2020 Engine Trouble, Cylinder Backfires and Camshaft Position B.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Update: used a cylinder compression tool to check the cylinder 1, it’s at 150psi. Is this correct?

What other options do I have before I take it to Ford? Is the gasket messed up on cylinder 1 which is why it’s leaking oil? Could that be why it’s nuked two spark plugs? Was there excessive fuel/oil mixture in the cylinder when I replaced plugs the first time, maybe that explains all the fuel that leaked out of the exhaust at the connection points under the truck?
Compression specs are not published; the test procedure is to measure compression in all cylinders and then compare the readings. The lowest reading should be within 75% of the highest readings.

Broken ground electrodes are the result of pre-ignition or a shock load in the cylinder. Since there was fuel pouring out of the exhaust, there may be an issue with the PFI or DI injector in that cylinder.

OP
OP
Mark McAwesome

Mark McAwesome

Reaction score
Compression specs are not published; the test procedure is to measure compression in all cylinders and then compare the readings. The lowest reading should be within 75% of the highest readings.

Broken ground electrodes are the result of pre-ignition or a shock load in the cylinder. Since there was fuel pouring out of the exhaust, there may be an issue with the PFI or DI injector in that cylinder.
We’re going to check the port injectors, will swap 6 to 5 and I’ll check the resistance on all of them. If that doesn’t correct. I’ll baby the truck to where I can swap back to gas, then then put the original port injectors and stock tune, then take her to Ford.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
We’re going to check the port injectors, will swap 6 to 5 and I’ll check the resistance on all of them. If that doesn’t correct. I’ll baby the truck to where I can swap back to gas, then then put the original port injectors and stock tune, then take her to Ford.
I would think it’d be the DI injector on 6 not the port.

OP
OP
Mark McAwesome

Mark McAwesome

Reaction score
I would think it’d be the DI injector on 6 not the port.
If that’s the case, I won’t be messing with the DI injectors, I’ll let Ford play with those.

Pulled the manifold, by chance I looked at the MAF sensor on the back of the manifold, it was dripping with oil. I pulled and cleaned all three. Not sure if this is the fix yet but it might explain why the spark plugs on six were good, spark plug on one was wrecked and I was still getting cyclometer six misfire codes. We’ll see putting everything back together now.

OP
OP
Mark McAwesome

Mark McAwesome

Reaction score
VICTORY!!!!! Everything is back together, cleared the ECU, cleared the TCM, warmed the truck up, prayed and then did a hard pull. No issues, truck pulled hard.

Culprit: MAF Sensor on the firewall side of the the intake manifold. It hasn’t been looked at in 75k, it was covered in oil…dripping, never even thought to look at it. I’ll be checking and cleaning all three of them every oil change.

Thank you to everyone for your input and advice, it helped me think through the problem and fix it. I’ll be taking out the 1050cc injectors next weekend, switching back to gas and having Ford do the PCM update for TSB# 20-2423.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
VICTORY!!!!! Everything is back together, cleared the ECU, cleared the TCM, warmed the truck up, prayed and then did a hard pull. No issues, truck pulled hard.

Culprit: MAF Sensor on the firewall side of the the intake manifold. It hasn’t been looked at in 75k, it was covered in oil…dripping, never even thought to look at it. I’ll be checking and cleaning all three of them every oil change.

Thank you to everyone for your input and advice, it helped me think through the problem and fix it. I’ll be taking out the 1050cc injectors next weekend, switching back to gas and having Ford do the PCM update for TSB# 20-2423.
Glad I'm running a UPR catch can.