GEN 2 2020 Raptor - Weird issue in reverse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gortster

Reaction score
Hi! So after moving to Colorado from Switzerland a couple of years ago I finally got my dream truck. I bought this used 2020 Ford Raptor a while ago and it's doing something that drives me crazy.
After the truck is sitting in the garage over night, I start it, put it in reverse and release the parking brake (all very gently and slowly). Then I slowly release the brake and start rolling backwards, and as soon as the wheels turn there is that feeling of a bump in the front end. Also, the front of the truck visible settles for an inch or two. It feels as if one of the wheels would be sitting on some ledge and would roll off it. The garage floor is perfectly even, it has been doing it in random parking lots too, and it doesn't make a difference whether the parking brake has been on or off over night. It only does it when rolling backwards after being parked.
Now that I've noticed this it drives me nuts every day. Wonder if any of you have an idea what this could be. I got it inspected at the Ford Service station down the road, but they found nothing, and I'm worried that simply going back to the dealership won't result in any solution.

Thanks!
Rolf

Attachments

• truck1.jpg
    truck1.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 26
  • truck2.jpg
    truck2.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 26

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Welcome to FRF, Rolf.

Pictures. Or it’s a prius. ;-)

so, you put the “truck" in reverse, and as force is applied to the rear, the vehicle attitude changes, correct?

If what you’re describing is what I think it is, your priu^^ I mean... “truck” is behaving the same as My Raptor, even with a torque arm. I’ve seen this on other trucks as well.

Jonesky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rolf, assuming I interpret your post correctly, my advice is drive your truck and don’t worry about it. My 2020 does something vaguely similar and probably has something to do with the suspension. It’s most likely normal and mine is operating perfectly.

OP
OP
G

Gortster

Reaction score
Hi! First of all, I have attached some pictures to my post, sorry if I violated forum rules.

Thank you for your responses, I was actually guessing/hoping it could be something normal. I just haven't had a chance to talk to any other Raptor owners. I guess I'll stop worrying because otherwise the truck drives perfectly.

I was driving trucks that were a lot less "sophisticated" before, so there's a few things that I am not used to, one being the thing I described above. Another example is a whiny noise from the transmission when driving in reverse (which I heard is normal), and when there's no radio playing and the kids are quiet, there's a subtle high-pitched "grinding" noise that I hear when I'm driving at low speeds. Do you think that's all normal too?

I love this thing a lot, which is probably why I'm super anxious that something could be wrong.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hi! First of all, I have attached some pictures to my post, sorry if I violated forum rules.

Thank you for your responses, I was actually guessing/hoping it could be something normal. I just haven't had a chance to talk to any other Raptor owners. I guess I'll stop worrying because otherwise the truck drives perfectly.

I was driving trucks that were a lot less "sophisticated" before, so there's a few things that I am not used to, one being the thing I described above. Another example is a whiny noise from the transmission when driving in reverse (which I heard is normal), and when there's no radio playing and the kids are quiet, there's a subtle high-pitched "grinding" noise that I hear when I'm driving at low speeds. Do you think that's all normal too?

I love this thing a lot, which is probably why I'm super anxious that something could be wrong.
The whine from the transmission is normal due to the offset gear driven pump design. As far as the high pitched grinding noise, check the charge air cooler fans for debris.

LeadFootLarry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The whine from the transmission is normal due to the offset gear driven pump design. As far as the high pitched grinding noise, check the charge air cooler fans for debris.
What type of debris would cause that noise? I’d love to check mine too as I try to cure my low speed rattle

So-Cal-Al-52

I Love Fossil Fuel
Reaction score
I am a 2020 owner also, I have had mine for about a 6 weeks. What you describe in reverse seems fairly normal. Mine does almost the same thing. Bothered me at first but after getting used to it and realizing nothing is wrong with the truck, I don't think about anymore. It feels like the suspension is settling or reacting to the vehicle moving. Like everybody says, drive the hell out of it and enjoy. This is such a great place to ask questions and get real honest answers.

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That bump and shift is the electric parking brake releasing. It turns on and off depending on diffrent scenarios automatically . Remote start or opening door I believe when it engages . Your turning it on manually with the switch. When you shift selector to drive or reverse and start moving thats when you feel parking brake releasing. My theory anyways. In America most do not use parking brake normally when parking on level ground.

Last edited: