2018 Raptor Sudden Engine Knock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DaveD71

Reaction score
Hey everyone. On a road trip and when I came off the highway I noticed some engine knocking but didn't think much of it. Started it up today and it's pretty loud. It got quieter when it warmed up, but is still there. I tried to head into the local dealer but they are booked until August.

I'm trying to figure out if I can keep driving it for a while to get home or if I have something serious going on. No warning lights on, temp is good and drives fine. No power loss or hesitation. Anyone recognize the noise by chance?

Thanks!

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
First, have you checked your oil level? That almost sounds like a failed accessory belt tensioner; see if you can get a visual on the tensioner while it’s running. If it’s oscillating back and forth, it’s failed.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I thought I saw some weird movement in the first few seconds of the video where the belt was shown - it was brief, but tough to be sure.

that’s a weird noise.

OP
OP
D

DaveD71

Reaction score
Well, there's some pulley movement for sure... Feeling like a bigger problem all of a sudden.

Cam Phasers replaced a while ago with no lingering issues.

Fl
uids are all fine too.

OP
OP
D

DaveD71

Reaction score
Doesn't look like the tensioner though. Looks like the crankshaft if I'm seeing it right.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Doesn't look like the tensioner though. Looks like the crankshaft if I'm seeing it right.
Yep. Looks like the crank pulley if wobbling. Since you had phasers done, the crank pulley had to be removed and reinstalled. It is absolutely critical that the crank pulley bolt be replaced and the new bolt be torqued following the specific procedure. I would recommend having it towed back to the repairing dealer as it appears to be a workmanship issue.

Here’s the service message Ford released due to these concerns:

SSM 50246 2015-2022 Various Vehicles - Various Engines - Crankshaft Pulley Bolt Torque Procedure
During service and repair requiring removal and replacement of a crankshaft bolt and/or crankshaft damper, achieving proper torque of the crankshaft pulley bolt is critical. Incorrect torque may allow the bolt to loosen resulting in the timing gear breaking and engine damage. Replacement of the bolt is critical to the repair and accurately following the installation procedure in the Workshop Manual (WSM) Section, 303-01 is extremely important. The bolt torque procedure can be found in the crankshaft front seal removal and installation procedure or in the engine assembly procedure.