2019 Suspension Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

RAG13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Instructors at Raptor assault asked the group "how many of you have the rear end kick out on bumps in normal everyday driving?". The majority of the class answered back w/ resounding yes and then they simply said, your PSI is too high in the rear.

We had a good discussion on tire psi. Here's my notes from the class:
-Raptors ship from factory at 48psi and should be aired down by the dealership upon delivery (which never happens)
-Ford procedure document state 36psi all around
-The instructors prefer 38f and 34r psi for normal driving
-Ford engineers prefer 34f/28r psi for off road driving WITH highway driving
-Ford engineers prefer 28f/22r psi for pure off road driving (no highway at all)
Just checked mine, 46 all around!! I will be lowering all today to 38 and see what happens. If I have to go a couple of pounds lower I will. Thanks for the info!!

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Talking about changing springs in a new Raptor is NUTS!

Check your tire pressure and lower the rear psi.

And if there is a problem, go to the dealership and have them look at it for free before you toss out perfectly good factory springs and spend a ton of coin on Deavers

Obscure

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't necessarily call the factory springs "perfectly good", but to each their own. Anyways, when I had my 2019, I switched out the stock springs for the Icon RXT leaf springs and it was night and day difference. As many others have said, being able to remove that rear block on the axle does wonders. You can lower the tire pressure and it will help, but mine still felt like the backend was jumping all over the place during rough patches before the Icons.

OriginalToken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Instructors at Raptor assault asked the group "how many of you have the rear end kick out on bumps in normal everyday driving?". The majority of the class answered back w/ resounding yes and then they simply said, your PSI is too high in the rear.

-Raptors ship from factory at 48psi and should be aired down by the dealership upon delivery (which never happens)
-Ford engineers prefer 28f/22r psi for pure off road driving (no highway at all)

Interesting, I arrived at 38F / 35R myself for all around driving with the original tires. With the 10 ply Load Range E tires I am down to 36F / 33R, and may try lower yet.

To the OP, I have owned many trucks over the years, and several of them have shown the same kick out tendencies, particularly with hard tires. My 2018 Raptor was very bad about this, until I found the dealer had left the tires at 48+ PSI all the way around. Once I dropped the pressures this kicking tamed right down. Don't get me wrong, it still does it very slightly, such as when going over railroad tracks, but it is quite in line with other trucks I have owned now.

T!

Loufish

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Talking about changing springs in a new Raptor is NUTS!
I know...it is sort of....not off roading your truck, then a spring change just for this issue is nuts...HOWEVER...some of us owners actually use their truck off road and the first sandwash I hit in 2wd resulted in a LOT of axle wrap!...some work arounds reduced that (lower tire pressure, use more 4wd)
I put most of the blame on the 2" blocks in the rear from the factory...

OP
OP
R

RAG13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting, I arrived at 38F / 35R myself for all around driving with the original tires. With the 10 ply Load Range E tires I am down to 36F / 33R, and may try lower yet.

To the OP, I have owned many trucks over the years, and several of them have shown the same kick out tendencies, particularly with hard tires. My 2018 Raptor was very bad about this, until I found the dealer had left the tires at 48+ PSI all the way around. Once I dropped the pressures this kicking tamed right down. Don't get me wrong, it still does it very slightly, such as when going over railroad tracks, but it is quite in line with other trucks I have owned now.

T!
Thank you, I lowered all tires to 38 and the ride is much better. I'm going to lower to 36 and see if it improves any more. At 38 its about 60% better than when it was at 46!!

Carlos M

Full Access Member
Reaction score

thanks for sharing. this should help. I thought I was going crazy.
Scary experience when you are hitting 70mph and you feel the rear kick out to the sides.

Krillin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i had mine at 42 psi, and just lowered to 39 psi today, night and day difference, but i also felt that it was a bit slower ... or might just be in my head i guess ill drop it to 38/34 see how that goes

OP
OP
R

RAG13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i had mine at 42 psi, and just lowered to 39 psi today, night and day difference, but i also felt that it was a bit slower ... or might just be in my head i guess ill drop it to 38/34 see how that goes
I agree with the feeling slower issue! Might be in my head too.