2018 vs 2020 Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crouton

Reaction score
Hey guys

Little backstory you don't need to read:

Last month I made my first post on here because I considered a brand new Raptor. I got great advice from the awesome forum members on here! Thank you so much!!

I got second doubts when the dealer told me it'd take 3 months (emission taxes are going to change, so it'd be an extra €13,5k (16,5k USD) for me to get it registered) + as stubborn as I was, I wanted to pay more cash and they refused. They sell like hot cakes, by the time I got home the very last model I could've bought in Europe was already gone... :(
Kinda regretted not doing it, but I started to assume I'd just have to live with it. Like others have noticed, the dealership also gave me very weird vibes and was less than professional, for being the no.1 dealer in Western Europe (even giving wrong information you guys corrected).
For fun, I searched for used Raptors near me (since the 2nd gens are only 4 years old max there aren't a lot for sale).

BUT DAMN. I found one 1,5 hrs away from me and I have the Raptor fever again. I start drooling when I see the pictures, lol.
It's a 2018 with converted about 35k miles.
I just wanted to check with the experts on here what the differences are and whether or not it's a smart purchase?

Pro's:
- looks REALLY clean, still. Both exterior and interior (only driver's seat has normal signs of wear)
- mileage is OK, I assume
- can probably get it within 2 weeks
- I'm beyond excited I found another Raptor
- definitely nowhere near as expensive as the new one
- all-leather interior vs. the standard cloth inserts in 2020 (which another awesome member told me is a feature - but I have to admit I love the look of leather a little more, although it can be a con when it starts to show wear)
- all options already availble (tonneau, good looking mud flaps, ...)
- BiFuel
- dealership gives me a good first impression

Cons:
- still pretty expensive (trucks in general, but especially full sizes/half tons or more hold their value like crazy)
- never really bought used, maybe more risks?
- different shock set-up
- it's missing one Raptor decal on the driver's side, lol
- beadlock wheels were standard on 2020, although the regular black rims on the 2018 look really nice
- ???

edit: oh and another difference is a foot parking brake instead of electronic, but I don't really care about that (except if the 2020 parking brake was automatic, but I don't think so)

Also someone told me the cam phaser issue (which does scare me a little) was fixed in 2020. Am I more likely to run into this with a 2018? Ford doesn't cover it under recalls over here.
It has one outstanding recall for a potentional fire in a pillar somewhere.

Are the two shock set-ups very different? I'm not gonna jump it and there are no rocks to crawl here, just mud and grass my RAM can't even handle. I test drove the 2020 with orange shocks and it drove super smooth on road, over bumps, potholes, very stable at 145 kmh / 90 mph, ... Are the blue ones different in terms of smoothness?

I'm sorry for the long post again. I was just so amazed by how nice and helpful everyone was last time (on a RAM forum they call you a dumba** before you even introduced yourself). Even though I couldn't make a deal with the first dealer... I can't seem to let this go, lol.

Any advice greatly appreciated!!!!
Thank you so much! :D

Last edited:

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
2018 is a really good truck. I’m not sure what decal is missing; hood, bed side? that’s going to look a little odd. mileage is ok and yes, -some- limited number of Raptors had the cam phaser park failure issue that was addressed I think in late 2018 or early 2019(?) You can tell if the truck has the problem on a cold startup.
- you need to start the truck COLD. At least 8 hours, and preferably overnight. Use a laser thermometer to ensure the truck has not been started. If the truck is significantly warmer than ambient temperature, it’s probably been started. You can hear videos of it on youtube, most Raptors don’t sound anywhere near as bad as previous generation eco boost engines did. Still, it’s not good sounding.

A lot of people who have had ’17-’18 trucks and the newer model with the live valve shocks have said here they prefer the older ones for ride quality. I don’t doubt the live valve shocks are more efficient when you push the truck, however... they’re also more error prone and when there’s a fault, they default to the full hard setting. The dumb shocks don’t have this issue, obviously.

Here on FRF we are a lot tougher on n00b / newbie users than the ram forum. Until otherwise proven:

You are a toyota prius driver ! :p
********* pale in comparison.

good luck!

OP
OP
C

crouton

Reaction score
@smurfslayer thank you!!! Yes, it's the decal above the rear wheels. I like the look on both sides but I guess I'd take the other one off, if it doesn't leave a mark... I think the 2018 decals look slightly different compared to the 2020 I've seen.

Screen-Shot-2021-01-28-at-19-26-17.png
Here's a pic from there website where the decal is missing, looks clean, though!

I'll try to go Monday. Not sure if it's allowed with travel restrictions (right over the border in the Netherlands - but it has Belgian documents), but I really want to go see it!

I think the 2020 with the live shocks was already so incredibly smooth on-road! (WAY way better than my way less capable RAM). The fact that the blue ones are less complicated might be a pro, though, indeed!

Here on FRF we are a lot tougher on n00b / newbie users than the ram forum.

You're kidding, everyone was so nice and welcoming, lol! Which is truly what made me want to get it even more. Learned way more from one post on this forum than from the actual sales guy, who honestly was really not good.

I also trust this dealer way more already, giving me a copy of the truck's passport, pictures of the official BiFuel system, and so on, ...

I obviously can't let it go so it's a sign I must buy one, lol. Looking at the pictures almost turns me on. :p

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Taking the beside decal off is rather easy. Just use a heat gun, some goo-b-gone, and some effort, and it will come right off. There is a chance of fading, but mine sat for a good 8 months or so in the sun, plus whatever previous owner did with it, and no fading whatsoever.

Still I would ask the dealership to take it off before you buy. Decent chance they will, as any customer would want that. If there's any damage or fading to deal with, they can deal with it.

tractorman

Reaction score
If one side decal is missing and not the other, I'd be suspicious of a repaired truck that suffered some body damage that has been fixed, but for whatever reason, the decal was not replaced. The problem with my theory is that it makes little sense for a dealer to do that. They would most likely just remove the other side so they would match. It is worth checking into.

OP
OP
C

crouton

Reaction score
Still I would ask the dealership to take it off before you buy. Decent chance they will, as any customer would want that.

Yup, I'll ask them. Was a little hesitant because don't want them to do it wrong and add swirl marks, but I guess they're professional so they probably know what they're doing! Thanks!

If one side decal is missing and not the other, I'd be suspicious of a repaired truck that suffered some body damage that has been fixed, but for whatever reason, the decal was not replaced.

Thank you, great observation!! I didn't even think about that.
However, he did give me the report card (if you want to sell your car used, you need to bring it in for inspection and get a report card with everything that's working/not working, the mileage everytime it was brought in for an oil change e.d., and if it was involved in any sort of accident).
It seems like it was never brought in for anything other than an oil change and it doesn't mention any collisions or bodywork... I'll check for any visible damage, wouldn't want a truck with frame damage or something like that tbh (or at least not for this price).

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Repaired truck was my first thought, as well. Why would someone only remove one side of the stickers? Lots of people remove the bedside stickers, and I even modified mine to make them much smaller with just the Raptor letters remaining. However, everyone who makes changes, always does BOTH sides to match!

As was mentioned, I wonder why the dealer did not just remove the other side? If I was in the used car business, that is what I would have done without a second thought.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
it could have been pin striped off while off road, and then repainted.

it looks pretty good in the picture. It’s got a bed cover, powder coated non-bead lock capable wheels, and looks like new tires. Check them; they look like the BFG KO2, make sure they are the C load range KO2, not the E range which is more common and not as compliant / heavier.

Also: #BlackRaptorsMatter

pbtjrlmrt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

Little backstory you don't need to read:

Last month I made my first post on here because I considered a brand new Raptor. I got great advice from the awesome forum members on here! Thank you so much!!

I got second doubts when the dealer told me it'd take 3 months (emission taxes are going to change, so it'd be an extra €13,5k (16,5k USD) for me to get it registered) + as stubborn as I was, I wanted to pay more cash and they refused. They sell like hot cakes, by the time I got home the very last model I could've bought in Europe was already gone... :(
Kinda regretted not doing it, but I started to assume I'd just have to live with it. Like others have noticed, the dealership also gave me very weird vibes and was less than professional, for being the no.1 dealer in Western Europe (even giving wrong information you guys corrected).
For fun, I searched for used Raptors near me (since the 2nd gens are only 4 years old max there aren't a lot for sale).

BUT DAMN. I found one 1,5 hrs away from me and I have the Raptor fever again. I start drooling when I see the pictures, lol.
It's a 2018 with converted about 35k miles.
I just wanted to check with the experts on here what the differences are and whether or not it's a smart purchase?

Pro's:
- looks REALLY clean, still. Both exterior and interior (only driver's seat has normal signs of wear)
- mileage is OK, I assume
- can probably get it within 2 weeks
- I'm beyond excited I found another Raptor
- definitely nowhere near as expensive as the new one
- all-leather interior vs. the standard cloth inserts in 2020 (which another awesome member told me is a feature - but I have to admit I love the look of leather a little more, although it can be a con when it starts to show wear)
- all options already availble (tonneau, good looking mud flaps, ...)
- BiFuel
- dealership gives me a good first impression

Cons:
- still pretty expensive (trucks in general, but especially full sizes/half tons or more hold their value like crazy)
- never really bought used, maybe more risks?
- different shock set-up
- it's missing one Raptor decal on the driver's side, lol
- beadlock wheels were standard on 2020, although the regular black rims on the 2018 look really nice
- ???

edit: oh and another difference is a foot parking brake instead of electronic, but I don't really care about that (except if the 2020 parking brake was automatic, but I don't think so)

Also someone told me the cam phaser issue (which does scare me a little) was fixed in 2020. Am I more likely to run into this with a 2018? Ford doesn't cover it under recalls over here.
It has one outstanding recall for a potentional fire in a pillar somewhere.

Are the two shock set-ups very different? I'm not gonna jump it and there are no rocks to crawl here, just mud and grass my RAM can't even handle. I test drove the 2020 with orange shocks and it drove super smooth on road, over bumps, potholes, very stable at 145 kmh / 90 mph, ... Are the blue ones different in terms of smoothness?

I'm sorry for the long post again. I was just so amazed by how nice and helpful everyone was last time (on a RAM forum they call you a dumba** before you even introduced yourself). Even though I couldn't make a deal with the first dealer... I can't seem to let this go, lol.

Any advice greatly appreciated!!!!
Thank you so much! :D

The main changes are three fold
1) Suspension completely changed ti Live Valve that includes sensors around the truck tochange the suspension dynamics under various driving conditions. It's not just jumping the truck. Not sure how much difference without directly comparing old vs new under all driving conditions

2). Trail control. It's described at off road cruise control but it's so much more than that. It combines hill decent/cruise control and wheel management into one. When engaged the system will search for the wheels that have the most traction. You can't duplicate this manually and it amazing at getting unstuck.

3). minor gauge/electronic upgrades.

As far as the cam phasers the 2019 model year came with upgraded/updated parts that are supposed to reduce or eliminate the issue....same as the MY20 builds.

Brett Rahn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am in the paint and body business and I would run
Decals that size don’t fall off it was hit and hat enough to require it’s removal period. Did they put a bed side on it etc. who ever is selling should have put it back on as this is a super red flag. Run man