2019 Raptor 8k miles dead cylinder, 2 misfires, p0304/p0316

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jgar14w

Reaction score
Hi All, I purchased a 2019 Raptor a few months ago with 6,500 miles on it. The previous owner installed a Roush CAI + Exhaust. The truck was running fine until a couple weeks back when I was on the highway traveling at about 80mph. I attempted to speed up when the truck started to violently shake and CEL started flashing (indicating a misfire). I pulled over immediately and had it towed back to the dealer. They hooked it up to the computer and told me it pulled up a P0304, P0316 codes. Performed power balance and found cylinder 4 to be "dead". Performed relative compression and found cylinder 4 down 11% with cylinder 6 down 1%

The tech was able to diagnose it and now waiting for direction from FORD on what they should do next. They mentioned they may have to rebuild the engine or Ford may ship a new engine but for now we're waiting on ford

Anyone here experience any issues somewhat related to this? I did have 1 oil change at the Ford dealership around 7200 miles

Last edited:

julien194b

Full Access Member
Reaction score
never like to read this type of post ! hope you will have that fixed soon ! and also why ??? problem with roush tune ?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Was 7200 miles the first oil change? Or had the oil been changed before that?

Any possibility the PO may have installed a tune?

OP
OP
J

Jgar14w

Reaction score
I am not sure. When I changed it at 7200 the ford app told me it still had like 40% of life. Completely unsure about the tune tbh

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi All, I purchased a 2019 Raptor a few months ago with 6,500 miles on it. The previous owner installed a Roush CAI + Exhaust. The truck was running fine for a couple months until a couple weeks back when I was on the highway traveling at about 80mph. I attempted to speed up when the truck started to violently shake and CEL started flashing (indicating a misfire). I pulled over immediately and had it towed back to the dealer. They hooked it up to the computer and told me it pulled up a P0304, P0316 codes. Performed power balance and found cylinder 4 to be "dead". Performed relative compression and found cylinder 4 down 11% with cylinder 6 down 1%

The truck has been at the dealer for over a month now. They finally had a tech that was able to diagnose it and now waiting for direction from FORD on what they should do next. They mentioned FORD may have them rebuild the engine OR they may ship a new engine but for now we're playing the waiting game

Anyone here experience any issues somewhat related to this? I did have 1 oil change at the Ford dealership around 7200 miles
You never know how hard the previous owner treated your Raptor. This isn't the trucks fault but the previous owners. Just don't blame FORD for this. It is still under warranty I hope.

TheC-Don

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a similar problem with mine around the same mileage. I think the dealership changed out coil packs and the problem was solved. No issues with compression on mine...

Drgrill

Reaction score
I have a Roush exhaust system on mine no problems just turned over 172,000 miles yesterday. I’ve never babyed it. Always ready for a street drag probably lost 99 times out of 100 to Ford mustangs.
You have to grow old,77,but you don’t have to grow up.
I’ve had much better luck racing tricked out diesel trucks.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
This would be a rare type of failure, but it sounds like Ford has it under review.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Have they actually diagnosed it or just said Eph it you need a motor.

For example, we just did timing chains on a 2011 eco-boost with 255,000 miles. It broke the right side secondary timing chain and was missing on all cylinders on the right bank.

Customer was offered a couple options and probably due to my encouragement he went for all new timing chain replacement.

Bill ended up close to $5k which of course is a good sum of money, but saved him over 5k on a motor.

When done we did a compression/cylinder leak down test and they passed with flying colors. It would not surprise me if he gets another 200,000 miles out of it, the way he maintains it.

That is something my shop kind of specializes in. Fixing motors others say should be replaced. Burnt valves and broken valve springs don't scare us.

If it is in the bottom end/short block then we push for replacement.