2020 raptor start up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Abrax01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know I religiously use BP or speedway (used to be Hess) and I always put premium. But a brand new station opened down the block (Shell) and I thought why not check it out. After that I didn’t really drive the truck but yesterday when I was running errands I noticed it seems like there’s a lag and the idle is off. I’ll burn this shit out of my tank and refuel with where I normally go and see if that helps.

I've had issues with Shell gas before or I'm assuming it was Shell as I've never used them again and it's never occurred again. I've always put 93oct in from the day I picked it up. Since then I've done FMIC, CAI and a Cobb stage 2 tune. In that setup for about 8 months using Costco gas as well as Racetrack and QT on occasion, never an issue. Took a trip to Columbia, SC to visit some friends and gassed up at a Shell on my way back out of town. Still had about 1/3 of a tank in her at that point. About 2 hrs later on the interstate, CEL came on and truck started running REALLY rough. Pulled over and used the Cobb accessport to pull the code. If I remember correctly it was misfiring on one of the cylinders. Cleared the code, shut the whole truck down and restarted. No other issues since then and I never touched Shell gas after that as that was the only difference I could come up with. Is that definitive? No. But an interesting coincidence to be sure.

OP
OP
Raptor28

Raptor28

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had issues with Shell gas before or I'm assuming it was Shell as I've never used them again and it's never occurred again. I've always put 93oct in from the day I picked it up. Since then I've done FMIC, CAI and a Cobb stage 2 tune. In that setup for about 8 months using Costco gas as well as Racetrack and QT on occasion, never an issue. Took a trip to Columbia, SC to visit some friends and gassed up at a Shell on my way back out of town. Still had about 1/3 of a tank in her at that point. About 2 hrs later on the interstate, CEL came on and truck started running REALLY rough. Pulled over and used the Cobb accessport to pull the code. If I remember correctly it was misfiring on one of the cylinders. Cleared the code, shut the whole truck down and restarted. No other issues since then and I never touched Shell gas after that as that was the only difference I could come up with. Is that definitive? No. But an interesting coincidence to be sure.
I really appreciate the time you took to explains all that. I have a pretty strong feeling that’s what was happening and that the gas had something to do with it. I know it’s a long shot but there’s zero other reason why it would happen. No codes came on and the whole truck was looked over yesterday and today. I’m gonna stick to my normal stations from now on.