2020 Gen2 10R80 transmission failure 35k miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My truck had a tranny issue prior to any tune - fifth gear was very saucy and so was reverse. The TSB fixed all of that.

Regardless, best of luck man, that sucks.

DFS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you don't understand how a tune can lead to damaging your transmission, wait until you see what it can do to your engine/driveline even though there's no "mechanical" changes if something goes wrong.

Therock88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you don't understand how a tune can lead to damaging your transmission, wait until you see what it can do to your engine/driveline even though there's no "mechanical" changes if something goes wrong.
Yes...Like too much timing without any knock control mechanism (cooling/octane). That'll learn ya fast :) Haha.

All of the Cobb AP documentation, also warns you about towing with any of the tunes....

DC

smithfrk

Reaction score
Welcome to FRF

Not enough information to form an opinion on the cause here, which is key. What failed and how is important to understand. It’s not enough to say you towed it and you have a tune. New transmission. What broke? Why won’t it go into gear? This isn’t just about that you have a tune, it’s a chicken$hit answer to a customer complaint, regardless of whether the vehicle is modified or stock. Either it’s an attempt to soak the customer, or the manufacturer. So even though I would probably be ready to shell out some $$$ to fix it, I’d still want to know they’re not trying to duck out on a legit warranty claim in order to get more $$$ out of the repair.

A few have upgraded the 10R80 but not that many. It is doable, and maybe some of them could comment.
I had this happen on my 2019 twice, i had to pay for the first one, i tried to get them to pay for it, but they said it was my fault, i didn't follow the directions to flat tow, i said it won't even to if i didn't do it correct. After the snd one, i went to Ford, the first person i talked to, also said it was my fault, but this dealer backed me up, i had to go thru 3 or 4 people to talk to the person that would listen to me, she got me the lemon law, they paid for the truck, the towing package i put on, then they ducted for the mileage i drove before the claim, and they wouldn't pay for the first transmission. You need to go up the food chain, and checking all over the web, it has happened to alot of people, one truck caught on fire, even damaged the motorhome, hop this helps

DINOZR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes...Like too much timing without any knock control mechanism (cooling/octane). That'll learn ya fast :) Haha.

All of the Cobb AP documentation, also warns you about towing with any of the tunes....

DC
I don't have a tune or tow, so I am just blatantly curious...what is the danger of towing with a tune? They seem like two very separated issues to me.

Therock88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have a tune or tow, so I am just blatantly curious...what is the danger of towing with a tune? They seem like two very separated issues to me.
Well...I am not a tuner or expert, but just have lots of experience with high performance exotic cars, and have owned a repair business for a time as well...So there is the caveat with respect to my credentials (or lack).

With respect to a TCM/TCU tune, I think it is obvious as it changes the shifting dynamics for speed and performance and puts undue strain on the transmission if towing with the performance changes.

With respect to ECU tunes, again many variables are tweaked/changed to optimize performance/acceleration/torque/top speed/etc.. So if you have a performance tune and then hook something up to tow, it is harder on the engine (and drivetrain).
Think for example...my 997 TT goes 0-60 in under 3 seconds (with a tune and $30,000 in other mods). If I hooked up a trailer and laid down that power/torque/acceleration...No Bueno'! I would be shopping for a new one. Similarly...The Raptor has a set HP and Torque as designed by Ford Performance (~450 BHP 510 Lb/Ft TQ). You bump that up to ~600 and/or 600 TQ...Very hard on the engine and drivetrain when you tow with it.

All tunes (factory or otherwise) have a purpose, so when you adjust for speed / torque and then use it to pull ~8000 lbs. you get greater wear, faster...Or just plain break stuff.

Others can chime in as well.

DC

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
I tow my Raptor behind my motorhome and this past summer added a tune from Livernois. Everything was great until I unhooked the truck after towing it home and it would not go into gear. Ford dealer says either towing or tune messed up the transmission and it needs a new one for $9,000. Ford will not cover any of the the repair because of the tune.

Would appreciate any helpful thoughts from other’s experience. Looking for a rebuild shop that can repair and upgrade the transmission. Currently in the south Florida area but can travel for the right place.

Did you try disconnecting the battery overnight? Never know. :p

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
I tow my Raptor behind my motorhome and this past summer added a tune from Livernois. Everything was great until I unhooked the truck after towing it home and it would not go into gear. Ford dealer says either towing or tune messed up the transmission and it needs a new one for $9,000. Ford will not cover any of the the repair because of the tune. Would appreciate any helpful thoughts from other’s experience. Looking for a rebuild shop that can repair and upgrade the transmission. Currently in the south Florida area but can travel for the right place. I had this happen on my 2019 twice, i had to pay for the first one, i tried to get them to pay for it, but they said it was my fault, i didn't follow the directions to flat tow, i said it won't even to if i didn't do it correct. After the snd one, i went to Ford, the first person i talked to, also said it was my fault, but this dealer backed me up, i had to go thru 3 or 4 people to talk to the person that would listen to me, she got me the lemon law, they paid for the truck, the towing package i put on, then they ducted for the mileage i drove before the claim, and they wouldn't pay for the first transmission. You need to go up the food chain, and checking all over the web, it has happened to alot of people, one truck caught on fire, even damaged the motorhome, hop this helps
I had this happen on my 2019 twice, i had to pay for the first one, i tried to get them to pay for it, but they said it was my fault, i didn't follow the directions to flat tow, i said it won't even to if i didn't do it correct. After the snd one, i went to Ford, the first person i talked to, also said it was my fault, but this dealer backed me up, i had to go thru 3 or 4 people to talk to the person that would listen to me, she got me the lemon law, they paid for the truck, the towing package i put on, then they ducted for the mileage i drove before the claim, and they wouldn't pay for the first transmission. You need to go up the food chain, and checking all over the web, it has happened to alot of people, one truck caught on fire, even damaged the motorhome, hop this helps
That was because he didn't put the vehicle in the proper tow mode. At least the one I've read about.