2019 Raptor using 1 qt oil every 1000 miles; leaking cylinders

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm not sure, but I think it was 8/2/2019. At least, at the bottom of the window sticker, below the MSRP and the note about Ford Credit, there is a box with numbers in it, the last of which is "08 02 19." Does that seem right?
Ok so you already have the updated valve covers. How often do you change you oil? Oil level should be checked monthly.

It sounds like the engine may have already been damaged due to running low on oil as a result of the previous PCM calibration, which is why the dealer performed the update. Unfortunately a preventative repair cannot fix damage that has already been done.

OP
OP
D

drmdwebb

Reaction score
UPDATE:

First, I did all oil changes ahead of schedule. The change before last was when the first shortage showed up, and that was less than 5000 miles. They did the reprogramming then, but that didn't help as stated above. I noticed it was low 2000 miles after that oil change and took it in and now here we are.

I talked to the dealership. Ford has told them to re-ring the cylinders and rebuild it. They say it will take a week to get parts and do the work. We'll see about that. I sure hope that's the right thing to do.

I'm also worried about damage in other parts of the engine that may not show up right away. Also, what's going to happen in the cats since about 5-6 quarts of oil went through the exhaust?

They let me take some pictures:

IMG_4139.jpeg

IMG_4140.jpeg

IMG_4141.jpeg

MurderedOutSVT

Brodozin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good luck, hope that solves the problem, bit you might be onto something with clogged up cats

Trailmaker

Off-road junky
Supporting Member
Reaction score
UPDATE:

First, I did all oil changes ahead of schedule. The change before last was when the first shortage showed up, and that was less than 5000 miles. They did the reprogramming then, but that didn't help as stated above. I noticed it was low 2000 miles after that oil change and took it in and now here we are.

I talked to the dealership. Ford has told them to re-ring the cylinders and rebuild it. They say it will take a week to get parts and do the work. We'll see about that. I sure hope that's the right thing to do.

I'm also worried about damage in other parts of the engine that may not show up right away. Also, what's going to happen in the cats since about 5-6 quarts of oil went through the exhaust?

They let me take some pictures:

View attachment 360398

View attachment 360399

View attachment 360400
If it wasn’t an aluminum block, this is been a perfect time bore it out. Make it a ~3.8liter
My truck burns about a qt every 5k so I use Lucas oil treatment now. And I don’t seem to burn anymore. I know that turbo chargers always use a little bit of oil but mine started to use a little more at 90k when it when on for the cam phaser update till 105k when I started Lucas. Now I’m at 115k.
Your truck must blow smoke when you get on it at the rate you were burning oil?!
Hopefully the work done today will extend you Raptors life. Back in the day, one had to get on it after the break in period, to “set the rings” well I like to “set the rings” from time to time! Haha

toolmanglenn

Reaction score
New member here. I have a 2019 short bed Raptor. I bought it new. I've followed all maintenance guidelines, and haven't done anything to the truck except replace the radio antenna with a stubby.

Before my 15k oil change, I noticed that the truck was low on oil. Turns out it had burned 1 qt of oil every 1000 miles. They said it was some kind of problem computer problem and reprogrammed it. Fast forward 2000 miles, and I check the oil, and it's low again. Took it in again, same story. This time, Ford told them to scope the motor; they did and said I had leaking oil seals around the valve pushers. They ordered parts and when the parts came in, they took it apart and now they are saying that two of the cylinders are leaking (bad rings?) and they are now waiting to hear from Ford what to do next.

I've looked online for similar stories, but didn't find any. Has anybody on this forum seen this before? I seem to think that I should get a new engine out of this problem, but would be curious to hear what you people think.

All work is being done at the dealership where I bought it.
Had a similar issue. One night I stepped on it to see the acceleration and after we got going the engine went into a safety mode and idled down. Pulled over and checked the oil. Nothing on the dipstick. Let it cool down for 20 minutes and restarted it. Limped it home for 30 minutes.
Dealer said there is a Service Bulliten out that , depending on date of manufacture, the engine needs new valve covers. I couldn’t quite wrap my head around this but what choice did I have. After changing valve covers, all is good !!!

Trailmaker

Off-road junky
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had a similar issue. One night I stepped on it to see the acceleration and after we got going the engine went into a safety mode and idled down. Pulled over and checked the oil. Nothing on the dipstick. Let it cool down for 20 minutes and restarted it. Limped it home for 30 minutes.
Dealer said there is a Service Bulliten out that , depending on date of manufacture, the engine needs new valve covers. I couldn’t quite wrap my head around this but what choice did I have. After changing valve covers, all is good !!!
So you were dripping oil?