitting the switch. I just tried in my driveway. It must be live valves adjusting.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That bump when you first go in reverse is very odd, but they all do it. The best description I've seen of it is that it feels like you backed over your cat. It scared the **** out of me the first time because sometimes I take in feral cats and get them accustomed to people so they can get adopted.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always back into my driveway backend uphill so I’ve never had this. It is really slow to actually get into reverse sometimes. Kind of annoying when you back into a driveway from a public street.