GEN 2 2018 SCREW long distance trip report with MPG

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
O

OriginalToken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Excellent, thanks for the information on Engineering Test Mode. I was able to get into it first try and set my AFE bias. Now the Trip B MPG indicated matches exactly what I achieved over the ~5950 mile trip. I will have to see how that carries forward.

<<<snip>>>

Follow up on this. I have filled up 3 times since then, in about 1100 miles. The MPG indication has been within 0.2 MPG (low) of the calculated value all three times.

This is an excellent change to make, and easy to do. I can now believe my MPG indication, instead of assuming it is at least 1 MPG to high.

T!

zemuron99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great, glad it's worked out well for you! Still haven't been able to get mine into ETM to correct my AFE bias.

sean1968

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is a real possibility. What do you think the chances are there are two configured like that? ;)

When did you see it?

T!
That explains the gear and attention to detail on the install. You must be an engineer on base... literally a rocket scientist. LOL!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
O

OriginalToken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is your total cost for all the radio and scanners?

It depends on what parts you include. For example, I added the Go-Rhino light bar stuff just for antennas, so I suppose I would have to include that in the cost. Plus, I had all of the radios and antennas on hand before I owned the Raptor, so I did not buy any radio specifically for this install.

And, the setup seen in these pictures is not what is currently in the truck, that was a temp setup while I got some other gear repaired that I wanted in the truck.

But, as it is shown here:

Go-Rhino gear, sport bar and power lay down including everything to install: $1100
Kenwood TS-480SAT HF radio: $950 (list is like 1300, but it is always on sale someplace)
Yaesu FT-7900R: $290
Tarheel 75A antenna package: $790
MFJ-1924 screwdriver antenna controller: $140
Comet 2X4SR antenna: $65
Diamond 685S antenna: $40
Diamond NR770HB antenna: $60
VHF/UHF antenna mounts, with coax: $90 (ea, x3)
Uniden BCD536HP scanner: $500
GPS
Miscellaneous installation materials: $150

Total: about $3255 not counting the sport/light bar

What does that give me?

Receive capability on all ham bands from 160 meters up to 23 cm. All mode transmit capability on all ham bands from 80 meters to 6 meters. FM transmit on 2 meters and 70cm. I hold a ham Extra class license, so all ham frequencies are available to me for use.

Scanner capability that can handle most unencrypted transmissions. The GPS allows the scanner to change frequencies as we move down the road, always accessing the data base for the location we are at.

In theory the FT7900R can also transmit on FRS and GMRS frequencies, however that would not be legal. Using it to monitor them is 100% legal.

And in theory the Kenwood TS480 can transmit on CB frequencies, however that also would not be legal. Using it to monitor them is 100% legal.

Basically, if it is unencrypted, I can probably monitor it, including many common digital modes. Police, fire, BLM, desert race frequencies, military (a surprising amount of that is still unencrypted), etc.

And I have never found a location, no matter how remote, where I could not contact (2 way communications) someone on some frequency if I wanted or needed to.

Plus, it's a hobby.

T!

Last edited: