2019 transmission slipping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zemuron99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do take it through the carwash a lot and if something were not sealed it could be wet.
I think that may be worth digging deeper into before they pull the tranny. A messed up connector sending faulty signals, or none at all could generate lots of trouble codes. As I mentioned, seen this mentioned a few times on the EcoDiesel forums. They have a connector under the body attached to a frame rail that seems susceptible to moisture, and when owners have had issues with it lots of codes internal to the tranny get generated. Remember if the computer expects signal "A" and doesn't receive it, it doesn't know whether the signal was sent and not received, or never sent. So it sets the code for not being sent i.e. an issue with "X" component that was expected to send the signal.

OP
OP
R

Ray Knight

Reaction score
I think that may be worth digging deeper into before they pull the tranny. A messed up connector sending faulty signals, or none at all could generate lots of trouble codes. As I mentioned, seen this mentioned a few times on the EcoDiesel forums. They have a connector under the body attached to a frame rail that seems susceptible to moisture, and when owners have had issues with it lots of codes internal to the tranny get generated. Remember if the computer expects signal "A" and doesn't receive it, it doesn't know whether the signal was sent and not received, or never sent. So it sets the code for not being sent i.e. an issue with "X" component that was expected to send the signal.

That would make a lot of sense. I had an Evo X with the DCT and it was actually doing almost the exact same thing as my Raptor is. Dealer could not figure it out. Turned out they flashed an update and used the ECU files for a manual trans by mistake. When they flashed the correct files eventually it shifted perfect. Totally different as my Raptor was never flashed but if a connector was damaged or moisture inside i can see how it can act without getting the right signals!

OP
OP
R

Ray Knight

Reaction score
Just picked up the truck. They replaced the valve body and inspected everything in the transmission. They found slight binding in shift solenoid E and TCC shift valve but just replaced the unit as a whole. They did some road testing, datalogging and reflashed it. Seems to be working perfect now. Lets hope it stays solid now!

20190321_150932.jpg

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My only concern if I was in your shoes would be how much wear the clutch packs endured in the miles you drove it before it got repaired.

OP
OP
R

Ray Knight

Reaction score
My only concern if I was in your shoes would be how much wear the clutch packs endured in the miles you drove it before it got repaired.

Luckily i'm pretty mechanical minded and the first time it happened i was right by my house. I immediately let off the gas and limped it home with as light throttle as possible. When i drove it to the dealer if it even started slipping i would let off the gas. Only giving gas when it held in gear. I don't think any harm was really done but if it was, its under warranty! It was more wide open than partially engaged. Should be ok. I get a new truck every 2 years so hopefully it can handle another 25k or so.

OP
OP
R

Ray Knight

Reaction score
Dammit. 125 miles since repaired. Acting up again. Shifted into 1st at 75mph! Banging through gears 7-10. Trans temp 225 on the highway.

Got home with oil all over the bottom of the truck. All over the exhaust, skid plate, frame

Last edited:

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
While probably not lemon status yet, I would at least get the ball rolling on finding an attorney, don’t mention it to the dealer though. If you start getting the run around between your dealer and Ford and getting an adequate resolution, at least you've got a bit of a head start. I personally would be pushing for a transmission replacement at this point. I think it's clear they don't really know what the issue is, and I would not at all trust the workmanship of the service department to go digging inside the tranny for a rebuild.

OP
OP
R

Ray Knight

Reaction score
Some good news. Ford is stepping up and replacing the transmission. I should have the truck back on Friday.