2019 depreciation vs lower trim level F-150

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alwaysworkin

Reaction score
I'll start out by saying what I'm asking for is essentially "best guesses", but figured some input from others wouldn't hurt. I'm really close to moving forward on a 2019 Raptor for invoice and what I feel is a more than fair valuation on my trade. However, I can't turn a blind eye to the massive dealer discounts and Ford incentives the lower trims are getting. Affordability isn't the issue here, it's more not making a financial decision I'll regret later. The Raptor is something a very much want for my current vehicle needs, a loaded Lariat would more than cover my needs.

Part of my thought process with all of this is depreciation between the two models. I'm using 3 years of ownership as a basis, although would love to own whatever I choose longer assuming my needs don't change much. The delta between the two looks to be $12,000 and that's without any type of private offer that may or may not be rolling out with the new quarter underway. I'm sure the 2021 redesign is going to hit both trucks on depreciation, in addition to the regular drop. I guess my question is, do you guys still think the Raptor is going to fare better than a Lariat over the next few years? And I'm talking about the hit off of purchase price, not MSRP.

My gut tells me the Gen2 Raptors aren't going to repeat history like the Gen1's did due to more supply and subsequent discounting from dealers. But, I'd still like to hope they'll hold up better than the other trims and if Ford delays the redesigned Raptor by a year or two that will only help. Thanks for any input!

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
The Raptor doesn't fit into a regular flow chart. Owning and driving one is a visceral experience, compared to the Lariat, and other trucks in general.

How much is it worth to you to sit in your Lariat at a stop light, or the bottom of a sand dune, for that matter, and look see a Raptor? This is the $$ amount you need to figure out. I don't think the Delta will overcome whatever number that is.

After a year of ownership, this is the 1st vehicle I've owned that I didn't start thinking about something else. Not that I get a new one every single year, but I don't even have the itch. It's worth every penny, and I didn't even get it for invoice.

OP
OP
A

alwaysworkin

Reaction score
The Raptor doesn't fit into a regular flow chart. Owning and driving one is a visceral experience, compared to the Lariat, and other trucks in general.

How much is it worth to you to sit in your Lariat at a stop light, or the bottom of a sand dune, for that matter, and look see a Raptor? This is the $$ amount you need to figure out. I don't think the Delta will overcome whatever number that is.

After a year of ownership, this is the 1st vehicle I've owned that I didn't start thinking about something else. Not that I get a new one every single year, but I don't even have the itch. It's worth every penny, and I didn't even get it for invoice.

It's that intangible visceral experience that brought the Raptor to my radar in the first place, and the hardest for me to put a number on. To be honest I'm likely to be one of those that rarely gets their's off road. I initially discounted the Raptor from my shopping list because I knew I'd rarely get it off road and that the other trims would more than fulfill my needs. But, the desire for something special that makes me grin during regular errands brought me to the Raptor. After a few test drives I tried to scratch it off the list due to it's shear size and a very tight garage fitment with width. Can't shake it though and always keep coming back.

I'm one of those guys that always has trouble justifying luxury items. If the discounting and incentives weren't so crazy on the lower trims I'd have bought the Raptor by now. I'm also one of those that analyzes past car ownership and depreciation hits as a way of measuring how well one vehicle measures up against others I've owned. The ones that took the biggest hit during my ownership always sting the most and give me pause before pulling the trigger. At the end of the day this is something that will fulfill my fairly regular need for something with a bed, but hopefully will bring some enjoyment as well. The primary reason off road sessions aren't likely to happen for me is an utter lack of time between family and work. Having something that gives me a smile during run of the mill trips around town certainly couldn't be bad for my health.

Simplejack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do not think Raptors will depreciate like the other f150 lines. I have yet to see a Ford commercial where Raptors are given a manufacturer's discount, Ford rebate, Ford special financing, 1st responder discount ect.. like the other trims. Seems to be up to dealer discretion on what the Raptors get sold for. imo that will hold up resale value more. my .02c
also agree with above, I've had mine over a year and have no desire to look/buy any other truck.

duracell24

Reaction score
I was in the exact same boat a week or so ago. Like GCATX, I’m always getting the itch after a year or so of buying something. It’s a problem...I know.

I bought a 2017 King Ranch in late 2016. Ironically, had an order on a Raptor but the dealer slowed played the order to the point where I had to move with the military and I had to bite the bullet and just get a King Ranch. Military moved me to DC, I hated having a full sized truck, and I sold it. I lost $8k after owning it for 8 months. I got it for something like $10-11k off MSRP, so I didn’t completely overpay for it. Biggest loss I ever took on a vehicle.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago and I had been driving a Tacoma TRD Pro for a while. It was ok. I definitely never got excited about driving it after the first week. My wife hated that truck, and she is normally pretty apathetic about vehicles.

I got permission to get rid of it and go back to a full sized truck. Narrowed it down to another King Ranch or a Raptor. Had a $2500 private offer from Ford in addition to the super low prices on the leftover 2019s. I was down to like $16-$17k off MSRP on a King Ranch. I talked to my wife about the price difference between that and a Raptor (significant at this point) and she said “You’ve always wanted a Raptor, if we can afford it, don’t cut corners this time. Every time we’re driving down the road in your KR and you see a Raptor you’ll point it out like you do now.”

I’ve owned the Raptor for a week now and it’s been the best vehicle decision I’ve ever made. I constantly make up reasons to drive it. It’s a completely different experience than a Lariat/Platinum/KR. There is nothing wrong with those trucks. They are great trucks. The Raptor is a great experience. It’s just completely different.

I am also fairly confident that in 4-5 years, my Raptor will be worth more than the difference I would have paid getting the KR. Even if the difference isn’t covered and I spent a little more on the Raptor, I won’t care a bit. I giggle like a school girl every time I see it in the lot and start it up. Even my wife said “wow, this is kinda cool” the first time she rode in it and we stomped on it a bit.

The decision is yours! But I know what I would do in your case...

OP
OP
A

alwaysworkin

Reaction score
Wow, thanks for the awesome reply! Funny how similar our situations were, especially in that my wife has been telling me for weeks to just buy the Raptor. She doesn't manage the finances though so I take a lot of that encouragement with a grain of salt. Before I noticed your reply I typed up my draft to the dealer asking for a little more help financially for me to do the deal today. I'll send it out in a couple of hours once they're open and see how it goes.

I agree that the other F-150 trims are still great trucks, especially for those that use them to do truck things. It's that special driving experience the Raptor brings that makes it so appealing. I can't recall ever being so unsure about a vehicle purchase. I think the biggest hold up is that in a perfect world I either wouldn't have a need for a truck, or would have a less expensive truck and a separate fun car. I promised myself I wouldn't go back to two cars until I have garage space to house both, so the Raptor seems to be the best option between a unique driving experience and utility.

Your reply definitely helped me realize I'm making the right choice. I'll post some pics if things work out.

Scottx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Raptor- basically stock wins its class at Baja then drives 400 miles home.
A desert racer/ Pre runner all around great truck, that also thinks it’s a sports car.
Love mine fun ride every time miles of smiles.
Wouldn’t trade it for anything and who the hell cares about depreciation?????wtf reason is that?(mine76,000$)ain’t takin it$$with you you know
People are still lining up to buy raptors where else do you see that???but buy whatever you want and drool every time you see one and wish you did too.

Dadio 1966

Reaction score
If you have the means, you will not be happy if you settle for a better deal. Get what you want and don't look back. I was torn, or thought I would be between the Limited and the Raptor. You see which one won and not a single regret. The truck is a thrill from the time I push the start button until I park it in the garage.