2020 Raptor Tunes and Devices

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5star

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Will someone from 5 Star Tuning chime in? I have a JDM Engineering tune and found that it works really nicely. They tune the engine ecu and the transmission ecu. Not sure about what others are doing...My previous tune, not going to blast..was crappy, the dude did not modify the transmission ecu, popped ck engine light and slammed the transmission at wot 55mph...LMK....Thanks for any information...trying to help out...

Within our 85-94 Daily Street and 85-e50 Performance tunes via HP and the SCT/Bully Dog tuners we tune both the engine and the transmission. The throttle will be remapped, each mode on the Gen 1 and 2 will be remapped. The DS and Perf will have different gears used ranging from 1, 3, 5+ in the Daily to 1, 3, 4, 5+ Performance tune. Shifts are mild, but those looking for a firmer shift can request this change. More info in terms of shift strategies, shift pressures, limiters, timing etc via the link below.

https://5startuning.com/got-a-2017-2020-raptor-3-5l-ecoboost/

Mikee Martin

SVC. Krazy House Customz. JDM. Seaside Superbikes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Within our 85-94 Daily Street and 85-e50 Performance tunes via HP and the SCT/Bully Dog tuners we tune both the engine and the transmission. The throttle will be remapped, each mode on the Gen 1 and 2 will be remapped. The DS and Perf will have different gears used ranging from 1, 3, 5+ in the Daily to 1, 3, 4, 5+ Performance tune. Shifts are mild, but those looking for a firmer shift can request this change. More info in terms of shift strategies, shift pressures, limiters, timing etc via the link below.

https://5startuning.com/got-a-2017-2020-raptor-3-5l-ecoboost/
Thank You for clarifying the fact that you fully understand shift stratigy, Proper gear selections, Lockup TC putting power directely to the ground, ect., ect. I can clearly see from the link posted that you guys at 5 Star Tuning have this truck fugured out. It is great to hear that your company has all and more of the information that makes the truck a night and day driving vehicle over stock settings. I need to try another Tune to start doing more comparisons. I will sign up on your website in the next week, or as soon as I have some free time, and request a tune..Im sure there are some questions that you have, and I am also in need of some advise about some electronic features that are inaccessable via tuning. I will send an E-mail or try to include it with my Tune request. Thank You.
Mike Martin
Seaside Superbikes
[email protected]

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank You for clarifying the fact that you fully understand shift stratigy, Proper gear selections, Lockup TC putting power directely to the ground, ect., ect. I can clearly see from the link posted that you guys at 5 Star Tuning have this truck fugured out. It is great to hear that your company has all and more of the information that makes the truck a night and day driving vehicle over stock settings. I need to try another Tune to start doing more comparisons. I will sign up on your website in the next week, or as soon as I have some free time, and request a tune..Im sure there are some questions that you have, and I am also in need of some advise about some electronic features that are inaccessable via tuning. I will send an E-mail or try to include it with my Tune request. Thank You.
Mike Martin
Seaside Superbikes
[email protected]
I do not have a vendetta against 5 Sar, but I spent money with them to get several tunes for my 2019 and never got anything that even came close to being as good as stock; the first several tunes could barely get the truck up to 50 MPH. I am not sure why my situation was different (I suspect it had something to do with the person working on my tunes because the only improvements I ever saw were when he went to consult with other people at 5Star), but I finally gave up in disappointment. If somebody from 5Star is willing to give it another shot, please let me know. I will give the company credit for not giving up and trying, but they never delivered in my case. I would love to report back otherwise at some point.

Mikee Martin

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do not have a vendetta against 5 Sar, but I spent money with them to get several tunes for my 2019 and never got anything that even came close to being as good as stock; the first several tunes could barely get the truck up to 50 MPH. I am not sure why my situation was different (I suspect it had something to do with the person working on my tunes because the only improvements I ever saw were when he went to consult with other people at 5Star), but I finally gave up in disappointment. If somebody from 5Star is willing to give it another shot, please let me know. I will give the company credit for not giving up and trying, but they never delivered in my case. I would love to report back otherwise at some point.
I am really happy with my JDM Tune. Would be interested for 99 bucks to compare them. Not sure if others here have tried different tuning companies... I will start the album here..

Mikee Martin

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have experience with 5Star, MPT, and Cobb. Of the Gen 2 Raptor tuning providers, I would consider 5Star to be at the bottom of the list, if not on the bottom. Cobb is at the top of the list. To include their TCM tune requires a bit more money up front, BUT you will be supremely happy with their tunes and the AccessPort device. Their OTS tunes always leave plenty of safety margin, so you won't break anything. If you think the other tuners provide "more power", you're very wrong. If you want to cut the safety margin thinner, then a custom tune from one of the Cobb Pro Tuners, or your own tuning is the way to go.

FYI, I have over a decade of Cobb "private" tuning experience on Ford and Mazda. I generally start with the hottest tune Cobb has, run it a bit and data log my parameters list to see where the critical values are, then do a few tweaks of my own. My fully stock 2018 802A (with my Cobb tune only) runs 0-60 in 4.7 sec, 60ft in 1.9, 1/4 mile in 13.3 @ 102mph. You will NOT get better results than that with any OTS tune from any tuner. The only way to get better results is to replace the turbos and go BIG.

Edit: Just a side note, I have 47000 tuned miles on it, so no loss of performance with mileage as one of the popular car rags reported.
I have experience with 5Star, MPT, and Cobb. Of the Gen 2 Raptor tuning providers, I would consider 5Star to be at the bottom of the list, if not on the bottom. Cobb is at the top of the list. To include their TCM tune requires a bit more money up front, BUT you will be supremely happy with their tunes and the AccessPort device. Their OTS tunes always leave plenty of safety margin, so you won't break anything. If you think the other tuners provide "more power", you're very wrong. If you want to cut the safety margin thinner, then a custom tune from one of the Cobb Pro Tuners, or your own tuning is the way to go.

FYI, I have over a decade of Cobb "private" tuning experience on Ford and Mazda. I generally start with the hottest tune Cobb has, run it a bit and data log my parameters list to see where the critical values are, then do a few tweaks of my own. My fully stock 2018 802A (with my Cobb tune only) runs 0-60 in 4.7 sec, 60ft in 1.9, 1/4 mile in 13.3 @ 102mph. You will NOT get better results than that with any OTS tune from any tuner. The only way to get better results is to replace the turbos and go BIG.

Edit: Just a side note, I have 47000 tuned miles on it, so no loss of performance with mileage as one of the popular car rags reported.

Do you work for Cobb? TWIZZLESTIX? What would you buy if you were in my shoes (Bad SCT Tune, great JDM..) want to start a library of tunes to compare in the real world hard core rocking and rolling plus all around performance and drivablility. I can get 19mpg with the JDM shifting in manual keeping RPM under 1700rpm all of the time.. I give the company my information, pay the cybermoney and get an email with the tune in a box...LMK, Thank You!

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
LOL No, my only connection to Cobb is as a customer since ~2007 with both Mazda and Ford products. That makes over a decade using their tuning software and hardware. I prefer the Cobb software based on their engineering and longevity as I always do a bit of my own tweaks to the baseline OTS tune. I choose the engine hardware based on my evaluation of the company, the engineering in the product itself, and my preferences. My truck is still stock hardware wise, but I have a Mishimoto FMIC to install some day. For my Focus RS I went with the Precision turbo, CPE downpipe and FMIC, XD fuel pump, etc. on a Tune+ forged and ported complete engine, DSC semi-active suspension, etc. I have the software to tune everything, engine, suspension, etc. All installs and work done at my home/garage.

If you're just using OTS tunes, I recommend a dyno or even emailed datalog tune from any company, BUT my preference would be from Goosetuned using the Cobb (AccessPort) with as much ethanol as you can stand. I've sprayed methanol/water in a few with good results, but there are tradeoffs with the additional hardware required like tubing, hoses, solenoids, pump, etc.

If you're serious about wanting the most power from a stock setup, then a high ethanol content tune is "best".