2020 Gen2 10R80 transmission failure 35k miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good thing I don't have a desire to tow anything or be towed. This looks like a headache. Ha.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Actually it’s not. I see everything from Raptors to Jeeps being flat towed behind RV’s all the time on highways. Doesn’t seem like a big deal if done correctly.

NHbeast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a Utube of tearing down a 10R80
Lots of clutch packs, ring gears, and a tech
Some finger pointing...no talk...no music
45 minutes long
Enjoy a Blue Oval Solution vid

BC119

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the truck is properly put into neutral flat tow mode, the transmission is mechanically disengaged from driveline at the transfer case. That means nothing in transmission is rotating. The only way damage can occur is if the vehicle is not properly put into neutral flat tow mode, or the vehicle's battery discharges and the mode resets, reengaging the transmission. It's enough of an issue that Ford released the following bulletin last month:
Hey @FordTechOne , this had me thinking. Are all the 10R80s mechanically the same? ie; all of the transmissions in the F150, Raptor, Mustang, Navigator, etc. across all of Ford's engines are mechanically exactly alike, with obvious transmission tuning differences?

It would be cool to flat tow a 5.0 Mustang GT, or be able to flash an F150 with an aggressive Mustang transmission tune, lol!

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey @FordTechOne , this had me thinking. Are all the 10R80s mechanically the same? ie; all of the transmissions in the F150, Raptor, Mustang, Navigator, etc. across all of Ford's engines are mechanically exactly alike, with obvious transmission tuning differences?

It would be cool to flat tow a 5.0 Mustang GT, or be able to flash an F150 with an aggressive Mustang transmission tune, lol!
There are differences in torque converters, shift systems (shift by wire or manual valve), and which module controls the transmission (PCM or TCM).

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
MPG is so poor on motorhomes, I can't imagine what it is when towing a vehicle as large and heavy as a raptor. And I always wondered, other than adding even more weight, why people who do tow vehicles behind, don't use a lightweight trailer to do so.

As far as I'm concerned, dealer service is to be used for warranty repair only. I also use them for oil changes as I trust them more than Jiffy or any of those joints. And my local mechanic, who is great, charges more for an oil change than the dealer.

RaptorFire

Reaction score

During research I found this forum. I am preparing to file a lawsuit against Ford. We were full-time RV'ers for several years and had towed a 2018 Jeep Sahara without problems all throughout the US including throughout Alaska. We would be considered very experienced RV'ers. We had also recently purchased 20 acres on the Salt River in Wyoming and were building a RV Park when the incident occurred. The Raptor was purchased in St. George, UT and the Air Force One braking system was professionally installed by Nielson's RV. The Raptor was flat towed from St. George to our land, 500 miles away without problem. A trip was planned several months later to take the RV back to the Las Vegas Newmar dealership for some warranty repairs. We attached the Raptor to the Roadmaster tow bar, placed the Raptor into Neutral Tow (this is a simple process, just follow the prompts using the toggle knob/OK button, listen for the loud clank sound as the transmission disengages, etc), checked to confirm wheels rolled freely, brake lights/ turn signals worked properly, etc. and proceeded down the hwy. We had stopped several times to check the raptor for heat coming from tires or engine and found none. Traveled approximately 500 miles when white smoke burst from the engine compartment. Exited the 15 FWY and pulled over into a safe spot. Exhausted 2 fire extinguishers while waiting for fire dept while also grabbing several important items from the MH. Fire dept in Leeds, UT was very close to us but unfortunately was closed, so we waited until Fire dept from Hurricane, UT arrived. There was NO State Investigation (as Fox reported) and the Raptor transmission was in Neutral Tow not N as some of you have surmised. We had traveled 500 miles before the incident occurred. The aluminum fire was so hot it was impossible for the fire dept to put out until there was nothing left of the Raptor. The fire destroyed all evidence. Both insurance companies and Ford have conducted a 1+ year investigation. Ford is attempting to hide behind this feature of aluminum (the fact aluminum burns hotter and destroys evidence) as to claim there is insufficient evidence of a defect in the Neutral Tow/ computer system of the Raptor. I have set up an email address for direct communication: [email protected]

James O

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did not read the entire thread but you might consider returning the truck back to stock to see if the trans starts operating. If not then maybe try another Ford dealer with the stock tune and just tell them you disconnected the battery to see if it would reset.