2019 Raptor.. Dead?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Carah

Reaction score
I've read some threads outlining similar issues with some details left out. Here's my problem (go easy, I love my Fords but I'm no mechanic):

I recently got a 2019 Raptor, 41,000 miles. Drove perfectly for the ride home (300 miles) and worked perfectly up until I was about to go on a long trip. It was sitting for about 2 weeks, give or take. When I went to start it, nothing. Stone dead. No lights, accessories, and no effort to start. Remote start obviously didn't work either, and it did not lock with the fob.

The trip was urgent so I took a separate vehicle, figuring I'd deal with it when I get home (Ford dealers here are extremely backed up). Come home about a week later and I try starting it again, boom. Starts right up and runs great. I let it sit for awhile, and it's dead again. Ok, I leave it and get an appointment set up (not for several weeks). For the heck of it, I tried starting it remotely last week, and it started right up. I remotely started it several times (it was 10 below). After the 4th cycle I went out and started it manually. It worked, so I took it for a short drive through town. Everything was perfect.. again. Until the next day.

Tried starting it the next day, and although all accessories worked, the engine made no effort to turn over. Message on entertainment screen said something along the lines of, "Power saving mode. Turn off or start vehicle." Battery symbol on dash. It was that way all week until just a few hours ago, when I threw a battery charger on it with jump start mode, and, although labored, it started. I checked all gauges and all accessories; nothing was amiss and there were no notifications on the screen. Voltage said 15V. I watched it stay at 15V while I turned on/off all accessories and drove it a short distance. Turned truck off, waited for a few minutes, started it again. Started right up, but voltage was now 14.5V while I repeated the same process. Unsure if this is significant, or if it means the battery is dying (?)

I have an appointment with local Ford dealer that's upcoming in a few weeks, but I'm wondering if anyone can shed any insight on what could be happening to it. Does it sound like a battery issue to you vehicle-savvy people?

Tia

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Welcome to FRF. Pictures, or you really have a prius.

I recently got a 2019 Raptor, 41,000 miles
Was this sourced from a stealership, on a trade perhaps, or a private sale?
Unsure if this is significant, or if it means the battery is dying (?)
You’ve definitely got some kind of charging issue going on. While the first place to look might be the battery, it may be worth a few questions

- is the truck modified? any accessories added, possibly adding to or creating a parasitic draw?
- When you shut the truck down, if you check about an hour or so later, are all the interior lights off?
- Do you have FORSCAN? https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/forscan-changes-tweak-your-truck.52149/

It allows you to modify a lot of options on the truck, pull diagnostic codes (DTC) and clear them.

If you have it you could check for DTCs via FORSCAN. Also, you should check to see if someone previously modified via FORSCAN and disabled the Battery Management System (BMS). There is a common mod to disable auto stop/start for the Kicker sub option, but this disables BMS, which isn’t ideal.

- does the truck have a new-ish battery or is it the stocker? it’s not that old, but it’s possible it’s going out. Or, it could have been replaced and the BMS not reset.

- have you checked for loose connections; possibly battery cables or chassis ground? That, or corrosion.

OP
OP
C

Carah

Reaction score
Welcome to FRF. Pictures, or you really have a prius.

Was this sourced from a stealership, on a trade perhaps, or a private sale?

You’ve definitely got some kind of charging issue going on. While the first place to look might be the battery, it may be worth a few questions

- is the truck modified? any accessories added, possibly adding to or creating a parasitic draw?
- When you shut the truck down, if you check about an hour or so later, are all the interior lights off?
- Do you have FORSCAN? https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/forscan-changes-tweak-your-truck.52149/

It allows you to modify a lot of options on the truck, pull diagnostic codes (DTC) and clear them.

If you have it you could check for DTCs via FORSCAN. Also, you should check to see if someone previously modified via FORSCAN and disabled the Battery Management System (BMS). There is a common mod to disable auto stop/start for the Kicker sub option, but this disables BMS, which isn’t ideal.

- does the truck have a new-ish battery or is it the stocker? it’s not that old, but it’s possible it’s going out. Or, it could have been replaced and the BMS not reset.

- have you checked for loose connections; possibly battery cables or chassis ground? That, or corrosion.
Attached is the sad picture of it being charged yesterday, lol.

I started it this morning and it's functioning like nothing was wrong, but I did receive a notification from FordPass this morning (attached).

Purchased from a Ford dealership. It was a Lemon Law vehicle in CA, but for unrelated issues to what's happening now (engine rattle on start, found it to be an issue in the turbo which dealership replaced with no further issue). The dealership did not make note of anything extraordinary about it otherwise

As far as aftermarket accessories, the only ones are a few small LED lights on the back bumper. The engine is extremely clean and the battery does not have corrosion, etc on it. Yesterday after charging and throwing the battery charger into jump start mode, the Raptor quite literally roared to life, and has worked fine since then. We tried it a few more times after having let it run for awhile, and it worked fine every time. No weird noises and no dash notifications. Just the FordPass notification this morning.

I have an appointment with local Ford dealer tomorrow. Hopefully just the battery.

I'll definitely check out FORSCAN. Never heard of it.

Thank you so much!

Attachments

• Snapchat-958202457.jpg
    Snapchat-958202457.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 49
  • Screenshot_20221227_085256_FordPass.jpg
    Screenshot_20221227_085256_FordPass.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 50

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Yeah, deep sleep mode disables remote start, IIRC until you physically start the truck. You may also notice the passenger side door handle may not unlock using the smart access method, another indicator that your charge is low.

In your climate, it’s doubtful auto stop/start would ever function in winter, but the main menu on the dash will show why it doesn’t function.

Good luck!

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You forgot yo mention the sub zero temps and massive snow storm lol. You’re batt is dead, it was a lemon law vehicle and probably just sat for
God Knows how long…. Charge it up. Use a voltge meter and see if on a full charge it holds 12.6-13.1 volts or take it to get load tested at auto zone. Next, look up the batt part # . Get an AGM batt new, google it first to check price to make sure you aren't getting ripped off by dealer. If he is charging too much just order it and put it in yourself or ask to price match. This should fix everything. After that look up Flood Ford and slap an ESP on that bitch.

HighwaySentinel

︻デ┳═ー - - - - - - -
Reaction score
You forgot yo mention the sub zero temps and massive snow storm lol. You’re batt is dead, it was a lemon law vehicle and probably just sat for
God Knows how long…. Charge it up. Use a voltge meter and see if on a full charge it holds 12.6-13.1 volts or take it to get load tested at auto zone. Next, look up the batt part # . Get an AGM batt new, google it first to check price to make sure you aren't getting ripped off by dealer. If he is charging too much just order it and put it in yourself or ask to price match. This should fix everything. After that look up Flood Ford and slap an ESP on that bitch.

This all makes sense, but the OP said all of this.....

When I went to start it, nothing. Stone dead. No lights, accessories, and no effort to start. Remote start obviously didn't work either, and it did not lock with the fob.

The trip was urgent so I took a separate vehicle, figuring I'd deal with it when I get home (Ford dealers here are extremely backed up). Come home about a week later and I try starting it again, boom. Starts right up and runs great. I let it sit for awhile, and it's dead again. Ok, I leave it and get an appointment set up (not for several weeks). For the heck of it, I tried starting it remotely last week, and it started right up. I remotely started it several times (it was 10 below). After the 4th cycle I went out and started it manually. It worked, so I took it for a short drive through town. Everything was perfect.. again. Until the next day.

Seems to me that once the battery is dead, letting it sit for a week does not normally charge it. Sounds more like an electronics issue. Hopefully the dealership can figure it out. Second that advice on the Flood Ford ESP.

OP
OP
C

Carah

Reaction score
I did mention it was 10 below when I started it after my long trip, and that's when it started fine. It sat for approximately 1.5 weeks while I was gone. It's 12 F here now and I've been driving it on and off all day.

I've had many F150s and never had this issue, even at 40 below, so it's weird to me! I'll report back tomorrow after it's appointment.

I have a lot to learn about it and will spend some time researching what you and other commenters mentioned :)

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Depending on truck manufacture date the battery could be 4 years old. I would just get a new one before messing with the dealer. I hate Walmart, but we did have to get a battery from them last week for the 2010. It was $97 when purchased online vs. 150 in the store for same battery. FYI.

Funny thing, the reverse cam started working after the new battery. It quit working months ago. That was nice.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I Thought the "deep sleep" issue was 2021+ superduty and F150.

Either way there may be a BCM update for this.