2020 Raptor New Short Block - Oil in Cylinders

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

RE Mac

Reaction score
The execution has proven robust in millions of trucks. There is a misconception that factory F/I engines are just N/A engines with turbos added, which couldn’t be further from the truth. They’re engineered to handle F/I; it’s not an afterthought.

This thread is a single example in which the OP ran his truck low on oil and internal engine damage occurred, which is not at all surprising.

The update that the Service Manager brought up can resolve oil consumption caused by high engine vacuum, but it cannot fix damage that has already occurred as a result of running low on oil.

OP
OP
R

RE Mac

Reaction score
They changed the oil, put dye in it and told me to “run the hell out of it.” I just ran it as I always do, around town, nothing crazy. From the time the oil was changed to the time I brought it back in, it was less than 3k miles. As someone mentioned, I shouldn’t have to check the oil in a $100k gasoline truck with less than 50k miles. If they would have told me to check it, I would have but they didn’t. I do know they’re going to make a lot of $ from ford for this job, so maybe he knew what was going to happen. Who knows. Now I can’t get them to tell me when the short block will be in (I hear there is a months long wait to get them) nor will they tell me if they’re doing anything to the heads, turbos or anything else. Things have gone silent, for now.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
They changed the oil, put dye in it and told me to “run the hell out of it.” I just ran it as I always do, around town, nothing crazy. From the time the oil was changed to the time I brought it back in, it was less than 3k miles. As someone mentioned, I shouldn’t have to check the oil in a $100k gasoline truck with less than 50k miles. If they would have told me to check it, I would have but they didn’t. I do know they’re going to make a lot of $ from ford for this job, so maybe he knew what was going to happen. Who knows. Now I can’t get them to tell me when the short block will be in (I hear there is a months long wait to get them) nor will they tell me if they’re doing anything to the heads, turbos or anything else. Things have gone silent, for now.
Every vehicle needs to have the oil level checked on a periodic basis, the price is irrelevant.

It’s right in the Owner’s Manual.

Check Every Month
Engine oil level

Space Ghost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i admit i dont check my oil every month, but i check the oil pressure and temps constantly (i love my '20 for having them), if everythings within normal temps i generally dont check. I also change my oil every 2500mi and check the level beforehand too.

Sort of random but related, @FordTechOne are the timing chains on these trucks one long stretch or two chains? And since his truck was low on oil for a decent bit, would it be prudent for those to be replaced when the new shortblock goes on?

Muchmore

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Every vehicle needs to have the oil level checked on a periodic basis, the price is irrelevant.

It’s right in the Owner’s Manual.

Check Every Month
Engine oil level
Sorry but "check every month" is too generic. Someone could drive 10k/month or idle for 10 hours/day. It's hard for manufacturers to remove dipsticks or tranny dipsticks, extend oil changes to 10k miles or even tell us not to change it until the vehicle tells us to do so and then chastise someone for not checking it 25%-50% into their oil change interval.

Neglect is neglect and that is certainly an owner's fault but in this case what did the owner do wrong? It burned 1qt/1000 miles so when he got to 5k miles the entire oil reserve would be new already? Just change the oil filter and keep adding oil? He only owned it for 20k miles?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sort of random but related, @FordTechOne are the timing chains on these trucks one long stretch or two chains? And since his truck was low on oil for a decent bit, would it be prudent for those to be replaced when the new shortblock goes on?
Two separate chains, one per bank. Any parts that were affected by a lack of lubrication should be replaced.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sorry but "check every month" is too generic. Someone could drive 10k/month or idle for 10 hours/day. It's hard for manufacturers to remove dipsticks or tranny dipsticks, extend oil changes to 10k miles or even tell us not to change it until the vehicle tells us to do so and then chastise someone for not checking it 25%-50% into their oil change interval.

Neglect is neglect and that is certainly an owner's fault but in this case what did the owner do wrong? It burned 1qt/1000 miles so when he got to 5k miles the entire oil reserve would be new already? Just change the oil filter and keep adding oil? He only owned it for 20k miles?
Yup. This is the first vehicle that I've owned since 1985 where I had to check the oil. The rest I would see how much drained out at each oil change to figure out if they were using oil. None did, and I never had to worry about it. I know, turbo and all, but it's annoying when tech takes you backwards instead of forward.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
10k is the absolute maximum; if you’re idling 10 hours a day it falls under special/severe operating conditions, which is nowhere near a 10k service interval. The Owners Manual specifies mileage intervals instead of oil life in some of those cases.

The oil dipstick is easily accessible and easy read. There is no need for the transmission fluid level to be checked periodically; they don’t consume fluid during operation.
Yes…that’s exactly what should be done. Don’t just run it out of oil and hope somebody else pays for an engine. Most manufacturers won’t. 1qt/1000 miles is out of spec; at that point the root cause of the excessive consumption needs to be diagnosed.

OP bought the truck used, who knows how it was driven/used for the first 30k miles. These types of threads seem to follow a common theme.

OP
OP
R

RE Mac

Reaction score
I own and fly airplanes and check the oil every time I fly, before and after getting in the plane. The reason for this is it could literally kill me if I am in flight and the engine locks up because I don’t have any oil in it. I’m simply not going to check oil on a truck between regular 3k mile oil changes that’s under warranty for another 50k miles. Kind of crazy anyone would do that IMO. Like outboard engines, you don’t have to touch them for years - the manufacturers use that as a selling point.

In the last 20 years and a dozen trucks, I’ve never had a service advisor, sales person, GM or anyone at any dealership tell me to check the oil between intervals, even with this issue. Again, I think they knew what was going to happen and wanted the engine work b/c they’re going to make a lot of $ on it. Just the short block, assuming nothing else is wrong after they tear it down (unlikely), is $12k.

I spoke to the ford rep today and he said this is a known issue and although it doesn’t happen often, it’s happened enough for them to know exactly what the issue is and what caused it. That’s where it gets a little fuzzy because he wouldn’t tell me what exactly causes it “ for legal reasons”. I.e. lemon law