2020 Explorer has 10" screen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I find it interesting that the new 2020 Ford Explorer has an option for a 10 in screen, and it is using SYNC 3. That makes me wonder about a couple possibilities.

1 - It seems like it's entirely possible, probable perhaps, that the 2021 Raptor will have the same screen. If 2021 is a full redesign, it seems like it would be a huge oversight. Even, if it's still the same Truck design overall, it seems like it would be a great way to eliminate customers reasons for considering a Ram.

2- Would be possible to put these 10" screens in our trucks? I'm not sure if there is a difference in the SYNC 3 modules between the different vehicle lines, but I imagine there is. Perhaps it's only a matter of firmware. The of course there's a fitment issue. The explorer looks like it's not embedded in the dash, but sticks out in front...which would make a modified version for Raptor easier to do I imagine. Then again, the buttons on the top of the dash would need to be relocated.

Could it be possible that a 2021 Raptor has a new 10" dash, and the part can then be put in our dash plug and play? I doubt that.

MinGrey02Stg2

Reaction score
Seems like that would be the natural progression of things, though I hate the look of the "iPad in the dash" interiors like BMW and Mercedes has been doing (Explorer looks the same). If it's just a firmware thing, then there's little doubt the aftermarket will make a bezel piece to fit the 10" screen. If it's much more than that, I doubt it will hold the aftermarket back either.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I thought in 2021 Ford releases the new F-150? If that’s the case a lot will be different and surely they would have to incorporate the 10” display. Like phones, people generally want more screen. A retro fit for the previous gen would be nice. I can see a conversion bezel helping. Now how to run the software? New module? Sounds like it gets more complicated.

I happened to be at a Lincoln dealership yesterday looking at 2020 Aviators with my wife. The new 10” display is HD and so are the cameras. It’s honestly several levels above the Sync 3 system in the Raptor. Mind you many of the features relate to that vehicle though. It also had the Revel 28 speaker sound system. Those vehicles are in the same price range and higher as the Raptor. But all Raptor tech is carried up from F-150’s below and of that time period.

Hey the Raptors tech is pretty much on par in many ways with most today, LCD display and some functions starting to show its age.

But Sync 3 still gets the job done. I can’t complain. I’m sure improvements will come to the next gen F-150.