2020 Raptor New Short Block - Oil in Cylinders

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RE Mac

Reaction score
I have a 2020 raptor with 49k miles. It started smoking white smoke out of the driver side exhaust, which made us think it was a turbo issue. They found a device bulletin advising the computer needed to be reset because it could have been oil being sucked into the turbo at idle. They did this and the smoke turned into blue/black smoke out of both sides 5X worse. It was 2.5 quarts low. Long story short, they bore scoped the cylinders and found 2 cylinders with oil in them, so Ford advised they are sending a new short block. I asked if there were any issues with the heads and didn’t really get a response but I assume once they tear it down, they’ll find out.

My question is, what should I be asking Ford for? I know this is not ideal snd I’m not sure this will solve the problem. If it doesn’t solve the issue, don’t they replace the truck with something of equal value?

Thanks
Robbie

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a 2020 raptor with 49k miles. It started smoking white smoke out of the driver side exhaust, which made us think it was a turbo issue. They found a device bulletin advising the computer needed to be reset because it could have been oil being sucked into the turbo at idle. They did this and the smoke turned into blue/black smoke out of both sides 5X worse. It was 2.5 quarts low. Long story short, they bore scoped the cylinders and found 2 cylinders with oil in them, so Ford advised they are sending a new short block. I asked if there were any issues with the heads and didn’t really get a response but I assume once they tear it down, they’ll find out.

My question is, what should I be asking Ford for? I know this is not ideal snd I’m not sure this will solve the problem. If it doesn’t solve the issue, don’t they replace the truck with something of equal value?

Thanks
Robbie

they are only going to fix whats wrong.. they def will not replace the truck.. it'd have to go back in the dealer a bunch of time for lemon law stuff, but im a bit surprised they didnt put a long block in..

sorry that you're gonna have to go thru this.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Did you buy the truck new? Was all required maintenance performed at the necessary intervals?

2.5 quarts low on oil is significant; that will typically result in engine damage. How long ago was the oil changed before it burned through 2.5 quarts?

OP
OP
R

RE Mac

Reaction score
Did you buy the truck new? Was all required maintenance performed at the necessary intervals?

2.5 quarts low on oil is significant; that will typically result in engine damage. How long ago was the oil changed before it burned through 2.5 quarts?
I bought it with 29k miles from the ford dealer and had it certified so I have warranty on power train until 100k miles.

I have very meticulous records, all maintenance was performed at the same ford dealer and to answer your question, it was about 2,800 miles since the last oil change.

They’re putting in a short block but I need to know if there’s anything else I need to be asking them for. I suspect once they tear it down, they’ll see an issue with the heads, possibly the turbos and with all the oil in the exhaust, the cateletic converters… and who knows what else! What do I need to be asking them?

I bought it with 29k miles from the ford dealer and had it certified so I have warranty on power train until 100k miles.

I have very meticulous records, all maintenance was performed at the same ford dealer and to answer your question, it was about 2,800 miles since the last oil change.

They’re putting in a short block but I need to know if there’s anything else I need to be asking them for. I suspect once they tear it down, they’ll see an issue with the heads, possibly the turbos and with all the oil in the exhaust, the catalytic converters… and who knows what else! What do I need to be asking them?

OP
OP
R

RE Mac

Reaction score
they are only going to fix whats wrong.. they def will not replace the truck.. it'd have to go back in the dealer a bunch of time for lemon law stuff, but im a bit surprised they didnt put a long block in..

sorry that you're gonna have to go thru this.
I’ve been there at least 7 times to get to this point and I would have had to go back another dozen times if I didn’t raise holy hell with the GM, who was totally understanding and helped me after I got to him. If I have issues after they replace the block, I might go that route. It’s really been a terrible experience.

OP
OP
R

RE Mac

Reaction score
I’ve asked them to replace both turbos but at this point, they’re only doing exactly what Ford is telling them to do. I’m hoping when they tear it down, they’ll see more needs to be replaced. I’ll know more on Monday, I hope. I’m reading online that short blocks and blocks in general are on a month or two backorder. I hope that’s not the case here.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This obviously means you burned through your rings. How else can oil enter the cylinder in this quantity?

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This obviously means you burned through your rings. How else can oil enter the cylinder in this quantity?
thru the valve guides is really the only way. unless the cylinders are all scored up, i actually dont see a short block fixing it. oil from the turbos, would most likely not end up in the cylinders, but more so in the exhaust, so think smoke.... long way for the oil to get into the throttle body.

3.5s are great arent they? i hate to start a "theres no replacement for displacement" argument, but pushing V6 engines to 450hp by forcing 7.0L of air into them seems great on paper... but its all in the execution.