2019 Raptor as a Daily Driver

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnkn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Greetings, first post. My last 4 daily drivers have been Expeditions, current Expedition is a black Platinum with CCD and 5* tune. It has been flawless. I actually have a 2019 Platinum Expedition on order. My needs have changed somewhat, recently purchased my wife a new Platinum Explorer so we have a SUV in the family. Children are grown and out of the house, 99.5% of the 18k miles I put on my Expedition annually are alone. I've been thinking about Raptors and my dealership has a 2019 with the equipment I want inbound. To be transparent, this will very seldom go off-road. Help me to understand the road manors at highway speeds compared to something like an Expedition? Tire noise with the BFGs? Comfort on the highway? I will likely limit my changes to different wheels (~stock size tires), lighting, etc.. I fully understand where a Raptor really shines, but considering a DD change. I'll start diving into the forum and learn what I can about them. In terms of pricing, what am I likely looking at for a new 2019? ~MSRP? Again, i'll start diving in here to learn. All comments appreciated! thanks

Last edited:

JohnnyBGood

Reaction score
Just bought a 2018 SCREW. My previous truck was a 2014 Ram Laramie with Air Suspension.

The Raptor overall is similar in ride quality to the RAM.

IMHO, it will be a tiny bit harsher than your Expedition.

But tons more fun.

JohnnyB

Blown00gt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I came from an Avalanche and it was smoother then the Raptor. As just stated, the raptor will be a little bumpier in the rear however the truck feels solid. Highway feels great and what I like when you hit bumps or uneven dips you can feel the suspension glide over them and is more stable then other trucks. My biggest thing is my other trucks were transportation where this truck is just fun to drive every time I get in it. I don’t think you will regret getting the Raptor.

Jake17

★ REBEL LIFE ★
Reaction score
To be transparent, this will very seldom go off-road.
most never see dirt
not the greatest highway truck
just switched out to a Rebel 12...better interior & tech...much nicer as a daily driver...V8's a bonus

docskeet1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every time I press the pedal, it puts a smile on my face. I love my 2018. It is my daily driver. The road noise and ride with the stock tires is not bad IMHO. I like the way it feels at highway speeds. Take it out for a long test drive and see for yourself.

NE Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Blown00gt said it best - while most other trucks are just transportation, these are genuinely fun to drive. You will look for reasons to drive it and it will put a smile on your face. I dont know how well the expeditions ride, i am sure its nice - but these ride really well and you wont have to avoid bumps - you just go right over them.The suspension is amazing. Most of the luxury trucks ride nice too but add in 22s like most of them have and you get a little more harsh ride in my opinion. I dont think you will be upset.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
most never see dirt
not the greatest highway truck
just switched out to a Rebel 12...better interior & tech...much nicer as a daily driver...V8's a bonus

so what exactly did you hide from the dodge dealer on the trade in? You know, whatever it was you screwed up on the Raptor and didn’t tell anyone about publicly.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
@Blown00gt said it best - while most other trucks are just transportation, these are genuinely fun to drive. You will look for reasons to drive it and it will put a smile on your face. I dont know how well the expeditions ride, i am sure its nice - but these ride really well and you wont have to avoid bumps - you just go right over them.The suspension is amazing. Most of the luxury trucks ride nice too but add in 22s like most of them have and you get a little more harsh ride in my opinion. I dont think you will be upset.

What @NE Raptor said.

There are some quirks to the truck, but overall, it’s hoot to drive.
it was designed to be capable in the sand, and competent at other off-roading. It’s stable on a 30 degree incline at Raptor Assault, not sure I’d push it that far in the real world, but you’ve got over a foot of suspension travel. There’s a common taunt “if you hit it faster, it’ll smooth out” but there’s more than a bit of truth to it.

The Raptor has bigger tire and longer travel suspension. it is to trucks what a street going dirt bike is to a regular motorcycle. It handles differently, but not really worse. The Raptor suspension works when other more road going suspensions are ‘floating’. so, as a DD, you’re not using it for what it excels at, but it’s quite capable.

You need at least 6’8” of garage clearance and that’s for a single level garage, more if you need to go up / down levels.
Parking spaces are not made for Raptors.
Road manners are good, but it’s not a Lincoln Town Car.
NVH is really very good. the cab is well insulated and the stock tires are not intolerable.

mamula

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Greetings, first post. My last 4 daily drivers have been Expeditions, current Expedition is a black Platinum with CCD and 5* tune. It has been flawless. I actually have a 2019 Platinum Expedition on order. My needs have changed somewhat, recently purchased my wife a new Platinum Explorer so we have a SUV in the family. Children are grown and out of the house, 99.5% of the 18k miles I put on my Expedition annually are alone. I've been thinking about Raptors and my dealership has a 2019 with the equipment I want inbound. To be transparent, this will very seldom go off-road. Help me to understand the road manors at highway speeds compared to something like an Expedition? Tire noise with the BFGs? Comfort on the highway? I will likely limit my changes to different wheels (~stock size tires), lighting, etc.. I fully understand where a Raptor really shines, but considering a DD change. I'll start diving into the forum and learn what I can about them. In terms of pricing, what am I likely looking at for a new 2019? ~MSRP? Again, i'll start diving in here to learn. All comments appreciated! thanks
I don't plan on doing off Road on raptor, maybe 10 years later. Nothing wrong using it as a daily driver. That's what 70% of raptor buyers do. Don't feel threatened by the few minority that actually use it to game off road