2020 Engine Trouble, Cylinder Backfires and Camshaft Position B.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A software update fixes excessive oil consumption? I would like to understand that.
The piston rings in the 3.5 H.O. seal against the cylinder extremity well. The side effect of that is very high vacuum under deceleration. The vacuum is high enough that atomized oil can be drawn past the piston rings, resulting in oil consumption. The new calibration increases throttle angle on decel, preventing that condition from occurring.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The piston rings in the 3.5 H.O. seal against the cylinder extremity well. The side effect of that is very high vacuum under deceleration. The vacuum is high enough that atomized oil can be drawn past the piston rings, resulting in oil consumption. The new calibration increases throttle angle on decel, preventing that condition from occurring.
Insane. What will the engineers think of next…

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How do they get around startup compression?

OP
OP
Mark McAwesome

Mark McAwesome

Reaction score
Well, I celebrated to soon I guess. Truck just started having cylinder 6 misfires again. If I get on the truck while cruising it will vibrate excessively and throw a code, cylinder 6 misfire. All the obvious things have been checked multiple times, I’ve replaced spark plugs, ignition coils, cam shaft sensors and map sensors. I’m planning on pulling the port fuel injectors this afternoon and taking a look at them, check resistances. I have it scheduled to get looked at by Ford for next Thursday, and a local shop I trust more November 2nd. I’ll report back with findings.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well, I celebrated to soon I guess. Truck just started having cylinder 6 misfires again. If I get on the truck while cruising it will vibrate excessively and throw a code, cylinder 6 misfire. All the obvious things have been checked multiple times, I’ve replaced spark plugs, ignition coils, cam shaft sensors and map sensors. I’m planning on pulling the port fuel injectors this afternoon and taking a look at them, check resistances. I have it scheduled to get looked at by Ford for next Thursday, and a local shop I trust more November 2nd. I’ll report back with findings.
Super curious whats actually wrong. I though port injection was only used during light duty and start up?

blwn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the plugs again. If they are melted again like that you have something serious going on with the injectors or tune. I'd go back to stock injectors and tune if the plugs are good. You risk damaging a cylinder the way those plugs look

OP
OP
Mark McAwesome

Mark McAwesome

Reaction score
Working on taking it back to stock, have it on gas tune now, switching injectors out tomorrow and checking on the sparks again.