2019 Tailgate swap issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stukie

Reaction score
New to forum so I'll try my best to explain issue correctly. I purchased a new '19 in Oxford White color yesterday, 802A package. This truck has the tailgate with the applique and step, but I wanted one without the applique. The dealer happened to have another Oxford White '19 without the applique (no step) on the lot and said he'd just swap the tailgates out. Ok, great, good to go!

So I just got a call from the sales manager who talked to the service/parts department, and they are saying you cannot swap tailgates between trucks as the remote key fob will not work
/unlock the new swapped tailgate. Huh? This makes no sense to me. They are still working on solving problem but it seems a little crazy this is a problem. Lots of discussions here on swapping tailgates and I couldn't find any strings discussing remote key fob connection issues.

Any feedback truly appreciated!

Terry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Goes to prove things aren't always as easy as they seem. Many auto parts now have the vehicle's VIN stamped into them so they can be identified if the vehicle is stolen and then parted out by the thieves. I'm pretty sure tailgates do have the VIN stamped into them. It's a little awkward not to have the correct VIN on all vehicle parts if it's ever closely scrutinized by law enforcement. One would think the remote problem could be solved by programming or by switching out the tailgate handles where the electronics are most likely stored. Let us know how things turn out.

Derail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dealer is mistaken. Mine has been swapped. No issues.

The only problem would be for them on the donor vehicle. The window sticker would indicate what type tailgate should be on that vehicle. I am pretty sure that is what happened to my truck. The window sticker indicated my truck was built with a tailgate step. It did not have a tailgate step. They took the tailgate, with step, off another raptor, same color, also new, and put it on mine.

There is a small bracket on the body of your truck that keeps the tailgate from moving side to side that they will need to transfer as well. Along with the left side pivot, it has a tortion bar in the tailgate with the step.

The FOB does not have any coding for the tailgate, that is in the BCM of the truck. Nothing but power going to release the tailgate. And yes my tailgate locks.

OP
OP
S

stukie

Reaction score
Dealer informed they were trying to put a '20 tailgate on my '19 bed and saying that was the issue....still seems a little fishy. I decided to look for other '19s that are configured the way I like, thanks for everyone's input.

dreys

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your dealer is not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Remote tailgate is controlled by a module inside the truck, not in the tailgate. The module does a very simple operation, on or off.

Think about it this way, you have hood release. Will your hood release work if you swap hood? It certainly will, and same goes with tailgate release.

Last edited:

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
You don't want the applique? I would live with it for a little while and see if you change your mind. I think it looks great. When I bought, I was willing to take one without the applique and graphics but ended up with both. I really like them now.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I bet the salesman that made the promise had to come up with something pretty good..

Personally, i think they shouldnt have offered applique delete option.. it's like the grille.. unique and distinguishes the raptor from everthing else..looks cheap without it.

OP
OP
S

stukie

Reaction score
You don't want the applique? I would live with it for a little while and see if you change your mind. I think it looks great. When I bought, I was willing to take one without the applique and graphics but ended up with both. I really like them now.

Both the grill and applique are growing on me, just needed to look at them for awhile, so I will definitely consider!