2019 Raptor - Steering Wheel Holster

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NovagatorCFA

Reaction score
This is probably better served in another sub-forum on this site, but figured I'd kick things off here due to all of the help I've gotten over the past few weeks.

I'm looking to procure a new carry holster (preference is for under the steering wheel) for the new truck.

Can anybody recommend a great product they're using for their Raptor? I can't seem to find any clear / concise reviews online as it appears to vary drastically, depending on the make and model. Not sure if there would be a big difference between Gen1 and Gen2...

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
With profound apologies for the thread-jack in advance ....

If you’re going to hard mount a pistol holder, or for that matter a long gun rack, just as anything you do with a firearm, the 3 rules still - and always apply.

Now, in consideration of this, when you draw from this under the steering wheel holster, how does this not violate rule #1? Asked more succinctly, are you willing to sacrifice anything north of that holster, like... say, your lower legs or feet?

Additional apologies for getting preachy here, but vehicle borne firearm engagements are chaotic, problematic and complicated. You are almost always behind the OODA loop and you need to have things simple and basic so that the minimum amount of critical thinking is required for you to safely and successfully access your firearm and put it to its appropriate use. Once complete, you need to be able to again safely and successfully re-holster. All of this may need to be done under the stress of an actual attack, or emergent situation.

If it’s not clear by now, I don’t favor vehicle mount points for handguns because most of them don’t properly secure the gun against the forces that could be encountered in a roll over, or collision. I’ve seen far too many pics of a hacked fobus paddle holster, drywall screwed to glove boxes for my comfort.

don’t plan for the ride, plan for the crash. A lot of us here have ‘fast’ vehicles. When you take those tools to the track, anything that can be a projectile in a crash is forbidden; you either secure it, or remove it. Off roading requires the same precautions, but the reality is we need to think about this on road as well. If you’re in a serious collision, will the holster assembly hold the fully loaded gun? Most retention holsters are pretty secure against a human based disarm attempt, but traffic collisions can amplify this force several factors. So while I’m not ruling out a vehicle ‘hard mount’ for a firearm, I’m generally skeptical until I can both lay eyes on it and validate that I can access and safely use it from that mount point.

What I’ve seen a few times here are ram mounts securing a holster to the center console via screws. I’ve not used one, but with a good retention holster, these could be ok. Else, the gun should be on your body, under your direct control because if a bad actor gets your gun, police rules apply; they’ll likely use it on you.

I’d recommend that you either use a blue gun or, disassemble the carry handgun you’re planning on holstering, and using ONLY the frame, practice your potential draw stroke for likely engagements. I find steering wheel mount points problematic, I like walking without a limp. You could potentially either door mount or center console mount, provided you have a secure enough mount point and holster and be able to engage 180 degrees without violating rule number 1. The operative word being ‘potentially’. This takes thought and practice that a lot of gun owners don’t give full credit to, until some trainer introduces us to how much we really don’t or didn’t know.

Here are some considerations in respect of rule #1

right handed draw facing a 9-11 o’clock target:
-belt off; 2 hands to the seat belt buckle, support hand to guide the belt to it’s rest, while getting to the gun with the right hand. If you’ve got a cover garment in the way, DON’T overcomplicate this, get your support hand back to the cover garment and clear the gun of the cover, then commence the draw stroke. Draw, index to 12 o’clock away from you or passengers, bring the support hand to the gun and guide the gun over the circumference of the steering wheel away from your lower body, turn and index to the target and deal with whatever threat or threats are present.

left hand draw, 9-11 o’clock, many similarities, get the belt off / free, and if the target is accessible with the strong hand, use your best judgement. If not, you may need to transition to your support hand, which hopefully you’ve practiced with because now is not the time to discover you are lacking in this skill set.

Things only get more complicated from here, if you’re facing a threat from 1-3 o’clock. If you’ve got a non combatant passenger, and this is the absolute last resort, you have an obligation to that passenger’s safety even if they’re not kin, friend or acquaintance. Again, if you haven’t practiced this, the chances of mistakes are high and the consequences of mistakes can be fatal.

good luck!

MEATSWORD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As someone that has been in that situation I 1000% agree with smurfslayer, keep it simple. stupid and practice

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@smurfslayer and i thought you only had strong thoughts on Sasquatch hunting :)

makes total sense to me. part ff why i rarely bring my guy with me not locked in a safe.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@smurfslayer provided a sage response. I'll add that your truck can't shoot. The instant you get out of your truck to do anything - pump gas, go to the bathroom, shop, etc. - you are unarmed. And you have a weapon security problem on top of that. Sounds obvious, but a simple and common scenario illustrates the point.

You're on the road away from home and pull into a busy gas station next to the Interstate. You're out of the vehicle, at the pump, and have your wallet out to swipe your credit card, and you are approached by two young men who say they're out of money and gas and are looking to you to solve their little problem. Your handgun is ten or twelve feet away and they've got you bracketed - there is one on either side of you, the pump is in front of you, and your truck is behind you. What good is your handgun now?

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@smurfslayer

You're on the road away from home and pull into a busy gas station next to the Interstate. You're out of the vehicle, at the pump, and have your wallet out to swipe your credit card, and you are approached by two young men who say they're out of money and gas and are looking to you to solve their little problem. Your handgun is ten or twelve feet away and they've got you bracketed - there is one on either side of you, the pump is in front of you, and your truck is behind you. What good is your handgun now?

You go all ZOOLANDER on them and spray gasoline on them to the tune of JITTERBUG!!!!!!

But in all seriousness.....2am in Mississippi off interstate 55 getting gas...is when i realized this lesson. had my glock in my center console.....but i was out of the car......shady folks pulled up..... thankfully my wife is competent with a fire arm and knew to arm her self....just in case....

they walked up on me, just begging....but it could have been worse......now when i do bring my gun...it is on my person any time i leave the vehicle.