2020 Raptor rough ride

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnkn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
OP, if you set your tires to 38psi when “cold”, they are likely 42+ when they heat up in Texas. Check the pressure on the dash display after running them for 30 minutes and adjust with a quality gauge. The sweet spot on mine tends to be around 36 front 34 rear when up to temp. Good luck..,,

OP
OP
A

Aeterna

Reaction score
OP, if you set your tires to 38psi when “cold”, they are likely 42+ when they heat up in Texas. Check the pressure on the dash display after running them for 30 minutes and adjust with a quality gauge. The sweet spot on mine tends to be around 36 front 34 rear when up to temp. Good luck..,,

thanks for the tip, im going to set them to 32/30 tonight and take it for a spin tomorrow.

Johnkn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Let us know how that works. Even though it sounds low initially, the pressure goes up significantly when they get hot, especially in Texas. ;) ... Good luck....

OP
OP
A

Aeterna

Reaction score
Let us know how that works. Even though it sounds low initially, the pressure goes up significantly when they get hot, especially in Texas. ;) ... Good luck....

Will do, I am just concerned with setting off the tire pressure light. Not sure at which point it triggers in this thing.

Johnkn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I believe they will be fine there........ I get no lights and my stock tires tend go grow 3-4 psi when going from 65-90* air temp.

OP
OP
A

Aeterna

Reaction score
Certainly felt better today but in all honesty not impressed with the regular ride quality. To me it rides like an unloaded 250.

Johnkn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Are you certain you’re in Normal mode? I wouldn’t call my unloaded 2019 harsh by any means, and I normally keep mine in Sport mode to tighten things up (and increase shift firmness)

OP
OP
A

Aeterna

Reaction score
Are you certain you’re in Normal mode? I wouldn’t call my unloaded 2019 harsh by any means, and I normally keep mine in Sport mode to tighten things up (and increase shift firmness)

Ive been wondering the same thing. I just hit the mode button on the steering wheel till it says normal. I mean by default it starts at normal right?

is there a place to adjust steering wheel, shocks, throttle separately? Additionally, when at highway speeds the steering wheel is quite stiff, i feel just about every bump in the road in the wheel and gas pedal. Not to mention feeling every bump in my seat.

also to confirm, my warm pressures are 36frt 34rear now.

I want to iterate, i love the truck and honestly my Raptor was delivered to my house I actually never drove a Gen2 before. But i will say my 07 z71 tahoe probably has better hwy ride quality. A few years back I had an 18 platinum f150 which I expected a raptor in normal mode would probably feel similar with likely more shock absorption for standard bumps. But it seems the complete opposite.

I probably sound ignorant so I apologize ahead of time. Im not complaining, just trying to understand if this is normal?

Last edited:

Johnkn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Something does not sound right.

The truck should revert to Normal mode when starting. The outer, lower, long button on the right side of the wheel will toggle between modes (you'll see the dash display change to normal, sport, tow, Baja, etc.). To the left of it is another long switch that will toggle (at least in Normal mode) to 3 different steering levels of effort, there's a steering wheel icon there.

Drive it in Sport mode and see if it changes. In Sport mode the suspension should tighten up, it will not skip gears (1-3 and 3-5) like in Normal mode. The Auto stop/start will be disabled, and it will hold gears to a higher RPM before shifting and the shifts will be much more firm.

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is there a place to adjust steering wheel, shocks, throttle separately? Additionally, when at highway speeds the steering wheel is quite stiff, i feel just about every bump in the road in the wheel and gas pedal. Not to mention feeling every bump in my seat.

also to confirm, my warm pressures are 36frt 34rear now.
OP...put the tire pressure at 32/28 cold. Take the Raptor for a ride to see if this makes it better.

I use these pressures most of the time on the Raptor. I do a six tire rotation, have 42k miles on my original tires, with probably 10k highway miles left on the tires.

In my experience the KO2’s feel squirmy when new. I’ve got sets on two other trucks in addition to the Raptor.

Hope it works out for you.