GEN 2 2018 Raptor SCREW - Sell Now or Wait?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As others have noted—the vast majority of car/truck prices are artificially inflated at present.

Case in point as I look at the family vehicles owned by my wife, kids, and I (Raptor, LX570, AEV Jeep Rubicon, 4Runner TRD Pro, Tacoma TRD Pro, 911 Carrera, and Newmarket RV):

1. Raptor is waaaay overvalued.
2. LX570 is waaaay overvalued (no more V8s). I’d say that the Land Cruiser and LX V8s are ridiculously overpriced—as much/more so than Raptors at the moment.
3. AEV Rubicon is only minimally overvalued (as the aftermarket parts didn’t appreciate/don’t add value)
4. Both of our kids’ TRD Pros are as overvalued as the Raptor
5. 911 is collectible thus the price is appreciating vs. being influenced by used car prices.
6. Our RV is actually overvalued, but not as much as our cars/trucks.

@smurfslayer nailed it—in that my Raptor has a higher floor than my wife’s LX or my Jeep. Arguably my kids’ TRDs have an equally high floor—as used 4Runners and Tacomas have historically high resale values.

I agree with Smurf in that unless you are going to buy an inexpensive commuter/standard base model car/truck—you’ll likely find most “nice” vehicles overvalued for quite some time.

Best of luck with your decision!

P.S. With a grimace, the most rapidly depreciating vehicle that we've owned in recent years was my wife’s 2012 Mercedes S550. Thank goodness we bought it used—but still took a bath when trading it for a Lexus. Ouch as I had no idea it would tank that much!
Its crazy how fast s550’s depreciate. Fantastic used car if you know a solid Mercedes independent mechanic who will do the work cheaply.

K9 EXPERT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I was 16 my father told me gasoline will cost over a dollar someday, yeah I’m old. Regardless, I didn’t believe him, now look. I purchased my first house in California in 1983 for $79k and sold it 5 years later for 105k. I thought I made a killing. According to Zillow it sold last month for 1.4 million. In the late 90’s I bought 1000 shares of Apple, I forgot what I made after I sold the stock but I thought it was a lot, it was not! After many more mistakes I received a formal education in money and I still do not know crap. However, one thing I truly believe is, this is a new economy and it will not get better. Because wages are going up, prices will not come down. Google Rolex watch shortage and you will find Rolex is causing the shortage to keep used prices higher, which in turn will increase demand for new watches whose price continues to rise. Nancy and AOC want to print more money, which devalues the dollar and will light the inflation fire. I can use plenty more examples. This will get much worse before it levels off. It will not go down. There may be a few dips, but they will be short lived. Bottomline, a 10k ADM today for a truck that should last 400k miles, may be a bargain in a few years.

Quaesta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep the Raptor unless you buying a new one. War Damn Eagle!

OP
OP
AuburnEagle23

AuburnEagle23

Reaction score
Keep the Raptor unless you buying a new one. War Damn Eagle!
War Damn Eagle! And I think that is where we are leaning, too good of a truck to sell, even with the current inflated value.

Now have to decide if I want to pull the trigger on geisers/deavers/SVC adjustable bump stops :).

RamseyF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would only get rid of it if you don't plan on replacing it in the next year(at least), unless you can get whatever you get at msrp or barely above. I recently sold a convertible (extra car) my wife and I had for 5k more than it was a year earlier. We wanted to replace it for something newer but in no hurry. If that works for you get rid of it but if not hold onto it. Some people have businesses and need it for depreciation thats another reason to go forward as well.