2020 raptor start up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Lemme ask you this- did you quite literally just turn the key crank it 2.3 seconds & drive off?

ive never had a vehicle so clearly audibly “tell me” - “hold on there partner give me a couple minutes to warm up here before we start driving around”

2-3 mins of idle warm up on a cold start seems necessary, if not seems like everything about the truck is rough & wonky. The turbo actuators, the torque converter, the yolk/pinion, the tranny, the engine idle & exhaust note/smell - ALL of it lol

if you just jumped in & drove that could be part of the issuw

DanT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s going in for service tomorrow to have the front camera replaced, I wonder if they have an octane tester at the shop. Worth it to ask i suppose.

Do they actually have camera in stock? My dealer says back order - no delivery date

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys so I have 2020 raptor with the 802a package, I was leaving Home Depot and I started my truck and the idle was off. The truck was acting like it had an after market cam. It would idle up to 2500rpm and back down to 500 rpm and back up then down. I shut it off and restarted it and it seems to be ok. Anyone ever experience this? It’s going I’m Friday to have the faulty front camera replaced. Any help is appreciated

My 2000 F150 used to do something similar at times. I owned it for well over a decade and it did it about a half dozen times. It would smoke while it was struggling to run. I would turned it off and it would restart fine. Never figured out what it was since it happened so rarely.

Also had my Mustang just up and die on me when trying to leave a red light. Took forever to restart and barely would limp forward to a parking lot. Turned it off, looked it over, and it fired back up fine. It's been almost 15 years and it's never happened again.

So- good luck tracking that down. I would bet a LOT of money that Ford's response will be "Could Not Duplicate". Go play the lottery if they actually do.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Lemme ask you this- did you quite literally just turn the key crank it 2.3 seconds & drive off?

ive never had a vehicle so clearly audibly “tell me” - “hold on there partner give me a couple minutes to warm up here before we start driving around”

2-3 mins of idle warm up on a cold start seems necessary, if not seems like everything about the truck is rough & wonky. The turbo actuators, the torque converter, the yolk/pinion, the tranny, the engine idle & exhaust note/smell - ALL of it lol

Your truck has defective parts somewhere if it needs a 5 minute idle to not be rough. There is NO reason he can't jump in, start it up, put it in gear and drive off in the middle of summer and have it be perfectly smooth and quiet. If it's 0 degree out, yea-but in late July? Nope.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Your truck has defective parts somewhere if it needs a 5 minute idle to not be rough. There is NO reason he can't jump in, start it up, put it in gear and drive off in the middle of summer and have it be perfectly smooth and quiet. If it's 0 degree out, yea-but in late July? Nope.

Mine seems fine. I normally idle out of the neighborhood, so maybe I'm missing something.

OP
OP
Raptor28

Raptor28

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Well it’s push to start so no. I started it up without an issue (no over cranking) and once it was running it idled weird like I said, reeves up and down like an after market cam sounds. Only thing I can think of was a misfire in a cylinder or an injector decided not to work at that moment. It didn’t throw any codes and hasn’t happened since. I know it’s a long shot with bad fuel but I promise since I filled up With the new shell stair ion gas the truck has been off. I can’t explain it but if you drive something everyday you just know how it’s supposed to drive. And to answer the other question I always warm up before driving for a few minutes.

OP
OP
Raptor28

Raptor28

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Moments like this make me wish I had the Cobb access port to read cylinder info. That’s how I confirmed I Grenaded my built STI motor