2019 transmission overheating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bvlaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2019 with 28,000 miles. Occasional harsh shifting. Dealer disassembled the valve body and found the 3-4 shift binding in the bore. Replaced the main control body. Transmission fluid was also flushed.

Upon return, transmission shifted smoother but then the transmission started overheating, accompanied by really harsh shifting, after about 30 miles on the highway. Dealer changed out the trans fluid heater control valve but still overheating. They pulled the pan and found metal shavings coming from the torque converter and burned trans fluid.

Ford authorized replacing the transmission. Dealer returns truck to me, states they drove it 60 miles on the highway and all good. I immediately go to highway to see for myself and transmission gets to 231 and climbing within the first 5 miles and shifting really harshly. I exit highway and take it back to the dealer and there is transmission fluid everywhere underneath the vehicle.

Dealer opens case with Ford and Ford engineer gets involved. The engineer wants the dealer to replace the transmission cooler and lines, which I don't think will make any difference. Currently waiting on those parts.

I've literally been without my truck for the past two months while dealer has attempted to fix issue. And now to make matters worse, some lowlifes stole my wheels and tires while it sat in the dealer's lot over the weekend (after the dealer said they would be sure to keep it parked inside over the weekend).

Any suggestions, especially from @FordTechOne, very much appreciated.

Attachments

• HtdccONpR26gHJzfuFh%SA.jpg
    HtdccONpR26gHJzfuFh%SA.jpg
    345.4 KB · Views: 31

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
First off, the dealer FU CK ED up by not replacing the tranny cooler, etc when metal shavings were found circulating. What a gong show, and to top it off your baby gets vandalized, I'm speechless.

OP
OP
B

bvlaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off, the dealer FU CK ED up by not replacing the tranny cooler, etc when metal shavings were found circulating. What a gong show, and to top it off your baby gets vandalized, I'm speechless.
I agree 100% with your assessment. I mentioned to the dealer that replacing the trans cooler and lines now will just start the cycle all over again as I'm almost sure there are metal shavings in the new transmission. Dealer said they have to do what Ford tells them to do. I think they should replace the transmission again, along with a new cooler and lines. I asked the dealer to have the engineer call me to discuss and they ignored my request.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I agree 100% with your assessment. I mentioned to the dealer that replacing the trans cooler and lines now will just start the cycle all over again as I'm almost sure there are metal shavings in the new transmission. Dealer said they have to do what Ford tells them to do. I think they should replace the transmission again, along with a new cooler and lines. I asked the dealer to have the engineer call me to discuss and they ignored my request.
The transmission cooler and lines do not require replacement; they can be flushed. Ford requires all dealers to have the Rotunda heated cooler/line flush machine. I would contact them and confirm that the components were flushed; if so there’s nothing to worry about.

As far as the overheat and fluid venting, that’s caused by overfilling the transmission. These transmissions are very sensitive to fluid level; obviously the dealer did not follow the fluid fill/level check.

OP
OP
B

bvlaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The transmission cooler and lines do not require replacement; they can be flushed. Ford requires all dealers to have the Rotunda heated cooler/line flush machine. I would contact them and confirm that the components were flushed; if so there’s nothing to worry about.

As far as the overheat and fluid venting, that’s caused by overfilling the transmission. These transmissions are very sensitive to fluid level; obviously the dealer did not follow the fluid fill/level check.
Thanks for the response. Dealer claims they flushed the cooler and lines, but that was only after I forwarded to them a previous post from you in another thread, indicating that if the cooler and lines aren't flushed after transmission replacement that the new transmission would just become infected with metal shavings from the cooler and lines, creating problems in the new transmission. The repair order for the new transmission does not mention them having flushed the cooler or lines.

Dealer said they will drop the pan to look for metal shavings before installing new cooler and lines. I just want my truck fixed......

OP
OP
B

bvlaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: Dealer replaced the transmission cooler and cooler lines and it seems to have solved the issue. I’ve driven approximately 250 miles on the highway and the transmission hasn’t gotten hotter than 194 and is usually at 190 or 188. Time will tell but right now I’m pleased and loving my Raptor again!!