GEN 2 2019 Transmission Failure after service

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Bubbasuwannee

Bubbasuwannee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only thing they messed with was the pan. If it’s not leaking from the pan, it’s most likely venting fluid. Which is caused by the transmission being overfilled or overheating, and your readings verify it’s not the latter.

Would an overfill situation cause the transmission to jump/slip while cruising in 10th at 75mph? The whole thing is really weird...worked fine for 1k+ miles, then had the exact same scenario except only a drip of fluid coming out.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Would an overfill situation cause the transmission to jump/slip while cruising in 10th at 75mph? The whole thing is really weird...worked fine for 1k+ miles, then had the exact same scenario except only a drip of fluid coming out.
Yes; if the fluid is overfilled it will become aerated, which can cause shift concerns including slipping/harsh engagements.

OP
OP
Bubbasuwannee

Bubbasuwannee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes; if the fluid is overfilled it will become aerated, which can cause shift concerns including slipping/harsh engagements.

thanks for the help! Then that would make perfect sense as to what I’ve been encountering. I m on low the fluid expands a ton with higher temps. No issues when the temp is sub 200, but I have issues above that.

F100Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
impossible for pan gasket to fail.

They most likely did not use the proper fluid when changed. 10R80 gotta have ULV fluid and nothing else.
Some of the trans cases are porous causing leaks.

bvlaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2019 is doing pretty much the same thing as the OP. When driven on the highway, approximately 30 miles into the trip, the transmission temp goes from 192 to 228 in approximately 5 minutes. Transmission shifts extremely harsh at the high temps and transmission won’t cool down unless I pull over and let it idle or drop speeds down to 45-50 mph. This all started after I took it to the dealer for harsh shifting and they replaced the main valve body (my understanding) of the transmission and performed a transmission fluid flush at my request (I believe in early maintenance but may have been a huge mistake…..). Waiting for the dealer to call me back to schedule the truck to get back in.

Dirtypope

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So for the transmission oil fluid how often would you recommend to change it….? or should I change it at all? Every car that I owned never changed a transmission fluid and never had any issues

FordPerf Addict

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Let this be a warning to others. Don't have your transmission "serviced" until the book calls for it. Even then...think long and hard.

There is nothing like a factory seal or factory tight.
do you think a service at 60,000 with quite a bit off offroading is too soon? my truck still runs fine but i was contemplating a trans fluid change at this point in time