GEN 2 2019 Transmission Failure after service

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bubbasuwannee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had our 2019 at the dealer just under 35K miles for a leaking(cracked) driver's side valve cover replacement(which they forgot to re-install the fill tube on the new valve cover). Had them change my oil/filter as well as the transmission fluid/filter. We do drive our raptor fairly hard and do a good bit of towing, so I do most the maintenance much early. I had planned on doing the transmission service myself, but it was cheap enough to just have them do it since I had already purchased the fluid and filter.

Our first trip 2 days after picking it up was a short 30 mile drive with the last 5-7 miles up on the highway. I started having slipping/surging while in 10th gear at around 70mph. A few miles later, we were able to stop. Transmission temps were around 220 degrees and fluid was pouring out under the transmission. I have no clue where the fluid was coming from, but my assumption is from the pan/pan gasket.

After a tow to the dealer, they gave me a loaner(base model Ford edge), but won't be able to look at it until Monday afternoon.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Had our 2019 at the dealer just under 35K miles for a leaking(cracked) driver's side valve cover replacement(which they forgot to re-install the fill tube on the new valve cover). Had them change my oil/filter as well as the transmission fluid/filter. We do drive our raptor fairly hard and do a good bit of towing, so I do most the maintenance much early. I had planned on doing the transmission service myself, but it was cheap enough to just have them do it since I had already purchased the fluid and filter.

Our first trip 2 days after picking it up was a short 30 mile drive with the last 5-7 miles up on the highway. I started having slipping/surging while in 10th gear at around 70mph. A few miles later, we were able to stop. Transmission temps were around 220 degrees and fluid was pouring out under the transmission. I have no clue where the fluid was coming from, but my assumption is from the pan/pan gasket.

After a tow to the dealer, they gave me a loaner(base model Ford edge), but won't be able to look at it until Monday afternoon.

man that's just disheartening.
It sounds like you got stopped before causing permanent damage though.

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You didn't get a flush? Those are no Bueno. I usually get pan drop and filter every 25000.previous trucks. Never had issues. Dealership did something wrong maybe overfill? I have a 19 also but only 11000 miles on clock

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That sucks, man it would be hard to take it back to the same dealer after that, but you're stuck between a rock and a hard place. Hope they admit fault and get you fixed up correctly. Stay on top of things with the S/A and be proactive with your approach, not a ****. (not saying you would). Keep us posted. bro.

OP
OP
Bubbasuwannee

Bubbasuwannee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You didn't get a flush? Those are no Bueno. I usually get pan drop and filter every 25000.previous trucks. Never had issues. Dealership did something wrong maybe overfill? I have a 19 also but only 11000 miles on clock

Not a flush, just pan drop. They only used 8 quarts of the case I brought them. They definitely messed something up.

OP
OP
Bubbasuwannee

Bubbasuwannee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sucks, man it would be hard to take it back to the same dealer after that, but you're stuck between a rock and a hard place. Hope they admit fault and get you fixed up correctly. Stay on top of things with the S/A and be proactive with your approach, not a ****. (not saying you would). Keep us posted. bro.

Yea I was polite. I've had the truck in for numerous things since early Summer and have been dealing with the same service advisor. She's super nice, but can't control what the techs do or don't do as far as attention to detail.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like they may have overfilled it. If they just dumped 8 quarts in and didn’t verify the level, it is probably incorrect. Here’s the procedure:

Filling

NOTICE: This procedure is NOT intended for use with the transmission fluid level check.

NOTICE: The vehicle should not be driven if the transmission fluid level is low, internal failure could result.

NOTICE: Using any transmission fluid other than what is specified can result in the transmission not operating normally or premature transmission failure.

NOTE: Check the transmission fluid level if the transmission starts to slip, shifts slowly or shows signs of transmission fluid leaking.

NOTE:

• Adding 4.8L (5 qt) of transmission fluid is an initial fill enabling the engine to be started.

• Filling the transmission to the transmission fluid level indicator area below the crosshatch mark allows the vehicle to be driven.

• Drive the vehicle to allow the transmission fluid temperature to reach 96ºC - 101ºC (206ºF - 215ºF) in order to purge the air from the transmission fluid cooling system.

• Fill the transmission fluid to the fill range on the transmission fluid level indicator at the normal operating temperature 96ºC - 101ºC (206ºF - 215ºF).

Last edited:

scary gary

Reaction score
Man good luck. I had mine serviced. They recommended a flush and it destroyed my transmission. I’ve been dealing with it for going on 5 months. The dealership did replace the transmission with there own money not warranty. I’ve been threw hell because of what they recommended. After they replaced the transmission I continued to have shifting/ slipping issues and it always would leak a small amount. At times it would puke out quarts. Finally went to another dealership well after they told me they can no longer help me. I’ve been driving it about a month now with no issues. thanks to FordTechOne for all his help or I would of been out big time. Especially because they tried to push it threw warranty and warranty denied the claim due to 37s. Pretty shady of the dealership to not follow protocol then honor to fix it but first tried warranty.
glad I’m now going to a new dealership.

OP
OP
Bubbasuwannee

Bubbasuwannee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I heard back from the dealer late today. They said the pan gasket failed. They ordered a new pan and gasket. Should be done end of day Wednesday. will have to run it pretty good to see if there's any issues.