2018 w/ 10k miles. Hard 4th to 5th shift?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dlow

Reaction score
My truck is bucking shifting from 4th to 5th. I've only had it a few weeks and just noticed this, because 3rd to 5th doesn't seem to do it as bad. It's really noticeable in sport mode at about 60% throttle and when using the paddle shifters. What should I be asking the service department to make sure the issue is addressed? I've seen several comments about roll pin recalls, clearing tables, updating various calibrations as well as some complaints of dealerships not fully addressing the problem with these new transmissions.

Also, any recommendations for a reputable service center in the Atlanta area that can be trusted to take a look?

docskeet1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW my 18 shifted hard at first. The transmission learns your driving style over time. I’m @2,000+ miles and it’s shifting nicely in both normal & sport modes. With an older truck you can literally reprogram it to forget old shifting profiles and relearn from scratch. Any Ford dealer should be able to do this for you.

OP
OP
D

dlow

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Hope it's just a learned behavior thing. For what it's worth, I bought the truck cpo and it had 9k miles on it when I got it. It has 10k now.

Robtor310

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Theres a TSB out for hard shifts and a trans reprogramming. Mine will do a hard 4-5 up or a 4-3 down. Dealer will take care of it just havent had time to drop it off.

Simplejack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2018 June build with 5k miles. mine is at dealership right now. had them fix seatbelt recall and look at my transmission. Mine has rough shifts and has slammed into gear a couple times. They called me an hour and a half ago asking if I had a tune on the truck which I dont. I will keep you posted when I hear anything.

squeak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Theres a TSB out for hard shifts and a trans reprogramming. Mine will do a hard 4-5 up or a 4-3 down. Dealer will take care of it just havent had time to drop it off.
Mine downshifted hard 4-3. Dealer updated pcm and tcm now it's perfect. Mine is a '17 with about 15,000 miles.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Simplejack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
got my truck back, dealer said update didnt take on my transmission so they had it updated, now good to go. It does shift smoother now so I can't complain. I'm guessing that means it got reflashed or updated tcm/pcm like others said.