Help Support Ford Raptor Forum by donating:

2018 Raptor Starup Rattle/Clicking Noise

Discussion in 'Ford F-150 Raptor General Discussions [GEN 2]' started by Swampdriller, May 13, 2020.

1. df4801

df4801 FRF Addict

My 2017 (47,000 miles) only does it for a few seconds on cold start ups (sounds like a smokers cough) and my dealer said they are going to replace the cam phasers

Dont even know if I should even though its covered under warranty. The truck runs great and I'm worried about them ripping apart the engine.

FordTechOne.... would appreciate your thoughts on this.. Thanks!

2. FordTechOne

FordTechOne FRF Addict

If they’ve diagnosed it as cam phasers per the TSB, you might as well have them replaced with the updated parts while under warranty.

The repair is not that intrusive; the main components that need to be removed to access the phasers are the intake manifold, valve covers, and front cover.

3. Predator_Raptor

Predator_Raptor Member

Be prepared to see the cab lifted off the frame. Seems like many service shops prefer removing it to work on the engine.

4. df4801

df4801 FRF Addict

That is what worries me!!! :(

5. Russ B

Russ B Member

Good morning Guys,
    This is in response to my first thread which was posted on Oct 22 at 10:39, finally had my truck ready that Friday afternoon for pickup from the dealer. They ended up replacing all 4 cam phasers and assorted hardware etc. I am on day # 3 from pickup, have been doing the first startup in the morning after sitting all night, has been getting down in the 30s at night. So far everything seems back to normal. No more noise or rattling, seems to have been the problem. Will post if there is a change. Once again, they had my truck for a week, did have to remove the truck off the frame, my dealer said it is about a 3000 dollar repair if not under warranty. I would recommend if you are having this rattle issue and you are under 60k warranty, look at having it done. just my 2 cents worth. RB

6. FastEddie

FastEddie Full Access Member

Just got my 2019 back from the dealer a few days ago after cam phaser replacement. They had it about a week and a half. Not super happy with this whole thing. Like wtf FORD.