2020 Raptor - Baja Designs S8 Grill Install Tips...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2020Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just finished installing the Baja Designs S8 light bar in the grill of my 2020 Raptor.
There are some variances with earlier model years, and here are a few tips.

1. The small white clips that attach the headlamp and lower grill trim:
Recommend ordering a bag of four, I completely removed the three pieces and broke two clips.

2. The four studs that attach the grill to the shutter assembly:
Recommend trying to order these, they are not shown in the parts diagram.
I had issues, but glued and reinstalled.
In the CJ Off-Road YouTube install video, the stud is shown as ******** in to a piece that slides into the shutter assembly, as shown below:
upload_2021-1-7_13-24-50.png upload_2021-1-7_13-25-30.png
But on my truck, the studs are press-fit into the plastic slider.
A bit too much tightening, and it breaks free of the plastic slider.
I would order replacement pieces if possible, and do not over-tighten.
In fact, I would roll-the-dice and order the older ones shown above also, if they are still available.
They appear superior to the later version, and hopefully will fit into the newer shutter assembly.

3. There is no guidance from Baja on how best to aim the lamp, so I made the face level.
From my initial drive, that works well.

4. When aimed level, the back of the lamp pushes against the shutter assembly.
I installed the lamp this way, and appears fine, but it must put the components under some strain.
Recommend using a Dremel or such to carve out a bit of clearance.
***Per JohnyPython below, there may be sufficient adjustability with the brackets to avoid the clearance issue.
Perhaps my installation did not suitably situate the components.

5. One of the owner's manual supplements lists the wire colors for the upfitter switches and pass-throughs.
These are different than what I have seen for 2018 & 2019 (which are supposedly the same).
The hot wires are the pack closest to the fender, which is what I have seen here on the forums.
However, either I misread the manual or it was incorrect and indicated that the hot wires were the pack closest to the motor.
I used switch 1 (yellow) for the lamp and switch 6 (yellow with stipe) for the backlight.

Otherwise, it is not too traumatic and provides good results.
I took the opportunity to ceramic coat the grill and shutter assembly while they were out of the truck.
Hopefully mud will stick to the shutters less now.
Let me know if you have any questions.
Have fun.

Last edited:

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I installed the S8 in my 18 and it’s amazing how much light it throws out there.

I used a square to make the front face 90* to the brackets - the light beam is very close to where I want it.

The S8 is a tight fit between the grille and shutter assembly. On mine, the lens is up against the grille rather than the shutter frame.
I believe the there is some adjustment front to back on the brackets.
It looks like there’s just enough room for the bar to fit between the grille and shutter frame.

Otherwise, it’s an amazing bar and totally worth the frustration installing it.

PaulS

Reaction score
This is great advice. I am about to tackle a light bar install myself. Any idea about part numbers for the clips and studs you recommend?

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was able to make it through the install in my ‘19 without breaking any parts. Pulling off the bezels around the headlamps was the most frustrating part of the job. You just have to man handle them a little. The back of the light does rub on the shutter assembly. But that stout light housing isn’t going to be affected by it. The light is built like a tank. I initially aimed the night down just a little vs level. Seems to be aiming low now. Will try leveling it. I ditched the 7/16” bolts and used some 7mm SS Allen bolts I had on hand. I figured and with my testing, it would be easier to get an Allen wrench in the grill for adjustment purposes.

I also wired the ambers and main light to each a separate uppfitter switch. The ambers are pretty cool and not gaudy as I thought they may be when the factory marker lights are on.

OP
OP
2020Raptor

2020Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
OP
OP
2020Raptor

2020Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was able to make it through the install in my ‘19 without breaking any parts. Pulling off the bezels around the headlamps was the most frustrating part of the job. You just have to man handle them a little. The back of the light does rub on the shutter assembly. But that stout light housing isn’t going to be affected by it. The light is built like a tank. I initially aimed the night down just a little vs level. Seems to be aiming low now. Will try leveling it. I ditched the 7/16” bolts and used some 7mm SS Allen bolts I had on hand. I figured and with my testing, it would be easier to get an Allen wrench in the grill for adjustment purposes.

I also wired the ambers and main light to each a separate uppfitter switch. The ambers are pretty cool and not gaudy as I thought they may be when the factory marker lights are on.

Nice !
The lamp is definitely a nice solid piece and provides a huge amount of illumination for its size.
I am going to see if I can access the bolts and nets and move the light forward a bit so that it does not hit the shutter assembly.
If I take off the radiator support cover, I think I will be able to do it.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nice !
The lamp is definitely a nice solid piece and provides a huge amount of illumination for its size.
I am going to see if I can access the bolts and nets and move the light forward a bit so that it does not hit the shutter assembly.
If I take off the radiator support cover, I think I will be able to do it.

I adjusted my light yesterday. Ended up removing the radiator support cover and was able to work it up or down. It’s tight and not easy. Doesn’t look like I have much wiggle room, even if I loosen the top brackets and try to move them forward. Hopefully it’s where I need to be now. Or one last time of adjustment should do it. Then It won’t matter as that’s where it will stay.

OP
OP
2020Raptor

2020Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was also looking to adjust the light yesterday.
But it is actually already up against the grill, so no wiggle room.
No issues, it is fine where it is.

I find that I want to use the light quite frequently.
But it is awkward to keep switching it on/off with oncoming traffic.
I would like to wire the light with a relay to turn on/off with the high-beams.
But reportedly this is very bad for the BCM.
Any other ideas ?

Last edited:

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was also looking to adjust the light yesterday.
But it is actually already up against the grill, so no wiggle room.
No issues, it is fine where it is.

I find that I want to use the light quite frequently.
But it is awkward to keep switching it on/off with oncoming traffic.
I would like to wire the light with a relay to turn on/off with the high-beams.
But reportedly this is very bad for the BCM.
Any other ideas ?

I gotta get my hands on a 1/4" drive universal so I can pivot the bar. Mine is up against the grill also but the bracket holes are elongated - might be able to get a tiny amount of adjustment.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I gotta get my hands on a 1/4" drive universal so I can pivot the bar. Mine is up against the grill also but the bracket holes are elongated - might be able to get a tiny amount of adjustment.

Tolerances may vary, but you may very well have enough room to pivot the light bar up and down some. I initially angled it down a little bit. But found the light was throwing to close in front of the truck and it’s a hot ***** LOL. Was like looking at sunshine and more light aimed further down the road will be better. I have it almost even now to the grill, or just angled up a hair. Have to test.

I’m going to get new lenses for my BD driving combo pods and convert them to wide cornering. The S8 has taken over all driving combo needs. This should boost my output when teamed with the SAE’s.