2020 Bead-lock Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shane361

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Please forgive my ignorance, first bead-lock rims. Looked at several videos on them so I understance the concept. From the factory I would assume the beadlocks are not in use. So in order to use them you would need to deflate and move the tire lip to the outside of the rim and then use the rings. Is there a good torque when they are not in use? It's not a huge deal at this point I understand, but curious what others do. If true about the not in use I can take them off with no issue and still drive as normal if I had them powder coated? Thanks in advance for any replies. R1.PNG

Bracamonte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please forgive my ignorance, first bead-lock rims. Looked at several videos on them so I understance the concept. From the factory I would assume the beadlocks are not in use. So in order to use them you would need to deflate and move the tire lip to the outside of the rim and then use the rings. Is there a good torque when they are not in use? It's not a huge deal at this point I understand, but curious what others do. If true about the not in use I can take them off with no issue and still drive as normal if I had them powder coated? Thanks in advance for any replies. View attachment 333168

Yes, you are correct about how the tire fits over the lip and is pinched and held in place by the beadlock ring.

Second: realize that the rings on the truck stock are "beauty rings." They can't function as beadlock rings. That will be a separate purchase for you to use the "beadlock capable" wheels in a beadlocking manner.

Yes, you can remove the "beauty rings" and drive around. Does no harm. The bolt holes will be exposed is all.

OP
OP
Shane361

Shane361

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes, you are correct about how the tire fits over the lip and is pinched and held in place by the beadlock ring.

Second: realize that the rings on the truck stock are "beauty rings." They can't function as beadlock rings. That will be a separate purchase for you to use the "beadlock capable" wheels in a beadlocking manner.

Yes, you can remove the "beauty rings" and drive around. Does no harm. The bolt holes will be exposed is all.
Thank you for that, did not know you needed legit rings and these were just beauty.

Teraflx

Reaction score

ImAllSCREWdUp

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Attachments

• 20211214_121101.jpg
    20211214_121101.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

RaptorRnr

Reaction score
Make sure the state(s) you plan to drive in allow a bead lock setup on the road. Here in CA, it's not legal on surface streets. I've heard of Highway Patrols running down vehicles headed to the Pismo (Oceano) Dunes for running on the freeway. I'd probably do the rings myself but I'm too lazy to carry four wheels/tires and swap them when I get to the sand. There are some good YouTube videos of how to set this up yourself. The tires hold up pretty well for the occasional times you're gonna drive in sand, air down to around 20 lbs. and then air up to travel on-road.

You could be like this guy and tow your toys with your F350. Then you just leave the bead locks on. #jealous.

Attachments

• Raptor towed - 1.jpeg
    Raptor towed - 1.jpeg
    143.8 KB · Views: 61

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Can you just remove the beauties and bolt on the actual FP BL rings for looks? I think this would give him an option that he may like. The look of the BL rings are nice.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
These are what you would need just so you have an idea on cost.

dam....the price has almost doubled over the years.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Can you just remove the beauties and bolt on the actual FP BL rings for looks? I think this would give him an option that he may like. The look of the BL rings are nice.
Somebody posted a pic here with the BL ring but the outer bead seated in the rim.

The BL ring sticks out a good 3/4” and looks terrible IMO.