2020 Raptor rough ride

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aeterna

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I recently picked up a 2020 801a, it has about 500 miles on it now. When the truck was delivered it had way too much air in the tires so I dropped them down to 38 all around.

so to the point, overall the ride is comfy but not “smooth” like ive heard folks refer to raptors ride quality as. There are times on the highway where it seems the truck hits some kind of resonant bounce which can get annoying.

so anyways, is there a way to adjust the live valve shocks to be more soft? When I hit real bumps they are fantastic but riding on the highway it seems I feel every little bump in the road.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Try dropping to 36 frt 32 rr. That's about what I run and it's pretty damn nice. I have an 18 though. I have heard that the live shocks are firmer just going down the road though.

OP
OP
A

Aeterna

Reaction score
Try dropping to 36 frt 32 rr. That's about what I run and it's pretty damn nice. I have an 18 though. I have heard that the live shocks are firmer just going down the road though.

Thanks, are those cold temps or after tires are warm? Mine currently are about 36 all around but after warmup they get to 38 and if its real hot 39-40.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I recently picked up a 2020 801a, it has about 500 miles on it now. When the truck was delivered it had way too much air in the tires so I dropped them down to 38 all around.

so to the point, overall the ride is comfy but not “smooth” like ive heard folks refer to raptors ride quality as. There are times on the highway where it seems the truck hits some kind of resonant bounce which can get annoying.

so anyways, is there a way to adjust the live valve shocks to be more soft? When I hit real bumps they are fantastic but riding on the highway it seems I feel every little bump in the road.

What mode are you running in? Normal, Sport, etc?

Never noticed any resonant "bounce" as you describe on my 2019, and I've been on quite a few highways.

There is a phenomenon known as the "California Hop" that typically affects Heavy Duty pickups. It's the result of the alignment of the concrete slabs on certain sections of highway; the suspension is sent into a resonance of a front/rear jounce/rebound that can get strong enough to lift passengers out of their seats.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Thanks, are those cold temps or after tires are warm? Mine currently are about 36 all around but after warmup they get to 38 and if its real hot 39-40.
Start at cold temps. Honestly, I don't watch my pressure like a hawk anymore. I just took them down to where I could tell a good difference in ride. Doesn't seem to hurt handling or MPG much at all. I checked a week or so ago and they were all over the place. lol.
I do a lot of driving and comfort is most important to me. I've had work duallies and 3/4 tons for long enough, I'm over it.

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just put pressure at 32/28 cold after having higher pressure from pulling a trailer.

32/28 warms up for me to 36/32. The ride feels good at these pressures. Remember that it is still a truck.

FWIW...I put a couple hundred miles on my Volvo XC90 back to back with my Raptor. While the Raptor is good...the Volvo is in a different comfort class.

OP
OP
A

Aeterna

Reaction score
What mode are you running in? Normal, Sport, etc?

Never noticed any resonant "bounce" as you describe on my 2019, and I've been on quite a few highways.

There is a phenomenon known as the "California Hop" that typically affects Heavy Duty pickups. It's the result of the alignment of the concrete slabs on certain sections of highway; the suspension is sent into a resonance of a front/rear jounce/rebound that can get strong enough to lift passengers out of their seats.

I am running Normal, do the modes adjust default stiffness/softness or just tell the system to get ready for what is coming?

Yeah california hop that sounds like what I am talking about, ive put many miles on many vehicles and never experienced it like I do in this Raptor. Dont get me wrong, I love it. Just wondering if there are adjustments that can be made.

i will try dropping my cold pressures to 32/30 and see what happens. I feel like 28 is just too low.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am running Normal, do the modes adjust default stiffness/softness or just tell the system to get ready for what is coming?

Yeah california hop that sounds like what I am talking about, ive put many miles on many vehicles and never experienced it like I do in this Raptor. Dont get me wrong, I love it. Just wondering if there are adjustments that can be made.

i will try dropping my cold pressures to 32/30 and see what happens. I feel like 28 is just too low.

The drive modes proactively change the dampening of the shocks. Sport mode provides stiffer dampening for better handling, while Baja mode is softer for high speed off road conditions. The sensors are there to measure roll, pitch, and shock travel and allow the VDM to adjust the shocks based on conditions. For example, when the VDM sees the shocks go to full travel, it assumes the truck is airborne and sets the dampening to full stiffness to prepare for the landing.

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Having owned a 18 and now a 19, I can say, at least for me, I enjoyed the 18’s ride more, on the road.

I had pressures the same, 36 all around.

No mod’s, normal mode and I get that same issue the OP and FT1 referenced on my 19 that the 18 didn’t have.

Same roads, same everything.

PorterW1111

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

could be unlikely but here are a variance of things that could be causing this related to the tires themselves. you may have lost a balance weight, knocked out of alignment, or you may have flat spots or an out of round tire. there are a couple specialty tire places can "true" a tire and make it perfectly round. Not every single tire is exactly the same and every now and then you might get a bad one.

i would get a goo roadforce balance done ( this will be able to tell if you have a bad tire) and recheck your alignment.