2020 Gen2 10R80 transmission failure 35k miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had this happen on my 2019 twice, i had to pay for the first one, i tried to get them to pay for it, but they said it was my fault, i didn't follow the directions to flat tow, i said it won't even to if i didn't do it correct. After the snd one, i went to Ford, the first person i talked to, also said it was my fault, but this dealer backed me up, i had to go thru 3 or 4 people to talk to the person that would listen to me, she got me the lemon law, they paid for the truck, the towing package i put on, then they ducted for the mileage i drove before the claim, and they wouldn't pay for the first transmission. You need to go up the food chain, and checking all over the web, it has happened to alot of people, one truck caught on fire, even damaged the motorhome, hop this helps
If the truck is properly put into neutral flat tow mode, the transmission is mechanically disengaged from driveline at the transfer case. That means nothing in transmission is rotating. The only way damage can occur is if the vehicle is not properly put into neutral flat tow mode, or the vehicle's battery discharges and the mode resets, reengaging the transmission. It's enough of an issue that Ford released the following bulletin last month:

Service Information

Certain Ford and Lincoln vehicles have the capability of being flat towed (four-wheel-down towed, neutral towed) behind another vehicle, such as a motor home, when the proper precautions are taken and procedures are followed as directed by the Owner's Manual. The Ford RV and Towing Guide (available from www.fleet.ford.com/towing-guides) is another good resource for flat towing information. Additionally, for select vehicles, Ford Motor Company has published how-to guide videos on YouTube to educate customers on how to properly flat tow their supported vehicle. These videos are easily accessed by a Google or YouTube search of "Ford Flat Tow". The presence of a front mounted hitch or draw bar may indicate that the vehicle has been setup for flat towing.

Failure to follow the published procedures when flat towing may result in catastrophic damage to the transmission and/or driveline which is considered non-warrantable. Transmission damage can also result from improperly towing a vehicle with a wrecker (towing with the vehicles drive wheels on the ground). The Owner's Manual contains helpful information regarding vehicle towing constraints. Wrecker towing guides are also available on the Professional Technician System (PTS) website under the Owner Info tab.

Observations made by the owner and/or technician after improperly towing a vehicle may include (but are not limited to):

• Vehicle will not move
• Tires locked up while towing
• Grinding noises, improper shifting
• Burned (dark/black) transmission fluid
• Excessive metal debris found in the transmission pan upon inspection
• Melted plastic components internal to the transmission
• Other catastrophic damage to the transmission, transfer case, or driveline
When this type of concern is found after flat towing (or improperly towing) a vehicle, it is the result of the customer not following the required towing guidelines, or the result of flat towing an unsupported vehicle. Related damages should not be covered under warranty. The customer may elect to work with their auto insurance company to potentially mitigate the costs of these repairs. The following further describes what might be observed after improper vehicle towing.

The article includes photos of the type of transmission damage that can occur when a vehicle is improperly flat towed. The fact that you blew up two transmissions and then managed to get your vehicle bought back under lemon law is ridiculous, talk about working the system.

Jr24

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My guess is that since the dealer has lost their transmission tech, they are unable, unwilling, or plain afraid to dive into your transmission to find the actual failure as Ford would likely require as a prerequisite for any possible warranty coverage.

Without a qualified transmission tech, the dealership probably does have someone who could replace an entire transmission but who does not have the skills to tear apart, diagnose, and repair an existing transmission, and that’s probably the reason the dealer claims that it needs a whole transmission regardless of whether it actually needs one. Either way, Ford will not want to replace a whole transmission if yours can be repaired, and the dealer knows this, so it easier for the dealership to tell Ford that you caused the damage and deny the warranty coverage rather than to admit to Ford that they don’t have the proper qualified technician.

For the most part, I think the 10 speed in the Raptor is pretty strong, as others have said, it is shared with the Mustang and a version of it is found in several GM trucks and Camaros. As I recall, the 10 speed in the Super Dutys is a totally different transmission even though it is also a 10 speed. I have the same basic transmission in my Mustang GT with the FP/Roush supercharger kit supposedly making 750hp, and before I installed the S/C, I talked to Ford Performance, and they seemed confident I had nothing to worry about as far as transmission longevity, so that would make me think that only the tune would have little to do with the failure of your transmission. Of course, since it’s not a Ford tune, I can see that they might give you grief.

DINOZR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well...I am not a tuner or expert, but just have lots of experience with high performance exotic cars, and have owned a repair business for a time as well...So there is the caveat with respect to my credentials (or lack).

With respect to a TCM/TCU tune, I think it is obvious as it changes the shifting dynamics for speed and performance and puts undue strain on the transmission if towing with the performance changes.

With respect to ECU tunes, again many variables are tweaked/changed to optimize performance/acceleration/torque/top speed/etc.. So if you have a performance tune and then hook something up to tow, it is harder on the engine (and drivetrain).
Think for example...my 997 TT goes 0-60 in under 3 seconds (with a tune and $30,000 in other mods). If I hooked up a trailer and laid down that power/torque/acceleration...No Bueno'! I would be shopping for a new one. Similarly...The Raptor has a set HP and Torque as designed by Ford Performance (~450 BHP 510 Lb/Ft TQ). You bump that up to ~600 and/or 600 TQ...Very hard on the engine and drivetrain when you tow with it.

All tunes (factory or otherwise) have a purpose, so when you adjust for speed / torque and then use it to pull ~8000 lbs. you get greater wear, faster...Or just plain break stuff.

Others can chime in as well.

DC
Thanks for the detailed answer. I 100% get why using your tuned Raptor to tow a load would increase wear on the drivetrain. Message received there.

I see I left out a critical detail though. I am asking why towing your tuned Raptor behind a motorhome would cause any additional wear on the Raptor over towing an untuned Raptor behind a motorhome. I thought that's what we are discussing: the Raptor getting towed. Am I wrong?

Therock88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed answer. I 100% get why using your tuned Raptor to tow a load would increase wear on the drivetrain. Message received there.

I see I left out a critical detail though. I am asking why towing your tuned Raptor behind a motorhome would cause any additional wear on the Raptor over towing an untuned Raptor behind a motorhome. I thought that's what we are discussing: the Raptor getting towed. Am I wrong?
Ahhh. Gotcha. Thought I was answering your question, but yes I think the original post was for towing the truck...not the truck towing something else.

In the scenario of the truck being towed, as others have pointed out, if the correct procedure is followed for disengaging the transmission I do not see how any ECU or TCU tune would have any effect. Basically the truck would be OFF and the transmission would be disengaged so nothing would be moving internal(Again, assuming it is put in the proper towing mode).

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That piece of information @FordTechOne mentioned in regards to the battery going dead and the neutral tow mode getting reset is interesting. For instance if your towing that truck across the country and say you don’t drive it for a week or two. There can be a good chance an older battery could lose charge. Did it happen here? Wouldn’t know, but it is a plausible suspicion.

Now the drive I would certainly think, would feel increased drag on the RV or lose Mpg and would want to stop and investigate.

Honestly it sounds impossible for the “tune” to be the direct culprit in this scenario. The vehicle is not running and the tune cannot disable the neutral tow mode. However if the tune is very strong and the truck is maybe driven balls to the wall on regular basis or it’s a case of “sh~~ happens”. The transmission may have been a half broken timebomb and waiting to be a failure.

Where in South FL are you? What dealer did you take the truck to?

MRV99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The TCU tune may have had %0.00 effect on the trans failing. The fact that an aftermarket tune was on the transmission at the time of failure is the reason why it is being denied. Does not matter if it failed and you flashed it or you flashed it before you left the dealership with 1 mile in the clock. Ford does not know if it was programed by the inventor of the transmission or a monkey it is all a mystery to them what could have been done. The fact that you modified it is the only thing they care about.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Risk that we take, hence why most ppl wait until after warranty. But, the truck is slow without a tune, so we all understand.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think the only way to flat tow these safely is remove the rear driveshaft.
If you can afford to flat tow a Raptor behind your motorhome, the cost of a transmission is miniscule. Besides that, lots of vehicles are designed to flat towed, including the raptor, so if something fails it should be covered if under warranty.