2019 "Live" suspension mods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WillieFlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I lied about the 1 more question...............

Will progressive rate springs possibly screw up the "thinking" involved in the Fox"Live" setup considering it has software based on a consistent rate Fox spring? Had to ask, since I will be one of beta-testers on this experiment.....

OP
OP
Kahuna

Kahuna

THE MORE YOU PLAY WITH IT, THE BIGGER IT GETS
Reaction score
Possibly which is why I started this thread. Wait to see if the existing Geisers will fit the new shocks and/or impact the algorithms. Enjoy the truck as is for a few weeks.

WillieFlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if the RPG 2.25” spring perch collar may be a better Stage 1 entry level choice to start with, to make up for any droop from the added weight of my ADD Stealth Fighter bumper paired with Add-a-leafs in the back to help with towing my 14’ trailer with the RTLR in it..........gives me a chance to pay off the truck sooner and upgrade to the Geiser springs and Deavers a couple years from now. The truck will be well tested by then.

jzweedyk

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My thought is if the perch collar will work on a 19, then the Geiser springs would work as well. They both raise the truck. The real question is will raising the front screw up the job the shocks do. I want to add the springs, but will drive the truck "as is" until somebody smarter than me figures it out.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
While increased preload will certainly be a variable, I'd venture a guess that there are travel distance sensors and thus a travel speed calculation which has the most influence on the computer making valving adjustments.

If this is the case, as long as the travel speed is within the acceptable range for the truck, the computer won't care about the increased preload. It will just continue to make adjustments based on the values it picks up from the sensors/calculations. The "static" value really means nothing in this context. Pre-load is how you get additional static height.

Even if the springs are a softer rate, the computer is adjusting valving to maintain the optimum travel speed of the suspension. So again, as long as your spring preload change isn't out of the acceptable range, the computer will continue to chase what it has been told is "perfect" or "correct".

You have to train ai/ml/dl with the correct answer so it can make Inferences for you. No "AI" that I'm aware of in the world can have any beneficial impact if you can't tell it what the correct answer is before it starts crunching data.

I.e.- you have to tell a computer what a dog is before it could tell you whether a picture is of a dog or a cat.

This scenario isn't any different. A group of engineers spent thousands of hours figuring out what the "correct" suspension travel speed should be. The entire live valving system is designed to maintain this "correct" condition and adjusts compression (high-speed and low speed) and possibly rebound to achieve "correct".

I'd also guess that the valving becomes variable rather quickly and calculations are more intense the closer the travel range is to "bump zone".

This is all a theory and hasnt been validated at all, but my company does a fair bit of real-time race analytics for various F1 teams, so I know a little about how the calcs are done.

I'd guess that the adjustment maps aren't hugely different between modes, just a tad more aggressive with adding more valving in the off-road modes.

- edited to add a bit more clarity.

Last edited:

WillieFlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While increased preload will certainly be a variable, I'd venture a guess that there are travel distance sensors and thus a travel speed calculation which has the most influence on the computer making valving adjustments.

If this is the case, as long as the travel speed is within the acceptable range for the truck, the computer won't care about the increased preload. It will just continue to make adjustments based on the values it picks up from the sensors/calculations. The "static" value really means nothing in this context. Pre-load is how you get additional static height.

Even if the springs are a softer rate, the computer is adjusting valving to maintain the optimum travel speed of the suspension. So again, as long as your spring preload change isn't out of the acceptable range, the computer will continue to chase what it has been told is "perfect" or "correct".

You have to train ai/ml/dl/ci/CD with the correct answer so it can make I ferences for you.

This scenario isn't any different.

This is all a theory and hasnt been validated at all, but my company does a fair bit of real-time race analytics for various F1 teams, so I know a little about how the calcs are done.

I'd guess that the adjustment maps aren't hugely different between modes, just a tad more aggressive with adding more valving in the off-road modes.

o_O o_O Holy crap zombiekiller, that was some pretty deep, and technical analysis right there, man.......:favorites13:...... so, if I understand correctly, it sounds like the increased preload from the RPG collars shouldn't affect the sensors, since they may be controlling valving by detecting the differences in shock extension/compression and extension/compression speeds......makes sense....

Loufish

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't think there are any shock travel sensors on the
Polaris (the only thing we have to compare to right now) but the are 3d accelerometers in the shocks ECU....and the only adjustment being made is compression damping at the reservoir...I'm guessing there is a pulse width modulated needle valve in there...
IF so...changing static ride height shouldn't throw off the main valving any more then it does know...

06z

Full Access Member
Reaction score

WillieFlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Search for Geiser springs. These are preferred to eibach.

06z, it does seem most here favor Geisers, but some have said they ride stiffer than since they are progressive. Hoping for feedback from someone whose had the Eibach, because I don’t want to sacrifice ride quality. This is going to be my DD, so majority of my time will be 50 mile round trip for work each day.