2020 Engine Trouble, Cylinder Backfires and Camshaft Position B.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Update, changed the plugs. Cylinder 1 plug was covered in oil and melted, shorting out the plug. After starting it, carbon colored fuel mixture shot out the passenger side tail pipe spraying the wall and a water fuel mixture was on the ground back my the bed were the exhaust pipes clamp together. Truck surged a little getting started but now back to normal. Will be switching back to stock tune and getting ford to do the PCM update that TSB calls for. Thanks FordTechOne for all your help.
Wow that plug was fouled. Make sure your tune doesn’t overwrite the parameters in the Ford software update before re-installing it. You may need to contact your tuner for verification. Some only change part of the calibration, some overwrite the entire thing.

OP
OP
Mark McAwesome

Mark McAwesome

Reaction score
That was short lived, secondary ignition kicked in accelerating to get on the interstate, truck started jerking, check engine flashing. Pulled over and got the P0306 code, this after fresh plugs. Going to swap coil 6 to 5 and see if the miss fire follows. I was able to make it home with no additional issues or codes, I had to accelerant slow and keep the rpm’s at 3500 or less.

Attachments

• 4992EBE3-8BDD-4F66-97C9-40094D7F6938.jpeg
    4992EBE3-8BDD-4F66-97C9-40094D7F6938.jpeg
    166.3 KB · Views: 3
OP
OP
Mark McAwesome

Mark McAwesome

Reaction score
Wow that plug was fouled. Make sure your tune doesn’t overwrite the parameters in the Ford software update before re-installing it. You may need to contact your tuner for verification. Some only change part of the calibration, some overwrite the entire thing.
Not only fouled, but melted and shorted out.

OP
OP
Mark McAwesome

Mark McAwesome

Reaction score
Swapped ignition coils, 6 to 3, hoping for the error to move to 3. It stayed at cylinder 6, again getting the P0306 miss fire error. If I do gentle driving with no hard accelerations, everything is fine. The vibrations and error code don’t come on until I do a hard acceleration with a downshift. I’m at a lose for what the issue is.

OP
OP
Mark McAwesome

Mark McAwesome

Reaction score
Update: P0306 still firing when I accelerate hard, which is misfire cylinder 6. On a whim I decided to see what cylinder 1 spark plug looked like, brand new with less than 50 miles, see photo. Tip is absolutely melted off, oil covering the threads all the way up.

Using a flashlight to look down into cylinder 1 looks like there’s oil coating the top of the piston. Looking in cylinder 2 for reference looks clean, light colored gray carbon

Attachments

• 38EFF9C1-170A-459F-805A-5F2CF60D05D0.jpeg
    38EFF9C1-170A-459F-805A-5F2CF60D05D0.jpeg
    99.6 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
OP
OP
Mark McAwesome

Mark McAwesome

Reaction score
Update: used a cylinder compression tool to check the cylinder 1, it’s at 150psi. Is this correct?

What other options do I have before I take it to Ford? Is the gasket messed up on cylinder 1 which is why it’s leaking oil? Could that be why it’s nuked two spark plugs? Was there excessive fuel/oil mixture in the cylinder when I replaced plugs the first time, maybe that explains all the fuel that leaked out of the exhaust at the connection points under the truck?

Stroked out

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see you keep changing coils. Why do you think its your coils. If it was me i would take those injectors off and try a ots tune to see if it cleared up.

OP
OP
Mark McAwesome

Mark McAwesome

Reaction score
I see you keep changing coils. Why do you think its your coils. If it was me i would take those injectors off and try a ots tune to see if it cleared up.
Removing the swapping injectors was a next step considered, the problem is I’m running e85 and have half a tank, so I can’t just pull them unless I dump the tank completely and fill back up with gas immediately.

What I did just do was verify compression on cylinder 2, 150psi. So I threw the new ignition coil on cylinder 1 with a new spark plug gapped at .028. Started the truck up, everything sounds fine, and took it for a light drive. Going to pull the plug again and check it out before I try to see if I can do a hard acceleration.