2018 vs 2020 Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

crouton

Reaction score
As was mentioned, I wonder why the dealer did not just remove the other side? If I was in the used car business, that is what I would have done without a second thought.

In their defense it's not a Ford dealer (more of a used 'exclusive' higher end cars kind of dealership) and they probably don't even know if it's supposed to be like this or have 2 decals. Thank you for the input!

it could have been pin striped off while off road, and then repainted.

it looks pretty good in the picture. It’s got a bed cover, powder coated non-bead lock capable wheels, and looks like new tires.

I assumed it might've started to peel off or something, or I don't know, maybe the previous owner digged the look, lol.
And correct! A truck without a bed cover doesn't exist over here, and they're all already there. Also love the wheels. The 2020 had grey beadlock ready wheels but these look really nice. It looks so damn good but obivously it's from a dealer's website, so yeah haha

2). Trail control.

Oh that's interesting... I mean it's not like I can still get a 2020, they're all sold out, but that would be something I would've liked. :confused:
Also sucks the 2018 still has the old parts regarding the cam phaser issue. Forum members have told me it's not too common but still... better safe than sorry. Don't know...
Thanks!

Thanks, for real? Nothing worth checking if decide to go visit it?
Not gonna lie I kinda want one but obviously also don't want to blow my hard earned cash on a bad truck, of course.

Also I just noticed TFL announced the debut of the 2021 (??) Raptor on February 3rd, lol. But I really love the 2nd gens. Man y'all are making it tough hahah :D

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
2). Trail control. It's described at off road cruise control but it's so much more than that. It combines hill decent/cruise control and wheel management into one. When engaged the system will search for the wheels that have the most traction. You can't duplicate this manually and it amazing at getting unstuck.

Trail control may be good at getting you unstuck, I don't know. I do know that a good driver can beat trail control when you're crawling. But trail control is good enough that if you feel lazy you can just sit back and steer if you want.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A couple of Nit picks...for nit picks sake...it is the internet after all...:)

1) Suspension completely changed .

This is incorrect. All the changed was Live Valve shocks. the other 90% of the suspension is the same. A arms, springs, leaf springs, stabilizers. All the same. All Live Valve does is changes shock dampening and rebound. It is good, but not all that special.

2). Trail control. It's described at off road cruise control but it's so much more than that. It combines hill decent/cruise control and wheel management into one. When engaged the system will search for the wheels that have the most traction. You can't duplicate this manually and it amazing at getting unstuck.

Anyone who is competent with left foot braking can and does exactly what trail control does going up hill. 2017-2018 hill decent control is variable and functions the exact same way as 2019-2020. Trail control is not some magic system. It is low speed cruise and nothing more. Left foot braking does the exact same thing.

3). minor gauge/electronic upgrades.

The better gauge package is arguably the best upgrade in the truck, but you can live without it.

As far as the cam phasers the 2019 model year came with upgraded/updated parts that are supposed to reduce or eliminate the issue....same as the MY20 builds.

The correct answer is late 2018's and on have this fix. If your truck build date is after July 2018, you are golden in regards to Cam Phaser issues.

pbtjrlmrt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In their defense it's not a Ford dealer (more of a used 'exclusive' higher end cars kind of dealership) and they probably don't even know if it's supposed to be like this or have 2 decals. Thank you for the input!

I assumed it might've started to peel off or something, or I don't know, maybe the previous owner digged the look, lol.
And correct! A truck without a bed cover doesn't exist over here, and they're all already there. Also love the wheels. The 2020 had grey beadlock ready wheels but these look really nice. It looks so damn good but obivously it's from a dealer's website, so yeah haha

Oh that's interesting... I mean it's not like I can still get a 2020, they're all sold out, but that would be something I would've liked. :confused:
Also sucks the 2018 still has the old parts regarding the cam phaser issue. Forum members have told me it's not too common but still... better safe than sorry. Don't know...
Thanks!
:D

Not gonna lie I kinda want one but obviously also don't want

Thanks!

Not gonna lie I kinda want one but obviously also don't want to blow my hard earned cash on a bad truck, of course.

Also I just noticed TFL announced the debut of the 2021 (??) Raptor on February 3rd, lol. But I really love the 2nd gens. Man y'all are making it tough hahah :D

The options I mentioned are all available on the 2019 not just the 2020

pbtjrlmrt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trail control may be good at getting you unstuck, I don't know. I do know that a good driver can beat trail control when you're crawling. But trail control is good enough that if you feel lazy you can just sit back and steer if you want.

If you think you can out drive trail control then you don't understand it. I'm not saying it's always better but under certain circumstances trail control altering traction using individual wheel braking is NOT something you can do manually.

pbtjrlmrt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A couple of Nit picks...for nit picks sake...it is the internet after all...:)

This is incorrect. All the changed was Live Valve shocks. the other 90% of the suspension is the same. A arms, springs, leaf springs, stabilizers. All the same. All Live Valve does is changes shock dampening and rebound. It is good, but not all that special.

Anyone who is competent with left foot braking can and does exactly what trail control does going up hill. 2017-2018 hill decent control is variable and functions the exact same way as 2019-2020. Trail control is not some magic system. It is low speed cruise and nothing more. Left foot braking does the exact same thing.

The better gauge package is arguably the best upgrade in the truck, but you can live without it.

The correct answer is late 2018's and on have this fix. If your truck build date is after July 2018, you are golden in regards to Cam Phaser issues.

You need to research the mechanics of trail control better. Alternating traction between all 4 wheels individually is unique to trail control and is NOT something you can do manually with left foot braking.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you think you can out drive trail control then you don't understand it. I'm not saying it's always better but under certain circumstances trail control altering traction using individual wheel braking is NOT something you can do manually.

According to the instructors at Raptor Assault, the individual wheel braking is a feature of getting unstuck, not of crawling. I had the same opinion as you until I talked to them, since in theory individual wheel braking would be the shit. I've also played with it enough on trails to know that I can do better if I focus. YMMV

OP
OP
C

crouton

Reaction score

Damn, first registration was September 2018, so it could go both ways...
Thanks!

The options I mentioned are all available on the 2019 not just the 2020

Yes, I meant that I considered a (brand new) 2020 first but unfortunately they're all sold out, and the only decent used one with no more than +50k km (35k mi) I can find is this 2018. No 2019's available.

I just found an old screenshot from an off-road shop on Instagram and guess what... it's literally THIS raptor (could see a part of the license plate). They installed the fog lights and light bar behind the grille fall of 2019. I e-mailed them so maybe I could get in touch with the previous owner, but kinda doubt they'll give out his number. It's against our privacy laws.
Also figured out this model was originally for eastern europe, they don't have things like adaptive cruise control in the 802A package, whereas Western Europe (where I am) does. Cars always get mixed up but this is a feature I would appreciate. Not a huge deal but still.

I also found out there are a few brand new 2018 and 2019 models in the Netherlands available (I believe 2018 for Western Europe and 2019 Eastern so without adaptive cruise but both 802A), surprisingly at an decent price (cars are typically more expensive over there). I'm gonna make a few calls on Monday. Annoying thing is I'm not allowed to travel there now but I'm gonna try to make it work.

It's a struggle with supply being so little and the covid restrictions, but damn... I really want one so I think it's worth it, lol!

pbtjrlmrt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
According to the instructors at Raptor Assault, the individual wheel braking is a feature of getting unstuck, not of crawling. I had the same opinion as you until I talked to them, since in theory individual wheel braking would be the shit. I've also played with it enough on trails to know that I can do better if I focus. YMMV

Totally agree. It's the getting unstuck part that's not something you can do manually