2019 Mustang GT or 2019 Raptor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mandobomb

Reaction score
2019 Mustang GT or 2019 Raptor?

So here's my situation, I currently drive a paid off 2016 Tundra worth around $36k. I've been looking into buying a 2018 + Mustang GT as a toy for the past 2 years but with the car market being crazy I
can't justify spending over $39k on a toy. I have a $30k budget on one but since I can't find any mustangs in that range I was thinking of trading in my truck and just getting a 2018 + Raptor. If I trade in my truck and add my budget put on the mustang I could roughly spend $65k or so on a Raptor. I feel like this will fill the itch of driving something sporty while being as practical as my Tundra. Anyone else that have gone through this or have any advice, suggestions?

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
... I feel like this will fill the itch of driving something sporty while being as practical as my Tundra. Anyone else that have gone through this or have any advice, suggestions?
When it comes to sporty, the Raptor is in a different class. That's the "...for a truck" class. If that scratches your itch, fine, but don't get your expectations too high. A tall heavy vehicle has fundamental limits that you can't overcome.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Buuuuuuutttt once you get off road the Raptor can do some amazing stuff. The Rap is a great all purpose vehicle, possibly the best. Great range, ability to haul, tow -somewhat, reasonably quick for 5800 pounds, and you can negotiate quite a bit off road.

I’ve passively had my eyes open for an ‘18+ GT auto, but not seriously. But then I’ve also been eyeing Jen Too Raptors... would be nice to have a 2nd.

CruiserClass

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the majority of the past 25 years I've had both a 4x4 truck/SUV and a sports car/muscle car. IMO, the Raptor is sporty for a truck but in stock form is not going to be a patch on an actual sports car in terms of acceleration, braking, and handling. I was honestly a little underwhelmed by acceleration on test drives from setting my expectations high on the hype train. I'll be keeping my car when I get my next truck, Raptor or Tremor, and use them both for their main purpose.

If I wanted to have a sporty vehicle with a modicum of practicality and didn't intend to off road, a Porsche SUV would probably be where I'd start, or perhaps an Explorer ST if you're willing to mod a bit, if you don't need an open bed. Or keep your truck and if you aren't married to the idea of a Mustang you can get into a pretty nice C5 or C6 Corvette for under $30k and have a car that's definitely fast enough to be interesting and handles quite nicely, though you'll be down on tech compared to newer cars of course.

jondle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a dumb question. If you will actually off-road and use the Raptor for what it is made for, Raptor is the answer. Otherwise, Mustang is the answer.

Really @CruiserClass has the correct answer. For off-road, Raptor has one competitor (TRX) and Raptor is probably the correct choice. For sports car, Mustang has hundreds of competitors and limiting your search to a Mustang seems silly.

metalwhiz

Reaction score
Have had 2 different newer Mustangs recently, but always found myself jumping in the Raptor, so they are gone. Still have my 84 Mustang which I'll never get rid of.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a Raptor and bought the daughter a mustang (not GT) a year or so before she could drive. The mustang is way faster, better handling, etc than the Raptor. I enjoyed driving the mustang for a while, but it got old after a while. It's cramped in there and just not for me. Raptor is more fun for me.

To be fair though, the purple fuzzy steering wheel cover my daughter put on may have an impact on my opinion.

Rocky B

Reaction score
I had a similar choice. I was contemplating buying a Mustang Mach I or a Bronco. Then my truck was totaled. So I bought a Raptor, best of all worlds. I have come to enjoy off reading. I still have my Shelby to satisfy my need for speed.