2019 or 2020? Also, question about putting money down.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skai

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm interested in picking a 2019 or a 2020. From what I've read there basically not much difference in 2019 and the 2020s besides some color options, but everything else is the same, correct?

In my area, 2019 are going from 4-7k off depending how far you want to drive, but not further than a few hours in any directions.

But a part of me wants to order a 2020 and just wait a few month for delivery and see how much I get off MSRP, and if it's close to 2019s I rather just wait and jump into a 2020.

One other thing, is it smart to put down a large chunk of cash like 10k-15k? I've always tend to put that down on my vehicles because I tend to buy a new one every 2-3 years so when I trade it in I'm not upside down and have equity towards my next. I usually do 60 month finance too and send in more money I owe monthly.

Thanks for your input guys.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
You never know what the future holds, so make sure that you get the vehicle you’ll be able to live with for 10 years or so. That way if you don’t keep it that long, so what?

If you end up compromising, you’ll be nagging at yourself all the time and it will eat at you. My wife had a really sour experience buying an SUV a few years back and as a result she always hated it. she drove it, and it was fairly convenient, though somewhat troublesome, I always heard about the buy. She got a good deal, but there ended up being some drama with the actual delivery, and it just went south from there.

so get what you want and you’ll be happy with.

I’m with you on the down payment. When you overreach financially you’re creating vulnerabilities for you down the road financially.

Chris Mies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will tell you from first hand experience that the wait on an order is BRUTAL!

With regards to down payment, you need to weigh your interest rate against the time value of money. My Raptor loan is my lowest interest rate of all my loans, so it is the last one I will pick off.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
One thing to consider is that the Raptor is a vehicle that you'll likely want to make aftermarket additions to. While agree with @smurfslayer that you don't want to have any regrets with your purchase making a purchase that you're happy with, knowing you've saved some that can now be applied as 'guilt free' upgrades to your truck...can be very satisfying.

I bought mine back in June. At the time, I was setting on getting new, but found a 2017 with 2k miles on it and all the upgrades I wanted, saving me about $15k. So now I can add $15k in aftermarket goodies to the truck without guilt. I'm not going to (not right now anyway), and that's not exact math when you factor in resale value, etc, but you get the point.

CNAIMO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have inquired at a few local dealers and i have 2 dealers that will sell at "Invoice" for a 2020 another will do "Invoice +500"

hope this helps

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
in regards to money down....it is all about how much you want your monthly payments to be.

OP
OP
Skai

Skai

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys!

Yea, part of me wants to just get the 2019 and know I'd get 5k off and get it this week, but the other part wants a 2020 pay a bit more and wait a few months, but also have a newer model year and when I do sell it later it has better resale value.

anothervr6kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally, I'd consider the 2020 since you plan on selling it in a few years. You'll always get more money on a 2020 vs 2019 when you look to sell it. I've been quoted invoice on a 2020 order, which was around 4500-5000 off MSRP (if I remember right). I'm the same way... I tend to keep things a couple years at most. I always think of resale when I buy something since historically I've always sold them.

My opinion on a down payment (based on how I see things)... if you can afford the truck at 100% finance, don't put any money down. The value of $10k will be less in 2 years than it is today. You'll also make more in a couple years. Money is cheap. You're better off being upside down $10k in 2 years than paying it up front. Since 2019 isn't over yet...
$10,000 in 2016 → $10,462.48 in 2018
$9,557.96 in 2016 → $10,000 in 2018
Based of off https://www.officialdata.org/ (not affiliated, used google to find it)

Peterb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A deposit can be difficult to recover if you change your mind on the 2020
A 2019 is coming close to being a year old vehicle which means it’s value will soon depreciate maybe $10k on top of the possible 3or4k$ discount however no dealer will sell at $13k off so 2020 discounted makes more sense

Winchester30

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Buy now, go to raptor assault, and enjoy it!
Driving a raptor is more fun than waiting for one!