2020 Gen2 10R80 transmission failure 35k miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chapmanws

Reaction score
I tow my Raptor behind my motorhome and this past summer added a tune from Livernois. Everything was great until I unhooked the truck after towing it home and it would not go into gear. Ford dealer says either towing or tune messed up the transmission and it needs a new one for $9,000. Ford will not cover any of the the repair because of the tune.

Would appreciate any helpful thoughts from other’s experience. Looking for a rebuild shop that can repair and upgrade the transmission. Currently in the south Florida area but can travel for the right place.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well, towing shouldn't ruin it, since there is a tow mode specific for towing behind a motorhome. Did you follow that procedure? If so, maybe try another dealer. Ask Livernois if there tune messes with the towing parameters. $9k sounds expensive. Tasca has it for a lot less.

ford.pngJL3Z7000N - Automatic Transmission: Transmission for Ford Image Placeholder
Automatic Transmission Assembly 1
JL3Z7000N
Transmission
Expedition. 4wd. Without electronic gearshift. F150. 10r80 trans. 3.5l. 4wd. With turbo. F150. 10r80 trans. 2.7l. 4wd.
MSRP $3,233.67
$2,655.65
ADD TO CART

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Welcome to FRF

I tow my Raptor behind my motorhome and this past summer added a tune from Livernois. Everything was great until I unhooked the truck after towing it home and it would not go into gear. Ford dealer says either towing or tune messed up the transmission and it needs a new one for $9,000. Ford will not cover any of the the repair because of the tune.

Not enough information to form an opinion on the cause here, which is key. What failed and how is important to understand. It’s not enough to say you towed it and you have a tune. New transmission. What broke? Why won’t it go into gear? This isn’t just about that you have a tune, it’s a chicken$hit answer to a customer complaint, regardless of whether the vehicle is modified or stock. Either it’s an attempt to soak the customer, or the manufacturer. So even though I would probably be ready to shell out some $$$ to fix it, I’d still want to know they’re not trying to duck out on a legit warranty claim in order to get more $$$ out of the repair.

A few have upgraded the 10R80 but not that many. It is doable, and maybe some of them could comment.

OP
OP
C

chapmanws

Reaction score
I have towed the truck all over the country and always put into “tow mode.” The Ford dealer has lost their transmission mechanic and will not offer any opinion on why the transmission failed. Livernois says their tunes improve transmission performance and lesson wear and tear. The tune is only a software modification, nothing mechanical. I have been told the 10R80 is the same transmission in the F250/350 and Mustang 5.0. I don’t understand how a tune could harm this transmission.

I am considering having the transmission rebuilt by Suncoast Performance in Fort Walton, FL. They have experienced 10R80 fails in less than 1,000 miles. They believe the clutch in the torque converter failed and nothing else should be damaged. They are proposing to rebuild the transmission with an upgraded torque converter. I am waiting on the cost.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have towed the truck all over the country and always put into “tow mode.” The Ford dealer has lost their transmission mechanic and will not offer any opinion on why the transmission failed. Livernois says their tunes improve transmission performance and lesson wear and tear. The tune is only a software modification, nothing mechanical. I have been told the 10R80 is the same transmission in the F250/350 and Mustang 5.0. I don’t understand how a tune could harm this transmission.

I am considering having the transmission rebuilt by Suncoast Performance in Fort Walton, FL. They have experienced 10R80 fails in less than 1,000 miles. They believe the clutch in the torque converter failed and nothing else should be damaged. They are proposing to rebuild the transmission with an upgraded torque converter. I am waiting on the cost.
That sounds very plausible, I’d imagine that’s a weak point, sometimes I feel like there’s some slop in the driveline at the yolk/pinion or that the clutch in TC isn’t engaging soon enough…..but all in all it seems consensus is these trannies are pretty stout. As you noted same in the Super Duty but also same in many high power Gm vehicles- trucks, suv, Camparo ZL1 etc

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
If you upped the power with the tune, specifically the torque, that could put the transmission in jeopardy. I think it’s only rated to 590 foot pounds, the stock rating of the motor is 510. In stock trim, you can get away with all manner of shenanigans in the truck. Push the torque up over the limit and start romping on it -because, that’s why you tune... and this can induce a hard part failure.

Ford dealer has lost their transmission mechanic and will not offer any opinion on why the transmission failed.
Myth confirmed. They want your money and don’t care if there might actually be a valid warranty concern. Tough to really say with what we know, but the stealership seems to not care.
Livernois says their tunes improve transmission performance and lesson wear and tear. The tune is only a software modification, nothing mechanical.
How?

I have been told the 10R80 is the same transmission in the F250/350 and Mustang 5.0. I don’t understand how a tune could harm this transmission.

You tuned the engine and transmission, correct? What was the expected HP/TQ at the crank? did you dyno tune the truck? What’s the use profile been since tuning?

I’m interested to know the cost for building up the transmission.