2019 LTE HOT SPOT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
ddpt

ddpt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ended up purchasing. I noticed my cell phone connects much faster to the internet

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

BIGDJE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have at&t unlimited so cost me $20 per month and my 4g hot spot becomes unlimited

i do have the newer upgraded plan but to use my cell as hot spot even with unlimited data they limit hot spot on phone to 3 gb

i also have the phoenix tablet screen so i connect that to my 4g hot spot so all works out

OP
OP
ddpt

ddpt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So ended up cancelling AT&T WiFi HOTSPOT that came with the truck and going with the following:

https://www.netgear.com/landings/nighthawk-mnr1100-mobile-router/default.aspx

The nighthawk has a lithium battery that will keep it powered for up to 24 hours or so (maybe longer) even after the ignition is turned off. I will have it go through the Magic Pro setup with Blackvue cameras enabling it to connect to the cloud and my smartphone.

Last edited:

HoldenTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The nighthawk has a lithium battery that will keep it powered for up to 24 hours or so (maybe longer) even after the ignition is turned off. I will have it go through the Magic Pro setup with Blackvue cameras enabling it to connect to the cloud and my smartphone.

What powers the camera(s) when the vehicle is off? If you are out of town for a week do you have to worry about returning to a dead car battery?

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
What powers the camera(s) when the vehicle is off? If you are out of town for a week do you have to worry about returning to a dead car battery?

start the truck from myfordpass from whereever you are in the world.

I have an "old and busted 18" . I keep an ipad pro in the truck for leadnav if I have an issue with my lowrance. I got the 4g version. I just use it as a hotspot, as necessary.

OP
OP
ddpt

ddpt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put your car on a battery tender

HoldenTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A battery tender? PITA. And what if you are leaving it at the airport for a week?
I thought the goal was to leave a camera running 24/7 to see who is messing with it while it is parked - so I was wondering how you accomplish that without leaving you with a dead battery.

OP
OP
ddpt

ddpt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A battery tender? PITA. And what if you are leaving it at the airport for a week?
I thought the goal was to leave a camera running 24/7 to see who is messing with it while it is parked - so I was wondering how you accomplish that without leaving you with a dead battery.
The Nighthawk could be hooked up to an Anker 20000 mA battery pack to keep it charged beyond what its battery does.

OP
OP
ddpt

ddpt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So word of caution if you decide to purchase the Netgear Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspots Model MR1100 that I have. Do not open the box; the IMEI and ICCID numbers are clearly visible on the outside of the box. Do not place either number into AT&T website except as follows below. You will need this information to request AT&T unlock the device.

1. Purchase the ATT Nighthawk LT Mobile Hotspot Router Model MR1100. Best Buy currently has it for $199.99 ($215.49 after tax)
2. Don’t open box yet, otherwise you will pay $45 restocking fee if you have to return it.
3. To submit device unlock request, go to https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/#/ Should take up to 48 hours, but they may approve in minute. You will get an email from AT&T that has links so you can check the progress on the unlock request. You will be given an Unlock Request No:
4. Once the unlock request has been approved, go to https://prepaid.t-mobile.com/prepaid-internet or whomever you wish to sign up for the data plan
5. Click the Chat feature and ask to sign up for $10/mo for 2GB data mobile internet plan. It should cost $10 for the plan, $10 for the SIM and some taxes, so approx. $21
6. They can sign you up via Chat be sending you secured docs thru the Chat system
7. Once signed up, you should receive a SIM card within 5 business days
8. Once you receive SIM, go ahead and unbox Nighthawk
9. Follow the emailed instructions to Unlock Nighthawk
10. You should also download the Netgear Mobile App from Appstore
11. If all goes well and you have successfully activated the Nighthawk and can use it for mobile hotspot internet connectivity, then you can also call 877-207-4529 or 800-937-8997 to sign up for the auto-pay plan so the $10/mo is automatically charged to your CC each month.
12. Then created my T-Mobile sign in: http://www.t-mobile.com
13. Create new account, it will send a verification code to your email AND one to hotspot
14. Hotspot does have ability to receive text messages!!

Unfortunately I am not that great at following instructions and I did not get past #4 since my request was denied (most likely because I entered the IMEI to check if the device could be seen and that was all it took for AT&T to lock it down). So instead of $10/month for 2 GB (T-Mobile) I am stuck with $25/month 3 GB AT&T for 6 months (might actually be 60 days or less).

I'll have the HotSpot powered into the vehicle battery using Power Magic Pro which will monitor car battery to ensure it does not drain. The Blackvue dashcam will also be wired into Power Magic Pro. I'll report on how well it works after the install.

Correction - decided not to wire into Power Magic Pro mainly because I wanted the unit to remain portable. I have since simply velcro tied it to the wall of center console storage and plugged into a portable Anker battery pack 20,000 mAh. So far it has kept it powered for almost 4 days and counting.

Last edited:

traxem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a T-Mobile hotspot in the truck via SyncUp device that plugs into the OBD. It has an internal battery and stays on after the truck is turned off. The reception is so-so. I think one of the benefits of the truck’s hotspot is the external antenna. I’m sure it is much better than tethering.